Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments?

/ Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments? #91  
   / Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments?
If you're really interested in learning to weld, see if there's a local community college that offers welding classes. Or, find 'a guy' (or gal) that will be willing to teach you. It's a valuable skill, and I find it to be quite rewarding. I bought torches for cutting and heating when I was 18. Taught myself how to weld with books. I then took some classes back in the early 80's at our local community college. gas, arc, and MIG. It was well worth the cost to have a good teacher. Then it was practice, practice, practice. I keep thinking about TIG. May do that in a couple years. Depends if I put any more holes in my aluminum boat. :ROFLMAO:

Good luck. Look into classes. ;)
Yes, I have my guy who is doing the regular welding, but he wont do the 'thin metal', so I have to do it myself it seems.

/ Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments? #93  
Reddogs -- maybe I missed it, but you have been asked what kind of MIG welder you have ("... that shoots the wire out ...") If you respond with what kind you have, some of the better welders can tell you if it'll work for your task or not. I have small welders & am far from professional, but I would tackle what you are trying with a Lincoln 140 set up for gas or dial down my Hobart 210 and also set it up for gas (only way I would try fluxcore would be if I Had to, AND the brackets are thick enough to take the heat. In any event, I would not try any of that before cleaning the base metal to get rid of rust and oil, etc. Flap wheel & Acetone. Then a stitch/spot weld process & take your time (let things cool down between passes) to not overheat or warp the thin stuff. That may be the reason your regular welder won't do thin stuff. It takes time to do right & he can't charge you appropriately if you're a friend, so he only wants to do the quick stuff that can be zipped fast with Stick or Mig.

Last edited:
   / Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments? #94  
Yes, I have my guy who is doing the regular welding, but he wont do the 'thin metal', so I have to do it myself it seems.
Take some classes. Sounds more like bodywork than structural.

/ Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments? #95  
You have seen how many replies there have been to your original post. Please pull out your wire squirting machine and let us know the brand and model number. Then you can get some advice that will be directly relatable to you and your machine.
Eric

/ Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments? #96  
I have to constantly be fixing parts on the tractor such as the latches, seat, fenders, hood or attachments such as posthole diggers or rotary cutters, etc.. My buddy told me any welds would not hold on such thin metal for the like, but there has to be a way to do it rather than pay for a new part
what type of welder is it mig stick or tig

/ Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments? #97  
Thanks, I tried to, but it has tears in the seams I think, so I would just make it worse. Now as for MIG, I have a welder stored that shoots out a wire, but havent used it yet, is that what you mean by a MIG?
That's a wire feed welder. It might be flux core wire (has the flux inside the wire, the flux makes a gas cloud around the weld pool to shield it from air) or it might be MIG (has a solid wire and uses a gas tank. the gas surrounds the weld pool and shields it from air).

Or it could be a welder that does both flux core and MIG. A lot are.

How about pulling it out and getting the Manufacturer and Model Numbers?

A lot of folks here would like to see what you have. That would tell them if it's capable of doing your repairs.

/ Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments? #98  
Hey welding thin metal is easy. Use a 110v wire welder (mig) with gas (for best results). Turn the voltage way down, and spot weld it. Also put a piece of steel behind the break or seam so ur not burning through as easy. I fix all kinds of my junk with a 110 mig welder cuz i dont feel like paying the crazy price of a new one! Also use an autozdarkening helmet so u dont have to flip the lense up an down every couple seconds when spot welding. Takes patience but well worth it. And no i have no professional Education on welding.

/ Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments? #99  
Not many farmers have Mig or Tig welders in their shop but there is a way to fix thin metal with your stick welder. Take a welding rod and knock the flux’s off hopefully you have some 3/32 rods Now turn welding machine down as low as you can and still weld Take rod with no flux in one hand lay end in place to be welded now get arc going with other rod and melt rod with no flux You have to keep pulling welding rod out so not to melt the metal
Texas tig, I've used that for filling holes I blew out.

/ Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments? #100  
As I said, I dont know the difference between a MIG or TIG, and trying to learn a little about welding, excuse if any misstep.
You could weld, man. Anybody could weld. Maybe not great, but anybody could teach themselves to weld good enough.

Go on youtube, watch some vids, get yourself a welder, practice, watch some more youtube vids, practice some more. That's all there is too it, for at least being good enough to stick 2 pieces of metal together EFFECTIVELY. Anybody who tells you otherwise is full of ish.