Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic?

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #41  
We see a lot of old tractors. Many of which are highly regarded machines. Many of which are still running because they were all metal before plastics were as developed as today. I think I like metal. Oh, for the day we buy a tractor with a plastic bucket.

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic?
Perhaps part of the problem is that sometimes plastic enters a brand's new designs primarily as a cost reduction measure? I don't think I've heard of cases where the idea was to improve durability or function by introducing plastic.

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic?
Back in the 1960's NO ONE even thought about plastic breaking [...]
This isn't how I remember the 60's. I remember people thought plastic was cheap and junky. I wound up thinking perhaps the problem was that applications for plastic were so new, manufacturers hadn't figured out many of the things you have to do to make plastic articles durable.

I do remember that it wasn't necessarily replacing metal. Often it was a replacement for wood. Especially in packaging, but also in other applications, such as handles on tools.

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #44  
Yep... agree with ^^^^.
I have had 1/4" clear lexan become so brittle you couldn't pick up a piece bigger than a foot without it just snapping.

My LS only has a plastic dash. Even the mesh in the grill and side vents are metal.

My 2017 LS XR 4140 open station has metal fenders with a curved plastic cowling holding the taillights/brake lights that attaches to the metal. Finishes off the fenders nicely when new, but…. Guess where I put one of my hands for balance when getting off the backhoe (the other hand I use the metal grab bar to pull/lower myself) And guess at which plastic attach points the plastic cowling broke. I cosmetically repaired and reinstalled the plastic cowling which held very nicely until about the third time I got off the backhoe. So now my tractor doesn’t have taillights/brackets …. Unsightly but I live with it.

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #45  
I see a ton of the box store JD lawnmower's being used with no hoods because the plastic hoods fell apart.
My X740 JD is 11 years old no issues with hood cracking.

Attachments

• Ford Truck 181.jpg
    Ford Truck 181.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 213

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #46  
I doubt there are any class 7-8 trucks still being made with metal fenders and hoods, nor have there been for twenty years.

The engine compartment side panels on my old Deere skid loader were composite, and were still like new, albeit with faded paint when I sold it.

The steel hood on my lawn tractor is all dented up.

I was surprised that my Kioti I’d predominantly steel. The hood and fenders are pretty thin, though. Something composite like heavy trucks use would be more suitable.

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #47  
I see a ton of the box store JD lawnmower's being used with no hoods because the plastic hoods fell apart.
There is a "fix" for the broken plastic hood dilemma,,
This tractor came with a plastic hood, and grill, the PO let his grandson drive it,, and the hood was no match for low branches,,

I took the hood and grill off an earlier Cub Cadet, and bolted them on the hoodless newer Cub Cadet.
The tractor is still in use, about 15 years later, and the new hood is like the day I installed it,,

nSPOCx9.jpg

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #48  
When I bought my second M used. the hood had a couple dents in it. Took it off, went to the body shop and 200 bucks later, no dents and new paint.

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #49  
My X740 JD is 11 years old no issues with hood cracking.

Attachments

• Ford Truck 181.jpg
    Ford Truck 181.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 213

Likewise my X500 has a composite hood with 0 issues. But our machines are Not the box store versions.......

/ Which brands have more metal, and which brands have more plastic? #50  
I doubt there are any class 7-8 trucks still being made with metal fenders and hoods, nor have there been for twenty years.

The engine compartment side panels on my old Deere skid loader were composite, and were still like new, albeit with faded paint when I sold it.

The steel hood on my lawn tractor is all dented up.

I was surprised that my Kioti I’d predominantly steel. The hood and fenders are pretty thin, though. Something composite like heavy trucks use would be more suitable.
On most heavy trucks the hoods are multi piece and the sections glued together (thermowelded) so you can replace a section. Exception is the front and grill area, you bust that, it's new hood time.

I still prefer steel over plastic for a hood, least on a tractor.