TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #132  
@rScotty VAG is a German acronym that represents the VW Group vehicles. I should know the German words in the acronym. Many think it is VW Audi Group... but that is not quite correct.
Wow, and I thought is was an abbreviation of the female external genitalia

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #133  
When I went tractor shopping with my nephew one thing we both noticed was how loud the hydrostat was on the TYMs versus a similar sized Deere.
Nephew bought the TYM and took it home and within 1-2 hours the Hydro got much louder, to the point he couldn't stand it and returned the tractor. He bought the JD and although the Hydro has remained quieter it has had a problem that bugs him with a shudder in the FEL hydraulics so nothing ended up being "Perfect"

ps. Another thing was some of the IDI diesels bugged me with the rattle they produce, even warm. I much prefer some of the direct injected diesels smooth sound especially after they are warmed up.

Last edited:
   / TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #135  
When I went tractor shopping with my nephew one thing we both noticed was how loud the hydrostat was on the TYMs versus a similar sized Deere.
Nephew bought the TYM and took it home and within 1-2 hours the Hydro got much louder, to the point he couldn't stand it and returned the tractor. He bought the JD and although the Hydro has remained quieter it has had a problem that bugs him with a shudder in the FEL hydraulics so nothing ended up being "Perfect"

ps. Another thing was some of the IDI diesels bugged me with the rattle they produce, even warm. I much prefer some of the direct injected diesels smooth sound especially after they are warmed up.

Hydro noise IS something I strongly considered while tractor shopping. It is why I cross shopped Deere, they actually publish cab dB readings.

It’s pretty quiet on my MF except during dramatic power changes but that’s to be expected.

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #136  
Hozzie, yes there can be a multitude of reasons for price increases but that is not my argument. The jist of "0'% as a marketing scheme, has substantially added to the pricing of commodity.
It is the "big lie" about the whole thing that bothers me the most.
The gullible fall for this and run to buy stuff thinking they are not using their money and its not costing them anything to do so. That is total bullshite.

Don't start off with a disparagement with your "so much incorrect misinformation in one spot" crap. Of course a financial "lender" such as yourself would love anything that instigates paper.

Glad to know all the folks who buy Kubota or Deere for cash or 0% are a bunch of Gullible Lemmings that needs their daddy’s there to help buy a tractor.

My Gosh. . . Just enjoy your Mahindra, and be glad you aren’t one of the lemmings.

And when pointing the finger at “disparaging” remarks, look at your own posts.

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #137  
I'm buying a new tractor and it's between the TYM T474 ($35k new) and John Deere 4044 ($52k new). They are similar in specs, but about $17k price difference. Obviously JD has better brand, more dealers, and sounds like when I talk to folks, a better tractor.

I'm trying to warrant spending significantly more considering this is my 1st tractor for my 10 acre piece of property. I'll be using it to do some gardening, landscaping, snow removal, and give rides to kids. When things break, I'd like to figure out easily how to fix (ideally more reliable the better..)

Opinions welcome, thank you
Neighbor arrived in 2016 and wanted a new JD tractor. I put them onto a 4052 to fit their requirements as a favor since they were urbanites and didn't know what they needed. I did so because JD has the field maintenance program...about $375 plus parts per year she said and they are doctors with clean finger nails. That's the only reason.

Their fuel tank filler is on top of the left rear fender. They refill their low usage with 5 gallon cans of diesel. To do that they have to get up on a step ladder.......my Branson, Ford, and LS tractors can be filled easily standing on the ground...to name another reason. Another is that the QD FEL device fits JD Implements. My Branson and LS with loaders are equipped with Skid Steer dimensions and I can buy implements everywhere at reasonable prices.

Just my perspective as I see it. Others have theirs per their perspectives.

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #138  
Hydro noise IS something I strongly considered while tractor shopping. It is why I cross shopped Deere, they actually publish cab dB readings.

It’s pretty quiet on my MF except during dramatic power changes but that’s to be expected
I just bought an LS MT2-25S (hydro) last January. Only time I hear the hydro whine is when it's grunting and its detectable, not overbearing. Otherwise all you hear are engine RPMs and with the Yanmar 3 cyl., thats nothing but sweet music.

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #139  
Neighbor arrived in 2016 and wanted a new JD tractor. I put them onto a 4052 to fit their requirements as a favor since they were urbanites and didn't know what they needed. I did so because JD has the field maintenance program...about $375 plus parts per year she said and they are doctors with clean finger nails. That's the only reason.

Their fuel tank filler is on top of the left rear fender. They refill their low usage with 5 gallon cans of diesel. To do that they have to get up on a step ladder...
I have a 4052 and a bad arm, so I know what a hassle refueling can be...
Bought this a couple years ago...works great
Works great, but don't think it'll work from the ground. I set the cans on the tailgate of my truck or Gator
Takes maybe a minute to pump 5 gallons.
They do want to watch it so it doesn't cavitate the pump...that would be their fault, not the pump's fault

Most implements are available with JD QA and SSQA. I thought about an adapter, but I haven't found any FEL mounted implements that aren't available with JD QA

Last edited:
   / TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #140  
Unfortunately, this video just seems to confirm what others have said. John Deere's are assembled in the US, but not manufactured in the US. At least the video certainly didn't show any manufacturing going on. It showed assembly. Even one of the "manufacturing" engineers explained that her job is to "design the process for how to out together the tractors."

It's an assembly line, not a manufacturing facility. A subtle but very important difference.
Just like Ford, GM, General Electric Aviation, Boeing...hundreds of others...including other US Tractor manufacturers...
This has been American manufacturing since, at least, WW II.
As I'd written in a previous post, I work for an aerospace supplier to the OEMs
Edit: This doesn't just apply to American OEM's, BTW. I'd wager most large OEMs (US and world-wide) are multi-national and their supply chains are world wide as well.
Gotta get used to modern manufacturing, folks...

So, what's your point other than not liking John Deere?

Last edited: