I wanted a fence stretcher

/ I wanted a fence stretcher #31  
Some of you guys are fancy. My stretcher is a couple 2x4s bolted together pulled with a block and tackle. I've installed a bunch of woven and welded wire fencing and as long as I did it 100 feet at a time I could even do it by myself. Anything more gets too heavy unless you have someone to help, or you buy one of those rollers.

/ I wanted a fence stretcher #32  
Some of you guys are fancy. My stretcher is a couple 2x4s bolted together pulled with a block and tackle. I've installed a bunch of woven and welded wire fencing and as long as I did it 100 feet at a time I could even do it by myself. Anything more gets too heavy unless you have someone to help, or you buy one of those rollers.
You can make your own roller. I made mine out of scraps and 2 new hitch pins.

Attachments

• 556D8CA6-859A-4BA8-9DC7-8AEAE867974E.jpeg
    556D8CA6-859A-4BA8-9DC7-8AEAE867974E.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 933

/ I wanted a fence stretcher
Prba
With the tractor there is no "feel" about how tight the wire is.
prolly a bit over the top to suggest a piezo strain gauge with a blue tooth to your smartphone.
Found one on McMaster only $17-Grand.
That's an awful lot just for a glorified fish scale

/ I wanted a fence stretcher #34  
I built one several years ago to put up field fencing (hog wire as we call it around here). I think I had enough height to put a roll of barb wire on top and roll it off with the field fencing. One I get to a corner post, I would get off and close the clamping and us my tractor in low first, let the clutch out and kill the motor to stretch it tight. I only had a 240 MF with water in the tires. This might not be advised with a bigger tractor. When it runs out, put another roll on make the splice and take off again.

These pics are not the best since the clamping part is closed. It must be opened and pull the wire through it. It would take me a day or two, but I could likely get a few dimensions and another picture or two. There has been a few thousand feet run through it over the years. Several friends have borrowed it to use and to make them one. The last fence I built was about 16, 17 years ago.

Attachments

• MVC-188S.JPG
    MVC-188S.JPG
    236.1 KB · Views: 78
  • MVC-189S.JPG
    MVC-189S.JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 85
   / I wanted a fence stretcher #35  
Trick from the 50's: fastened the fence to a Farmall Super A, pull the coil wire and hit the starter button. Wouldn't work with a diesel.
Sure it would, pull the fuel cutoff

/ I wanted a fence stretcher #36  
I started out with a pair of 2x6's that I bolted together to stretch my fence, but the boards wore out and I wasn't getting the fence as tight as I wanted it on longer runs. I used new boards and then a length of angle iron and a 2x4 that worked better, but it wasn't ideal. I decided to spend the money and buy the Kencove stretcher bar. It wasn't very expensive compared to what you get, and how well engineered it is. I've been very impressed with it and highly recommend it.

I use a come along on the bottom, and another on the top. This allows me to get the top or the bottom tighter, when needed.
IMG_0010.JPG

To carry and unroll the 200 foot rolls of 2x4 horse fence that I'm installing, I attach my hay spear to my pallet forks. Since I already have them, it has proven to be a very cost effective method that works great.

IMG_0006.JPG

/ I wanted a fence stretcher #37  
They need to start teaching that in schools again! I work on things all the time that call for special tools, would go broke if I had to buy them.

Last edited: