Advise / Opinions to Sell and Buy Welder

/ Advise / Opinions to Sell and Buy Welder #31  
Likewise my eyesight went to heck long ago, but glasses could only do so much and are often a bother ... one can actually purchase magnifying lens for standard helmet types, and would probably be a benefit to you.

Brazing by flame isn't the quickest either.

/ Advise / Opinions to Sell and Buy Welder
Likewise my eyesight went to heck long ago, but glasses could only do so much and are often a bother ... one can actually purchase magnifying lens for standard helmet types, and would probably be a benefit to you.

Brazing by flame isn't the quickest either.
I have heard about the magnifying lens. Have you used ? Curious to know what the focal length is ? If it helps at say a 18" or so distance, this would help greatly - for me.

/ Advise / Opinions to Sell and Buy Welder #33  
I'd say visit a good welding supplier an see what they have on hand, or visit the local optometrist who's probably going to know what would work for you, and more than likely have made up welding glasses to the same as a person's regular glasses. The only reason I know that was a guy had prescription based lenses and it's what he did as part of his job.

I don't know if those numbers translate to what's used on reading glasses though ... I've never bothered with welding lenses, ( for a long time I am guided by feel and noise to get a bit of scratching done, I'm not welding high spec) though I expect lens would greatly help me, half the time my blurry vision is coating or watery eye.

Last edited:
   / Advise / Opinions to Sell and Buy Welder #34  
I’ve been using a cheater 2.0 lens for several years. I tried several different ones to arrive at that magnification. It’s just a part of being lucky enough to grow older. It makes a world of difference.

/ Advise / Opinions to Sell and Buy Welder #35  
Mark,
Thanks for answering my questions. As previously mentioned, my step #1 is to sell my current Miller Stick. Forgive the question, but I now see your @Everlast "advertiser". So, you are a distributor for them ? Dah, I am not clear how this all works - why would I order thru you vs. punching it up on the Everlast website ? Which, claims the i-Mig200 is on sale at the moment ? Don't take offense here, I am just wondering.
I work directly for Everlast. I'm no distributor. I've been on this site, supporting this site as an Everlast Rep for quite some time now. I'm no flash in the pan. My prices are as good as the website, if not better, especially on accessories. And I give personal service.

/ Advise / Opinions to Sell and Buy Welder #36  
Roustabout. I know you are RIGHT ! I actually may end up doing just that - keep the Miller Stick and practice more. For a lot of my "known projects" which, are arbors / fence sections, I may try brazing ? Do not know a lot about this process either.
I have "real" troubles with Stick however. The single biggest issue (being a novice) is actually when I start to weld. With a full size rod, I lose control, and cannot see very well - if that makes sense ? If I get my head closer where I can see, then my hand is above my head, which is difficult. I know, practice, practice.... Once the rod burns down, it is Much easier for me. Cut all rods to 1/2 length... :) ?
I have used a MIG a total of 1 time. But, could get right on top of the work, so it was "easy for me to see what I was doing / see the puddle". That, and the "easier, so they say" to weld thinner metal is the reason I was considering a MIG, with the Everlast i-Mig 200 having the bonus of running on 110v, also having stick capability. Planning for retirement this year, so this adds a little- "get what I think I am going to use before retirement" ? Or perhaps, it is "I want a new toy".:cool:
So, I am one of those people who go to buy a computer, but do not "KNOW" everything I am going to use it for. So, I run some "what if's" and eventually decide to buy more capability than what I think I "need". Not quite apples to apples, but just a general thought process.

So, with a torch and coat hanger.... I would call that a brazing "type" job ? I don't have any real torch, just a hand-help map gas.

With map gas you can play with aluminum. Everyone I know that has a wire welder also still has the stick machine, and still use it. Get an auto darkening hood at harbor freight. Makes it easier welding alone.

/ Advise / Opinions to Sell and Buy Welder #37  
If you are having trouble seeing where your weld bead is going, and you have AD helmet try turning shade down a little, try 2 diopter cheater lenses in helmet and add a lot of ambient light to where you are trying to weld....

I find adding head lamp like in image below for old tired eyes....

WELDHEMETWITHLIGHT.jpg

Image stolen for internet source a long time ago....

I work directly for Everlast. I'm no distributor. I've been on this site, supporting this site as an Everlast Rep for quite some time now. I'm no flash in the pan. My prices are as good as the website, if not better, especially on accessories. And I give personal service.
Ok, thanks Mark. I *really* was not certain, no offense intended here. Last exposure I had to "advertiser / distributor" was years gone by... and it was not good. Will contact you when I get to the point of a purchase.
Thanks !

With map gas you can play with aluminum. Everyone I know that has a wire welder also still has the stick machine, and still use it. Get an auto darkening hood at harbor freight. Makes it easier welding alone.
Yep, have a good Miller auto-darkening hood. I think I need some magnification. Need to revisit the "darkness" dial operation on it, perhaps it is set incorrectly ?

/ Advise / Opinions to Sell and Buy Welder #40  
Yep, have a good Miller auto-darkening hood. I think I need some magnification. Need to revisit the "darkness" dial operation on it, perhaps it is set incorrectly ?
Reading glasses should do it. Maybe you're set too dark on the hood.