I wanted a fence stretcher

/ I wanted a fence stretcher
I don't like putting it up, maintaining it, tearing it out or looking at it.
LOL. My need for the stuff is Deer. The damn things are like the hoards of zombies on the walking dead. They destroy every single thing I try to do to my yard. I can't imagine what they'd to to a garden.
If I had my way I'd hire a team of molecular biologists to develop a disease that would wipe them all out.

And to think, I used to think they were cute.

/ I wanted a fence stretcher #23  
Woven is your typical chain link fabric, where you can bend one of the knuckles out and take a picket out rather than cutting it for length. New rolls have a loose weaver in them so you can splice it to the next roll for long runs.
We did a lot of high tensile field wire for some vineyard gates where you'd wrap the horizontals around the frame and tie it to itself. That is some nasty tough wire, we made wrapping tools from a piece of rod with a hole it in, went lots faster than using pliers.

/ I wanted a fence stretcher #26  
I remember buying an 18 wheeler load, and I mean stacked tight, field fence for 350 dollars. Some rolls were over 4 ft diameter. We fenced over two miles and had plenty to sell off and have some still. Wire was bigger than re mesh. Just built a corral and cattle chute. Welded that wire to the gates. Also built a fenced off area from angle iron and welded wire to it. Fenced divider was so I could be inside corral working chute gates. I made them with wheels on top and they go straight across and dont swing. Boys, it's slicker n snot.

I've got three of the net wire stretchers. 1878 is when the oldest was made. 1888 second one. Third one is a home made version that's well over 100 years old. These were probably the first come along ideas. They have a socket for a 3 in wood tapered handle to go in. About a 8 ft piece of 1/2 or 5/8 chain. They were sold as fence stretchers. Though I can see them used for pulling stuck wagons, model T's and moving loads. Mainly because they will do it.

/ I wanted a fence stretcher #27  
   / I wanted a fence stretcher #28  
Yes, (and not just because that's what they called it) but opposed to being welded wire, which is another common option. The wire we used for the vineyard gates was welded, about seven feet tall and had spacing that narrowed from about 8" at the top to about 1.5" at the bottom, so little critters were thwarted as well.
I would imagine that the woven wire would withstand more deformation without breaking any of the joints which would make it advantageous if cattle or horses were around it as well.

/ I wanted a fence stretcher #29  
I installed a barbed wire fence around my 80 acres - 1320 x 2640. Mile and a half of fence. A pipe with spacers on the 3-point held each roll dead center behind the tractor. 1320 feet each time.

Rolling out the barbed wire with the tractor worked fairly well. Stretching it with the tractor proved to be a nightmare. Quit after trying with the first wire rolled out. With the tractor there is no "feel" about how tight the wire is.

Solution - my handy man/high lift jack. Chained to the tractor - worked great. Worked on getting this fence installed for two years. A little now - some more time, later. It has withstood the test of time. Installed in 1982 and still standing - tight, true and SHARP.

/ I wanted a fence stretcher #30  
Trick from the 50's: fastened the fence to a Farmall Super A, pull the coil wire and hit the starter button. Wouldn't work with a diesel.