Broken seat spring - what would you do?

/ Broken seat spring - what would you do? #1  

RancherGuy

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3710; JD 5425, 6105R, 7130-P; IH 1086
I have a 15 YO Deere with spring seat. Suddenly one of the four springs inside broke. Now it will not hold up anyone of any weight. See image of two springs. The seat action is like a scissor lift. Because of the design, I would guess that the tension on each spring may be in the neighborhood of 200 pounds.

If I can get a spring, a new seat (part #RE213244, $1,000) is unnecessary. I'm looking for opinions and suggestions.

1641872806581.png

/ Broken seat spring - what would you do? #2  
I/ve had one on m M4700 for about 6 years. I just slid some blocks of wood under the seat to get me to the correct height.
I don't travel that fast.

/ Broken seat spring - what would you do? #3  
First question is can you buy the spring as a spare part alone. I would hope so.

Barring that option - Measure the wire diameter, the OD of the spring coil and the overall length from hook to hook. Then go to Century Spring (they got bought by someone recently called MW Components so the website changed names and format). They have an extensive inventory of springs and you can search by a billion different dimensions and characteristics. A lot like the McMaster website, but very much specialized. You should be able to find something very close if not exact. Century Spring | Stock & Custom Springs | MW Components

And in either case, replace both at the same time. It might have been a defect, or a warning that the other one is going to go soon too.

/ Broken seat spring - what would you do? #4  
I like what ^he^ said.

/ Broken seat spring - what would you do? #5  
First question is can you buy the spring as a spare part alone. I would hope so.

Barring that option - Measure the wire diameter, the OD of the spring coil and the overall length from hook to hook. Then go to Century Spring (they got bought by someone recently called MW Components so the website changed names and format). They have an extensive inventory of springs and you can search by a billion different dimensions and characteristics. A lot like the McMaster website, but very much specialized. You should be able to find something very close if not exact. Century Spring | Stock & Custom Springs | MW Components

And in either case, replace both at the same time. It might have been a defect, or a warning that the other one is going to go soon too.
I wonder if you could send the broken spring to Century and see if they would be interested in duplicating and making two of them. Also tell them it's use. Might be worth a call.

/ Broken seat spring - what would you do? #6  
Oh absolutely. I have had them make custom springs for my job in the past, which is how I know of them. They are probably the biggest spring manufacturer in the country. But if you think $1000 to replace the entire seat was high, wait until you see the cost to custom make a run of springs for you! And it won't be just 2 springs as the MOQ will be way too high. These are stock springs somewhere as they are a very common configuration and size range.

In fact, taking a SWAG from the photo, this may be very close or identical:
That took like 2 mintues to pin down...

/ Broken seat spring - what would you do? #7  
   / Broken seat spring - what would you do? #8  
these look a lot like springs from a ATV plow and ATV dealers sale these springs … id look into it

/ Broken seat spring - what would you do? #9  
I wonder if you could send the broken spring to Century and see if they would be interested in duplicating and making two of them. Also tell them it's use. Might be worth a call.
Actually, I would send an unbroken spring for them to duplicate 😂.
Joking aside, it will be easier for them to test tension with a good one.