Stihl KM 131R kombi review

/ Stihl KM 131R kombi review #121  
Here is a couple of things we found we didn't like on the machine.

The cap string is too short and the cap remains in the way.
View attachment 708267

The 4 string head seems to have thin sections and the strings are breaking it. I'll ask our dealer about these issues.
View attachment 708268
I put the echo/shindaiwa speed feed on mine. Best decision I made for my Kombi so far.

/ Stihl KM 131R kombi review
I put the echo/shindaiwa speed feed on mine. Best decision I made for my Kombi so far.

We do not use spool feed strings for brush claering since the largest you can load it with is 095. We run .155 string but we are trying to switch up to 170. Bigger is indeed better..

Last edited:
   / Stihl KM 131R kombi review #123  
   / Stihl KM 131R kombi review #124  
I have an older unit and bent the shaft to my polesaw. It still works but I need to fix it. The tube looks easy to replace? Anyone done this?
8D10CDA3-5722-46D4-9C14-B2269578A614.jpeg

/ Stihl KM 131R kombi review
I have an older unit and bent the shaft to my polesaw. It still works but I need to fix it. The tube looks easy to replace? Anyone done this?View attachment 736095
Yes we have! Find a tree with a fork in it, that's closely spaced to use as your anchor. In your case, looks like a smaller tree might be needed. Put the bent section between the tree forks first and have the kink on one of the forks and of course the short end of the pole against the other trunk. We do this in the field all the time.

I should add, our echo shafts we bent on a regular bases but the Stihl seems to be built stronger and we've not bent it yet. :unsure:

Last edited:
   / Stihl KM 131R kombi review #126  
Update on the M18 Pole saw.
So with about 30 or so hours on it of rough cutting everything from overhead branches and vines to bucking 10-18" trunks and limbs:
1) During long cuts the chain will loosen up. I have to listen for a rattle, then tighten chain.
This is about once every 10-20 minutes based on size of limb or trunk.
2) The oiler is still not oiling enough. I did take it apart and clean it just to check. Still very short on oil

I have ruined one chain that kept coming off the bar before I learned to listen for the rattle.
Anything much bigger that the 10" blade takes a long time to cut, but it works.
Handy on the trail for quick start/stop and lighter than either chainsaw.

Just pressing a trigger means I can do a walk through, using the brushcutter. When I run into something big, I just use the pole saw quick while the BC idles on the ground. I hardly stop/strart the brushcutter as it does most of the clearing. The pole saw would be a nightmare having to start it every 15 to 20 minutes just to work it for 2 minutes.

I have not bent the pole at all, though at times it seems I've tried :cool:

/ Stihl KM 131R kombi review #127  
If you could only have one system would you go with the Stihl Kombi or the M18? I have about a mile driveway though the woods that I maintain, it's not something that I'm going to use every day but a couple days a year it's going to get used a lot. I'd be getting the pole saw, hedge trimmer, and weed eater attachments. I see really mixed reviews on the Milwaukee's...

/ Stihl KM 131R kombi review #128  
I like the Milwaukee, but it does go through an 8AH battery every hour or so on pole saw or weedwacker.
My hedge trimmer is an Echo and my brushcutter is a Stihl. Both of these gas.

Even the weedwacker being battery powered is pushing it as I have 3 batteries and need to rotate them to get my 100's of feet of edging done. And 600' of driveway and 600' of road to keep cleared.

So the brushcutter does all the heavy work and the weed wacker for the edges which are more grass than brush.

The Kombi would make more sense for me for everything but the pole saw, I like the battery as the start/stop would be a nightmare. I only stop the BC or hedgetrimmer when I need a break or a refill.

/ Stihl KM 131R kombi review #129  
Yes we have! Find a tree with a fork in it, that's closely spaced to use as your anchor. In your case, looks like a smaller tree might be needed. Put the bent section between the tree forks first and have the kink on one of the forks and of course the short end of the pole against the other trunk. We do this in the field all the time.

I should add, our echo shafts we bent on a regular bases but the Stihl seems to be built stronger and we've not bent it yet. :unsure:
Great advice. Thanks for sharing!

Luckily, I haven’t bent or had any issues with the pole saw, extension or any of the components for my 131R. The 131R is the best tool I own and gets used and abused regularly.

Mike

/ Stihl KM 131R kombi review #130  
Pulled out the KM131 the other day third pull it fired right up. Used the edger first down the driveway to put that nice groove between concrete and turf. Then the string trimmer attachment and went all along the fence lines and around the edges of the buildings. Hit the box woods with the hedge trimmer.

After that I was wishing they had a lawn mower attachment. It’s that great!