Log Splitter....had to pre-order for May 2022

/ Log Splitter....had to pre-order for May 2022 #1  

Rob41

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040
I got a wood stove for my barn/workshop and will likely put one in my house to cut down on winter heating too. I have plenty of free wood on my land so that's not an issue.

I really don't want yet another engine to maintain so I decided to go with am electric log splitter. Most of what I've seen doesn't seem particularly robust but I did find the Boss 16-ton, 2-way electric splitter. It seems very well regarded and is always on back order. I went ahead and got mine ordered so I'll have it for next summer. I also got the 4-way cross wedge to help speed things up.

Does anyone here have any experience with this or it's smaller 2-way 10 ton model?

Here is a picture and a video:

Attachments

• ED16T21 Log Splitter.jpg
    ED16T21 Log Splitter.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 87
   / Log Splitter....had to pre-order for May 2022 #2  
No experience with that model, but given how much my 25 ton strains against some of the knotty wood I split, I wonder if a 16 wouldn't be a tad underpowered.

While an electric one would be nice and quiet, the area I cut/split my wood is quite a ways from a source of AC, I'd imagine there'd be a noticeable voltage drop in an extension cord that long so it's not for me.

/ Log Splitter....had to pre-order for May 2022 #3  
The 4 way will really be a joke, in anything but really easy to split wood...

SR

/ Log Splitter....had to pre-order for May 2022
I'll find out. The largest I'll be splitting from my property will be about 15-16" and not usually too tough. If it's too much for the 4-way I'll go back to the standard wedge.

No experience with that model, but given how much my 25 ton strains against some of the knotty wood I split, I wonder if a 16 wouldn't be a tad underpowered.

While an electric one would be nice and quiet, the area I cut/split my wood is quite a ways from a source of AC, I'd imagine there'd be a noticeable voltage drop in an extension cord that long so it's not for me.
What I have on my property shouldn't be too bad to split. I am closing in a few bays of the lean to of my barn for wood storage and will only be splitting adjacent to that area so a very short cord for me.

I can see this wouldn't be the splitter for you.

/ Log Splitter....had to pre-order for May 2022 #6  
You may want to put that splitter on a platform to get it at a comfortable working height.

I have no idea how well it works but Swisher has a 22 ton electric model. Supposedly it will work on 120v but need a 20a outlet.

I've needed the full 28 tons of my Oregon splitter at times. Some of our wood is pretty difficult to split. I've only had a couple pieces that it could not split.

/ Log Splitter....had to pre-order for May 2022 #7  
Not electronic but I had a 14 ton DR 2 way, and split oak, maple, birch, ash, etc. I never had the need for anything with more force.

Used it for 8 years. If I could lift the round, it would split it. Rounds from one large maple were so large I had to use a tractor to lift them.

It seems the cycle time on the unit in the video is slow...you may regret that down the road.

/ Log Splitter....had to pre-order for May 2022 #8  
I'll find out. The largest I'll be splitting from my property will be about 15-16" and not usually too tough. If it's too much for the 4-way I'll go back to the standard wedge.
I'm fine with my 18 ton two way splitter with the round size (15"-16") you will be splitting, so I don't believe you will have any problems splitting those rounds with the Boss 16 ton splitter either.

/ Log Splitter....had to pre-order for May 2022 #9  
I have a 22 ton that I use to split 22" oak rounds that have large knots in them. Mostly does fine and has cut thru some of the knots so you should be ok on most stuff. If not, there's always the chain saw to cut them up smaller.

Not electronic but I had a 14 ton DR 2 way, and split oak, maple, birch, ash, etc. I never had the need for anything with more force.

Used it for 8 years. If I could lift the round, it would split it. Rounds from one large maple were so large I had to use a tractor to lift them.

It seems the cycle time on the unit in the video is slow...you may regret that down the road.
I just ordered enough split wood to last me a good three years in my shop so I'll have time to do splitting a bit at a time throughout the year to start adding to the stacks.

I may regret the cycle time down the road but I'll work with it.