Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!! #141,821  
Good Morning.
It’s 30 here with a high of 38. Slight chance of snow this morning, or rain this afternoon.

Yesterday followed the script pretty closely. First order of business was my Swiss Army knife. I put it back in the 180 degree water, and then once it was softened, clamped in in the smooth jaws of a milling vise. It worked out very well. Definitely has more patina, and the emblem is gone, but perfectly serviceable.
IMG_7786.jpg

IMG_7785.jpg

IMG_7784.jpg

Trip to Harbor freight was successful, I got a 303 piece tool set for about $0.66 per tool. That should be a good start for the son with no tools now that he has moved out. I think it was a rude awakening for him, he works in a lab for the Navy, where there is almost as many resources as he grew up with at home.

I ran the plotter for a few projects, cutting out rubber sandblast mask for one friend and vinyl DOT numbers for another.
Put a box of 100 driveway markers and my installation tool in the carryall and headed down the driveway. I am pleased to report that the Alpha version of the tool will be the final one. It worked flawlessly. I got a little less than a third of the way done before the sun set. Hope to finish today.
My wife asked me to try the ultrasonic cleaner on a calcium encrusted hand shower wand and hose. It was nasty enough that she said if it didn’t work, to get a new one, don’t put it back.
I’ve got to say that I was astounded at the result, all the parts came out looking like new. Of course now I’m tasked with removing the aerators from all the faucets and cleaning them. But it’s a small price to pay for her putting up with my tool addiction. Which gets me to the next chore.
The trusty old Stihl 026 scored a cylinder while in my oldest sons custody, and a new cylinder and piston were no longer available. When I complained, the dealer pointed out the the saw was 25 years old. So now there is a swell new MS261c sleeping in the old case.

It’s a sad fact that in almost every case we outlive our dogs and cats. That’s something that we never think about when they come in the door for the first time. It doesn’t make it any easier when they go out for the last time. But there is a lot of comfort and joy in between those two trips that make the experience a good on overall. It’s also interesting that we are very comfortable euthanizing a beloved pet when it’s appropriate, but pretty divided on what happens to us at the end.

On a happier note, nice drum set Ken, and a very happy kid. Music is a lot like a pet when it comes to brining joy into a house. It doesn’t even matter if it’s making it or listening, it almost always brightens the day.

/ Good morning!!!! #141,822  
Good Morning!!!! 53F @ 4:15AM. Abundant sunshine. High 67F. Winds light and variable.
Another weather groundhog day, likely for the rest of the week. WU and TV weather guesser are now indicating rain showers starting a week from Thursday; I'll believe it when I see it.

I like your bridge idea, Billy. Especially the down hill part. Can you get a chain on that stump and just drag it across with the tractor?

I hope you have better luck with the stove, Drew.

Welcome to the GM thread, Boss302!

Sassy looks like she's having fun in the snow, Ron.

Be sure to take a video when you try that ski boat trick, Kyle. The guy on the tractor might wanna wear a raincoat, too. :oops: :ROFLMAO:

I'll look into a check valve, Lou. Thanks!

If there's a USB thumb drive in that Swiss Army Knife, Paul, did it survive the resurrection? I like the new patina...

They say tomato juice, and Fabreeze, will kill the skunk smell, Paul. Could you put some in a garden sprayer and douse the underside of the Kia with it?

Talk about snowballing! Needed to refill the rolling firewood cart, but that emptied the last of the pallet in the garage. Moved a bunch of stuff to get to it, got it out just fine. Have one pallet left from 2014, but had to restack it before moving it. Forks wouldn't go under it because parts were broken, then broke one of the furniture dollies used to move it to the back of the garage. Pallet jack wouldn't fit under it, either, so had to block it up. Finally got the full pallet into the garage and parked, then had to fold up the 30'x50' tarp that was on the new pallet. Fortunately there was no wind, and now I've got a tarp to protect the new wood coming off the downed trees. All that fooling around pretty much used up the day, though. Had just enough time to try to cut one of the trees loose with the chainsaw, but the chain jumped off and it took a while to clean up the burred up driver links and get it going again. By then it was dark and dinner time, so I quit while I was ahead.

More tree pulling today, maybe try out the new hose nozzle on the firetruck if there's time.

Last edited:
   / Good morning!!!! #141,823  
My uncle's knife warranted a rehab. It traveled the world with me.

Amazon has some decent links for covers too.

/ Good morning!!!! #141,825  
25 yo saw is not that old. Lol. Mine is probably that old, seems I got it yesterday.

/ Good morning!!!! #141,826  
Good morning all. After months of putting off a simple job, I finally got around this morning to replacing the wiring for my Fergie's solar trickle charger. If the sun would care to shine in the next week or two it should have caught the battery before it self discharges too far.

Wng, that sounds a fun way of getting firewood over a creek !

Bups, sorry to hear you are down for more surgery. Keep on smiling, you have had lots of practice at getting through the tougher days.

My plan is to launch my buddy's 200hp center console outboard boat, tie it to our bigger tractor, using the tractor to hold him back. He can gun it, steering back and forth side to side, while I man the tractor and control his forward/backward motion
Kyle, even if it doesn't move much silt, gunning that tethered outboard sounds great fun!

The guy on the tractor might wanna wear a raincoat, too. :oops: :ROFLMAO:
🤣 🤣 🤣

Louney, your cow muck sucker approach to silt removal is a good one if you have a friend with the equipment. Next year I will be playing with something similar, albeit on a smaller scale.

My retirement present to myself is a 3" diaghram pump. I had a quick try using it in an open drain a while ago. It started promising, belching silt out in great gulps, then after 5 minutes pumping the small filter on the pipe intake clogged with weed. I am now making my own dedicated silt sucker head with a simple integral weed cutter. At first I tried to fabricate a crude flat intake screen out of mild steel (about 18" square), then realised it was going to be too heavy when enclosed in more metal, so now I am in the process of making another screen from a sheet of aluminium that I was given. Appreciate if anyone familiar with cutting aluminium could suggest what lubricant I could use indoors with a holesaw (36mm diameter) in a pillar drill.

/ Good morning!!!! #141,827  
Morning all, 30 and partly cloudy , up to a whopping 43 today.

Drum set assembled, one happy son. This garage is the one under the house, so yes, we can hear him.....
Dog is sick, going to vet, not sure what is wrong.

Buppies - hope they can get this taken care of quick and with little pain for you...

Welcome Boss302 to the GM thread

I have a Swiss army knife I bought in Bern in 1983 and it is still in perfect shape. Never really use that one since it has so many blades and options (think 50? thanks for the link Rip-think it is selling for about 5 times what I paid for it back then).
I used to collect knives and have some nice Damascus blades and some odd ones. Even one from a field at my uncles house in MA that had to be from early 1900's. Cleaned it up, and it works, but not pretty.

Stay safe and be well,

/ Good morning!!!! #141,828  
Thanks for all the comments regarding the kitty. That one came to us as a kitten, probably a drop off at the horse barns across the road. There were 2 wandering around at the creek, thus one was friendly and came to us, the other was wild and would run. Don’t know what happened to the wild one, but this one got to live a long time, although it ended up not being a lap cat like our remaining one. When it was younger it made a chirping sound, not a meow. My other name for it was chirpy, and we also called it critter.

Prayers for all, especially Buppies.

1 cor 10:13 says all temptation is common to all men, God will not tempt us with more than we can bear, and he will give us a way to endure it.

When we start feeling sorry for ourselves, we have to remember everyone else goes thru the sorrow we go thru, everyone looses people and pets they love. Doesn’t keep it from hurting, but it should remove the “why me” aspect.

Guess I should aim the vehicle towards the office. I decided to wait for backups to go away instead of sitting in them.

/ Good morning!!!! #141,829  
   / Good morning!!!! #141,830  
I need a small, simple single blade knife to cut twine, open boxes, etc. Used to carry a pocket knife all the time until I lost too many at the airport.
My Swiss Army knife is too fat and heavy.
I need a good ten dollar knife. I wonder what country that will be from.
And one easy to open for hands with arthritis. No wedging short fingernails in little slots.

I hope you have better luck with the stove, Drew.
you bet, they are due in a few minutes.
what's that old saying, if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all?
well....I was plenty lucky last year to recover so well so I'm happy with the amount of good luck I have too...