TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #21  
The TYM will be missing lots of creature comforts and additional features of a premium brand tractor. For most these extras are not needed anyway. I also looked at TYM and think they are a good choice if you have a stable dealer and parts network. Much better than Bobcat, New Holland, Bad Boy, RK, or any other rebranded outfit.
I'm just curious, I'm not trying to start a brand war, but I can't think of "lots of creature comforts" that the TYM could be missing? I have never sat in a cabbed TYM, or a new cabbed CUT Deere either. How can their be "lots" of "comforts" missing?

The Deere in question is a 4 M series? Aren't those pretty basic models? Kind of like a Deere "E" model, only larger chassis on the "M"? Can you get an "M" series Deere with a cab? I'm honestly not sure, but I thought the "M"s were all open station?

When I looked at Deere 5 years ago, I was looking at an R series cabbed (I think it was a 3 series?-it's been so long) Every. Single. Thing. was an option that had to be added to the order for more $. So what I would consider "comforts", like A/C in the cab, stereo radio, side mirrors, cruise control, work lights, windshield wipers, windshield washers... these were all separate ordering options that had to be tacked on to the order sheet. I'm sure there were more, but it's been so long ago, I can't recall them all.

And this was on an R series, which is their "higher grade" tractor vs. an "E", or an "M"?

I'm only questioning the presumed lack of "comforts" on the TYM. I think (from my experience with a partnered brand -Branson), that all of those things you have to add for additional cost on the Deere order sheet, actually come as standard features on the TYM. Again, I'm not saying one is "better quality" then the other one, I'm just questioning your assumption of "comforts".

Maybe I should go back and climb around in a new Deere? They actually have a few cabbed ones sitting on the lot, don't know what # or letter series though.

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #22  
I don't know what "creature" comforts I'd be missing in my T474 either? I have a heated/AC cab, came with a preinstalled bluetooth Kenwood headunit and speakers, has auto throttle and cruise control. Vipers front and aft? Two pedal with a very reliable HST. I'm just thinking that for $17k I can buy A LOT of extra implements.

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #23  
I beg to differ, jch. The TYM seems to have more standard features than the name- paint ones. To get the same features on the JD, you have to get their deluxe models and pay so much more. For example: the T494H comes with 2 rear remotes, a rear pto adjust lever, telescoping links And stabilizers, auto throttle and more...the JD M line only has none of that. You need to upgrade to the MHD or the R and even then there you only get one rear remote. I am sure the top of the line JD is a nice tractor, but for those prices I can almost buy 2 from someone else.

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #24  
I'd go with the Tym.
it'll do everything you want.
If it breaks, you'll have $17,000 extra to fix it or....
buy another used tractor with the 17K and you'll always have a spare.
Personally, graph usage aside, the most strenuous thing my tractor does is logging.
If you're not planning to log your property, you can safely drop down a size and still do everything you outlined.

My machine is a size smaller than yours but it still does all of what you want to do...plus.
I work about 12 acres with it.

Attachments

• P2153875.jpg
    P2153875.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 153
  • IMG_2218.jpg
    IMG_2218.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 148
  • IMG_2203.jpg
    IMG_2203.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 141
Last edited:
   / TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #25  
I'm just curious, I'm not trying to start a brand war, but I can't think of "lots of creature comforts" that the TYM could be missing? I have never sat in a cabbed TYM, or a new cabbed CUT Deere either. How can their be "lots" of "comforts" missing?

The Deere in question is a 4 M series? Aren't those pretty basic models? Kind of like a Deere "E" model, only larger chassis on the "M"? Can you get an "M" series Deere with a cab? I'm honestly not sure, but I thought the "M"s were all open station?

When I looked at Deere 5 years ago, I was looking at an R series cabbed (I think it was a 3 series?-it's been so long) Every. Single. Thing. was an option that had to be added to the order for more $. So what I would consider "comforts", like A/C in the cab, stereo radio, side mirrors, cruise control, work lights, windshield wipers, windshield washers... these were all separate ordering options that had to be tacked on to the order sheet. I'm sure there were more, but it's been so long ago, I can't recall them all.

And this was on an R series, which is their "higher grade" tractor vs. an "E", or an "M"?

I'm only questioning the presumed lack of "comforts" on the TYM. I think (from my experience with a partnered brand -Branson), that all of those things you have to add for additional cost on the Deere order sheet, actually come as standard features on the TYM. Again, I'm not saying one is "better quality" then the other one, I'm just questioning your assumption of "comforts".

Maybe I should go back and climb around in a new Deere? They actually have a few cabbed ones sitting on the lot, don't know what # or letter series though.

I looked the cabbed TYM, the cabbed Deere R, the Kubota L60…so yes there could be less premium features in the M (at the time the only other cab Kubota in this size was L60…they didn’t make a cab MX.

Examples in the Kubota MX vs L60….MidPTO, seat, external hydraulic 3PT cylinders and more capacity, telescoping lower links, HST+ transmission…there are others. The TYM was about like the MX is now.

I just looked at them both again..and Ill have to recant my original message about the T474 vs a 4044M. I agree the 4044M doesnt have much more as far as features. Now I havent demoed a 4044M, but I did demo a T494 a few years ago…and I liked the Kubota, LS, Kioti, and Deere better overall.

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #26  
I was shopping for a similar sized tractor recently.

I cross shopped:

-Branson 20 series hydro cab
-JD4052R hydro/cab
- Massey 2850M hydro/cab

I ended up with the Massey for a multitude of reasons.

If you have a good Massey dealer nearby it’s worth a look.

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #27  
I was shopping for a similar sized tractor recently.

I cross shopped:

-Branson 20 series hydro cab
-JD4052R hydro/cab
- Massey 2850M hydro/cab

I ended up with the Massey for a multitude of reasons.

If you have a good Massey dealer nearby it’s worth a look.
Those are exactly the models from my research that I have narrowed to for those makes...add to them...LS MT 347H, Kioti DK4710 SE, TYM T494H, Kubota 4760HST, Case IH Farmall 45C, and New Holland Boomer 45T4B, the Branson is specifically the 4820H.

I am interested in what pushed you to MF? They seem to be losing dealers around me. The nearest one on their locator was 40 miles away and they now sell NH only. The next closest is 52 miles away. In total 2 of the 5 dealers within 70 miles of me (according to MF website) do not even carry MF any longer. I don't mind the drive, but I don't want to go 50+ miles away and then they drop MF, too. (the one 52 miles away also carries NH)

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #28  
I'm buying a new tractor and it's between the TYM T474 ($35k new) and John Deere 4044 ($52k new). They are similar in specs, but about $17k price difference. Obviously JD has better brand, more dealers, and sounds like when I talk to folks, a better tractor.

I'm trying to warrant spending significantly more considering this is my 1st tractor for my 10 acre piece of property. I'll be using it to do some gardening, landscaping, snow removal, and give rides to kids. When things break, I'd like to figure out easily how to fix (ideally more reliable the better..)

Opinions welcome, thank you
JD is not worth extra money !!! Unless your infatuated with green and yellow I have no experience with TYM but a lot in the past with JD 35hp to 100 hp models.I would look obliviously at build quality and dealership support.I don’t go by acres or bare weight theories that get beat to death on here !!! Your application from what you listed you could go with a little smaller model tractor just my opinions here.

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #29  
I looked the cabbed TYM, the cabbed Deere R, the Kubota L60…so yes there could be less premium features in the M (at the time the only other cab Kubota in this size was L60…they didn’t make a cab MX.

Examples in the Kubota MX vs L60….MidPTO, seat, external hydraulic 3PT cylinders and more capacity, telescoping lower links, HST+ transmission…there are others. The TYM was about like the MX is now.

I just looked at them both again..and Ill have to recant my original message about the T474 vs a 4044M. I agree the 4044M doesnt have much more as far as features. Now I havent demoed a 4044M, but I did demo a T494 a few years ago…and I liked the Kubota, LS, Kioti, and Deere better overall.
That Kubota L6060 Grand sure is a nice looking tractor. I did look at one of those from the side of the road once. Couldn't get the dealer to give me the time of day when I walked in though. But peering through the cab glass it did seem pretty nice.

When I was shopping 5 years ago, the local Deere dealer didn't have a single cabbed anything on the lot. So I didn't get a chance to look at one to see what I was missing. The one I was shopping for was one I had "built" on the Deere website. I think it was a cabbed R 3 series at the time. If they'd have had one on the lot, I would have bought it on the spot. Deere was the first one I "tried" to go look at. I'm not trying to bash the green paint, hope it doesn't come across that way.

I don't even know if there's a TYM dealer near me to look at one.

I was just wondering, since I never had the chance to sit in one, what it was that I was missing out on, with the lots of comfort features thing.

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #30  
That Kubota L6060 Grand sure is a nice looking tractor. I did look at one of those from the side of the road once. Couldn't get the dealer to give me the time of day when I walked in though. But peering through the cab glass it did seem pretty nice.

When I was shopping 5 years ago, the local Deere dealer didn't have a single cabbed anything on the lot. So I didn't get a chance to look at one to see what I was missing. The one I was shopping for was one I had "built" on the Deere website. I think it was a cabbed R 3 series at the time. If they'd have had one on the lot, I would have bought it on the spot. Deere was the first one I "tried" to go look at. I'm not trying to bash the green paint, hope it doesn't come across that way.

I don't even know if there's a TYM dealer near me to look at one.

I was just wondering, since I never had the chance to sit in one, what it was that I was missing out on, with the lots of comfort features thing.
We have 1 dealer that sells TYM, LS, and Kioti. THey have only been in business 5 years and I was a bit hesitant to buy from a dealer that has to stock and service 3 brands as well as keep a fledgling business going. The Massey dealer just up the road wanted to sell me a JCB…go figure. Also a yellow flag for me.