Insomnia

/ Insomnia #101  
My dog don't stink at all. In fact he smells better than some people I've gotten a whiff of in the past. He don't 'squirm' anyway. he gets on the bed and stays in one spot, usually at the foot of the bed. My wife is a 'squirmer', not him. :p

/ Insomnia #102  
Driving is for the most part the only time I have music playing. When I'm at home, or in my workshop I prefer quiet. I know some here have radio headphones they use while on their tractor, to me that would be very distracting.

Can't sleep with the radio playing. Never could, and I've always been a very sound sleeper.

I don't have a dog, but if I did there's no way it would be allowed on the bed. Between the fact that they tend to be "squirmy", they stink. I don't know if I'm just overly sensitive to dog BO, but I can barely stand to be in the same room with one, the smell's so bad.
I'd rather cuddle with the wife.
Driving is also the only time that I listen to the radio, which is why Sirius was such a disappointment.
When I got my first dog as a puppy somebody told me that if she slept on the bed she would wake me up when she needed to go out. That may or may not have helped with house breaking but it wasn’t worth it. I agree with you, dogs don’t belong on the bed

/ Insomnia #103  
Dang

My Wife brought up this very thing only last week. "A second sleep".

It's been my habit for several years now. Go to bed, sleep an hour or two, then wake up, not to fall asleep again for several hours. Then sleep like death it's self.
And I thought it was something wrong.

'Guess it's normal.

OK with me!
It's OK with me too. I cannot understand those who want to change their natural body rhythm/clock/DNA/whatever. Enjoy the short time we have.
Real thing. All those paintings of people in their jammies reading or writing by candle light? Yep.

Many thanks for posting the article - pretty much a re-run of what my wife read quite a while ago - guessing pre 2003 when we moved to Portugal. Unlikely to have come across an old magazine in English after that. Again, why do people stuff their bodies with all these drugs that "Big Pharma" pays their doctors to prescribe? Live with what we are given. I do a lot of planning when awake. Never get up unless I must and have no problem with lying awake and snug for an hour or more. It is surprising how much a planned work day or project can be improved when there is nothing else to think about. Everybody also sleeps more than they claim. Sleep tests prove this. I remember a thread on here with somebody even claiming the sleep tests must be wrong because he never slept at all when he was in hospital for such a test, despite the test showing otherwise.
How much wine with your meal?
It depends entirely on what I have for dinner. We have a proper cooked meal every night. A main course, followed by cheese, fruit (fresh or dry) and nuts (still eating our own almonds brought from Portugal). Tonight we had an Italian style mince and pasta, then grapes. Did not bother with either cheese or nuts although they were on the table. I think my wife might have had some cheese. We buy our meat locally, an Orkney Aberdeen Angus breeder also runs the butcher's shop in the village only 3 miles away and I was in there this morning, picking up mince, beef sausage meat and a leg of lamb. Kept out part of the mince, froze the rest. We opened and finished a bottle of cheapish Spanish red - a Tempranillo in Spain and known as Tinta Roriz in Portugal.

I have farmed in wine growing areas for more than 30 years of my life and grown grapes on a small scale, so am accustomed to drinking wine, and most days between one and two glasses with lunch. Today I had milk with lunch. My intake is less than many other old peasants of my acquaintance. In Portugal I soon learned that anybody we used as contractors, or tradesmen, consumed about a bottle a head with lunch. An aquardente (Brandy) with morning coffee was normal for them too, but not me. Once accustomed to drinking wine with meals, probably from childhood, it seems not to do any harm, and I am sure is much better, being a natural product, than all the pills other posters say they take. I knew people in Portugal considerably older than me and still working their land.

On other nights we will have one and a half bottles or even more, and on others less than a bottle, but average a bit more than a bottle long term. At maybe 3 times the strength of beer, 375mls of wine is not a lot of alcohol - and free from chemicals. When in Portugal we did also have some Ruby Port after the main course. It was cheap there, but far too expensive in the UK.

I am likely to have a Crabbie's Green Ginger wine before bed tonight. Last night I had a Glenmorangie, my second favourite malt. Dalmore is Nº1 in case anybody wonders. I have had the bottle since early December and it is more than half full.

/ Insomnia #104  
I've had rining in my ears for as long as I can remember, going back to when I was a kid. Loud noises are really obnoxious... especially those GD Harleys with straight pipes.

There ought to be laws against them!

Oh wait there are, but no one seems to enforce them, because loud Harley's are cool. (n)

/ Insomnia #106  
You know, the part that I have pondered many times...

Who were those folks who sat up NIGHT AFTER NIGHT, to track the planets and stars and name the constellations?

Then they bring out mythology and astrology and after that astronomy.

Imagine.. Astrology, Keeping track of events that happened during the DAY, and making correlation against the positions of objects in the night sky.

Sleep must have been a different concepte to those observers!

/ Insomnia #107  
A double bourbon on the rocks in the evening works for me.
I'm generally 3 mixed drinks in. o_O

I have a lot of different drinks to make.

/ Insomnia #108  
There ought to be laws against them!

Oh wait there are, but no one seems to enforce them, because loud Harley's are cool. (n)
Every state has laws against removing mufflers and inspection places shouldn't be allowing vehicles/motorcycles to pass with disabled mufflers.

Options are to move into a draconian HOA, move to the country, or file complaints at the next city council meeting.

The reason I moved to the country surrounded by 45 acres.

/ Insomnia #109  
I have the songs in my head all day long, and anytime I wake up. Like I said, it's like a screensaver; when my brain goes idle, the music starts.

Right now it's Phil Collins' In The Air Tonight.

🎼

For anyone else with this condition, I have one thing to say to you....

Tiny Tim - Tiptoe Through the Tulips...

Now get that out of your head! :ROFLMAO:
I met Tiny in person and had thought it was all an act but after meeting him I think it was real...

Does it count if I helped carpet a Bee Gees house in Oakland?

Now I can't get tip toe out if my head...

Let me switch that to Don't Worry Be Happy... better now and another local just like Hammer Time...

The only place I really sleep well is Olympia... too far away from home to do anything about home... cell dead zone, heavy forest canopy at sea level and the gentle sound of water.... plus generally cooler temps...

In real life getting up at 2:45 am M-Th and then not Friday-Sunday plays havoc and I am not a morning person...

More often than not I wake myself up a minute or two before the 2:45 alarm... often wondered if the clock put out a pre-alarm signal...

Maybe the cure is retiring to the PNW and make sure always out of cell range and TV at the house!

Last edited:
   / Insomnia #110  
A double bourbon on the rocks in the evening works for me.
What is your preference, Kentucky or Tennessee whiskey? Some get a good night's sleep after a nightcap.