trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools #261  
Well something does fall on trees here. :LOL: Its snow, and it breaks many shoots off. But some survive and grow with this dog leg in them.
i read that when building chariots, the romans etc would search for trees similar to that for the rounded front rail of the chariot.

/ trail clearing technique and tools
This is kind of what our kiosk will look like. Would you guys like to see it in this thread? Or start a new one?
Trailhead-Kiosk.jpg

/ trail clearing technique and tools #263  
Start a new thread on the build? Should be interesting to follow.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #264  
A new thread would be nice.

A little off topic, but we were snowmobiling in Manitoba, and in the middle of nowhere, there was a small warming house with benches, and a wood stove for heat and a top you could cook on. Outside was a supply of wood for the stove. It was miles from any road. I am guessing built and maintained by a snowmobile (snow machine) club, or maybe just a few generous locals. In any case, it was a fun place to stop, whether or not you were cold.

Give me some time guys and I'll start a thread about the kiosk. I'm still working on it but its so, so simple, don't have much to show. The back will just be a piece of 3/4 plywood you staple your notices to. o_O

/ trail clearing technique and tools #266  
Is the XC ski trail you're building on public land or on your land?

Is the XC ski trail you're building on public land or on your land?
Its privet forestry land and the owners (not us) sold public access to it. They still have 100% of it and control motorized access. We obviously work with them doing this or that.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #268  
The only reason I asked was to be curious about the potential for lighting, Many years ago, our County put lighting on a XC Ski Trail. Given how early it gets dark, that was pretty cool. Several years after that, a XC Ski Trail was created in our small town. A XC Ski Club raised funds to have that lighted. In both cases, it was expensive because AC power lines had to be laid underground and mercury vapor lights strategically located on power poles. It was very costly to do.
1636646936541.png

Now you can get a pair of solar Dusk to Dawn motion lights for about $40!

1636647353935.png

/ trail clearing technique and tools #269  
The only reason I asked was to be curious about the potential for lighting, Many years ago, our County put lighting on a XC Ski Trail. Given how early it gets dark, that was pretty cool. Several years after that, a XC Ski Trail was created in our small town. A XC Ski Club raised funds to have that lighted. In both cases, it was expensive because AC power lines had to be laid underground and mercury vapor lights strategically located on power poles. It was very costly to do.
View attachment 720384

Now you can get a pair of solar Dusk to Dawn motion lights for about $40!

View attachment 720385
I have some experience with solar motion lights in my experience they don't last long, usually one led burns out, it starts a chain reaction before you know it the remaining lights are super bright for a little bit than they are all gone. The plastic and actual solar panel seems to degrade in the sun also, especially with the cheaper ones I've bought.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #270  
I bought a pair for my neighbor for her sheep barn and pasture. Before that, she was wearing a headlamp to feed the animals before going to work. I didn't expect much. To my amazement, they stayed lit all night (dusk to dawn - dim), and lit well when they detected motion - even in sub zero weather. This is their second year and they are still going strong. She loves them.

My main point was that Solar LED lighting takes a huge amount of cost out of lighting a trail.