Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #121  
Whoever makes the loaders for Branson 15 series, did the same exact thing on removing the 4 bar linkage and extended the rod of the cylinder to make up for the extra length need. I wonder if it's the same manufacturer for MF too. There have been quite a few complains of bent rods, some here on TBN but most on Facebook. I don't follow any MF group, but it's possible that there are more related cases there, plus this kind of looks like a very new loader that came out recently.
I am a data person at heart. Too many people base their opinions on what people complain about on social media. One of the big problems with that is amplification. The same person complains multiple times about something on different forums. That anecdote gets repeated and people think a significant problem exists where it really does not.

I am not saying it is not a problem, but I would want to see 2 pieces of data. First, failure rates of the two design types, all else equal. Second, and harder to prove, what work was being done when they failed.

In my experience, way too many people with an FEL think they bought a commercial bulldozer.

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #122  
I am a data person at heart. Too many people base their opinions on what people complain about on social media. One of the big problems with that is amplification. The same person complains multiple times about something on different forums. That anecdote gets repeated and people think a significant problem exists where it really does not.

I am not saying it is not a problem, but I would want to see 2 pieces of data. First, failure rates of the two design types, all else equal. Second, and harder to prove, what work was being done when they failed.

In my experience, way too many people with an FEL think they bought a commercial bulldozer.

Exactly!!! They see a FEL and a backhoe on a tractor and expect them to behave like a skidsteer or an excavator. A tractor was never meant to have any of those implements attached to it in the first place. Sure the FEL is super handy to have but it's really meant to move loose material or lift something slightly heavier, not digging, pulling stumps, etc, specially with the oversized attachments like people use in the US with those ridiculous heavy grapples or stump buckets.

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #123  
The rods would be protected ..... if the pivot linkage were in place.
But then, in 2 of my previous posts, there were examples of "pivot linkage" loaders having bent cylinder rods.

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #124  
But then, in 2 of my previous posts, there were examples of "pivot linkage" loaders having bent cylinder rods.
Im still baffled as to why this is all such a mystery.

The pivot links offer NO protection from bending a rod if it is overloaded. Its just a different way to design a loader. You can design either way poorly. Or you can design either way like a tank.

The rods alone offer no resistance to twisting, buckling, keeping the rod straight, or any of the other mythical things I have heard people claim on this thread.

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #125  
Wow, I missed that. What post numbers were those ?

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #127  
Wow, I missed that. What post numbers were those ?
Can happen on any cylinder. The 4-bar doesnt prevent it. Its simply a function of length vs rod diameter and exceeding what is allowable. If you have a 1" rod sticking 20" out of the cylinder barrel.....a given force will make it buckle regardless of what its attached to.

bent.jpg

bent1.jpeg

bent2.jpg

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #128  
Yikes!

/ Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #129  
Can happen on any cylinder. The 4-bar doesnt prevent it. Its simply a function of length vs rod diameter and exceeding what is allowable. If you have a 1" rod sticking 20" out of the cylinder barrel.....a given force will make it buckle regardless of what its attached to.

View attachment 721920
View attachment 721921

View attachment 721923
"a given force will make it buckle regardless of what its attached to."

I certainly agree with that statement. It's interesting how all the cylinder rods bend "down" as if the weight of the cylinder is the determining factor but I think friction in the front pivot joint also contributes.

I do think, however, that the extra link keeping the cylinder rod farther from the pivot joint allows it to take more torque without buckling. I say this because the force produced by a given torque diminishes as the lever arm length increases.

Without the extra link, the cylinder rod will almost fall down on top of the pivot point when it is fully extended. The cylinder rod doesn't stand much of a chance when this close to the pivot.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Cheap FEL cylinders keep bending #130