Tractor Shortages

/ Tractor Shortages #91  
Another benefit for Toyota was that a defect later discovered in millions of parts or assemblies were not sitting in a warehouse only to be installed in the rest of that model year or more. By having a limited inventory, corrections were made so only a limited number of vehicles were affected. One notable exception being the frame rot on their pickups, a result of a lighter frame that was no match for road salt. Of course, they also stopped the line if a problem was discovered during assembly and a solution was found then and there by the workers, unlike the US brands which would push the defective cars out to the dealers to find a remedy. Germans would let the defect get to the end of the line where a team would make corrections before shipment to dealers and add that sometimes substantial cost onto the MSRP of the cars. All of this in a great book I read many years ago. And we wonder how the Japanese lines took over the auto industry.
Interesting post. I worked for a major global heavy truck manufacturer for 40 years. Many of those years I worked in the function that taught and trained people all over the world in the "Lean" manufacturing techniques. It is generally one of the least understood methodologies I can think of. One example is that a good lean supply chain is a short supply chain. Many good lean companies have their suppliers virtually next door in supplier parks etc. This reduces inventory in the chain but avoids the interruptions of transport and/or weather disruptions. Further, the amount of inventory held from any given supplier is calculated based on many factors including supplier reliability, chances for disruption, and the normal replenishment cycle time etc. I could go on forever LOL.

/ Tractor Shortages
Sometimes I read these threads and am astonished at how big and different our country is. Some of the things my TBN buddies worry about seem like they are happening on a different planet.

Here in the intermountain West, the dealers have tractors to sell. And credit still takes a while. Fuel is more expensive than in other years, but not really by all that much. Fuel is always more during ski & vacation season anyway; it has been for years. I filled up a couple of days ago at $3.29/gallon for gas. No shortage on fuel of any kind. Diesel prices are actually down from what I recall paying before Covid.

The grocery stores are stocked, building materials are reasonable again, and most everyone you see wears - or at least carries - a mask. You can't miss that mask use is close to 100% indoors in stores among customers, and it is 100% among store employees.

Some things are different. "Which vaccination are you on?" has replaced "How are you doing?" as a greeting.

The only real downturn I see is in car and tractor repair parts. That is real here, but is more a lack of experienced employees and tradesmen than parts. The parts are probably there; they just can't find them.

So far we get around the problems by ordering online.
Online vendors seem unaffected. Delivery via UPS/FedX package service is way faster than it ever was before.
I think online sales are what is going to change the world if anything does.
rScotty

/ Tractor Shortages #93  
Sometimes I read these threads and am astonished at how big and different our country is. Some of the things my TBN buddies worry about seem like they are happening on a different planet.

Here in the intermountain West, the dealers have tractors to sell. And credit still takes a while. Fuel is more expensive than in other years, but not really by all that much. Fuel is always more during ski & vacation season anyway; it has been for years. I filled up a couple of days ago at $3.29/gallon for gas. No shortage on fuel of any kind. Diesel prices are actually down from what I recall paying before Covid.

The grocery stores are stocked, building materials are reasonable again, and most everyone you see wears - or at least carries - a mask. You can't miss that mask use is close to 100% indoors in stores among customers, and it is 100% among store employees.

Some things are different. "Which vaccination are you on?" has replaced "How are you doing?" as a greeting.

The only real downturn I see is in car and tractor repair parts. That is real here, but is more a lack of experienced employees and tradesmen than parts. The parts are probably there; they just can't find them.

Online vendors seem unaffected. Delivery via UPS/FedX package service is way faster than it ever was before.
rScotty
I've been doing the online thing way more than I used to. We are well stocked with most regular items here in Northern Mi, but there are very few tractors or cars/trucks at the dealerships.

/ Tractor Shortages #94  
The chip industry really hurt the big 3 car manufacturers, I know one of the major chip manufacturers is playing catchup.

/ Tractor Shortages #95  

rScotty
rScotty,
Below is the price of diesel fuel for last 5 years.
Never been higher than now.

1637715377481.png

Below is the price of gasoline over the last 5 years
Never been higher than now

1637715566980.png

/ Tractor Shortages #96  
As far as equipment availability goes, a plumber I know called me today about buying my mini ex. He was desperate for one, I rarely use mine, and boda bing I sold it. Had it for 6 years and got exactly 1500 less than I paid for it. Oh... and the best part; I can borrow it if I ever need it again! 🥳

/ Tractor Shortages #97  
My wife had her new Chevy Trax for three years. I just sold it back to the dealer for what I paid. The prices are even more crazy for pick ups around my area.

/ Tractor Shortages #98  
My wife had her new Chevy Trax for three years. I just sold it back to the dealer for what I paid. The prices are even more crazy for pick ups around my area.
We are in unchartered territory for sure...

/ Tractor Shortages
rScotty,
Below is the price of diesel fuel for last 5 years.
Never been higher than now.

Interesting charts, but they don't say where those prices were taken. Our diesel costs less than that.

My point is that it is normal for people to think that the entire rest of the country is experiencing the same things that are affecting them locally.
And it's just not so.

rScotty

Last edited: