New Tractor: Three Point Hitch Came Apart (see pictures)

/ New Tractor: Three Point Hitch Came Apart (see pictures) #1  

saxon11

Bronze Member
Tractor
TYM T474
New tractor, with about 10 hours on it (not using the three point hitch). To my dismay when I walked up to it this morning, my 3-point hitch section must have rattled loose. Am I suppose to be checking and tightening this or some other issue?

IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

/ New Tractor: Three Point Hitch Came Apart (see pictures) #3  
Someone forgot to tighten the lock nut after leveling? Dealer prep should have caught it, but yes, you should also be looking for loose and missing nuts/bolts/pins. My loader to frame bracket bolts were loose after ~10hrs. Gotta check. Get your wrench set out and go over all the nuts and bolts.

/ New Tractor: Three Point Hitch Came Apart (see pictures) #4  
Spent about two hours going over my last new tractor. Loose bolts, cotter pins not even spread let alone bent over, and no grease or lube were all over the unit. A lot I don't believe were dealer prep spots, parts seemed to be assembled at the factory, but still annoying. Glad I took the time...lesson learned from my last tractor with endless hydraulic leaks during the first ~10 hrs.

Sorry OP, I would absolutely go over the entire tractor with a fine tooth comb and mark all the nuts/bolts along with everything else you decided to do.

/ New Tractor: Three Point Hitch Came Apart (see pictures) #6  
I could write a whole book on bad dealer prep. Literally all 4 of the Kubotas that ive received new at work had significant problems. Literally the last machine which was an LX3310 received last fall immediately had the 3rd function lines torn off because the dealer mounted the grille guard wrong and has a loader that is significantly twisted to where one side is 3/4" lower than the other. Otherwise, there are always lose bolts and leaking hydraulic lines on the dealer installed parts.

/ New Tractor: Three Point Hitch Came Apart (see pictures) #7  
I could write a whole book on bad dealer prep. Literally all 4 of the Kubotas that ive received new at work had significant problems. Literally the last machine which was an LX3310 received last fall immediately had the 3rd function lines torn off because the dealer mounted the grille guard wrong and has a loader that is significantly twisted to where one side is 3/4" lower than the other. Otherwise, there are always lose bolts and leaking hydraulic lines on the dealer installed parts.
Wow, that’s terrible to hear. When my tractor was delivered back on n December, all the bolts had sharpie marks on the heads indicating they were tightened and an inspection check list. I checked the bolts at 10 hours and all were still tight.

/ New Tractor: Three Point Hitch Came Apart (see pictures) #8  
In 40+ years I've had two tractors. Both from the same dealer. Everything was tight - all grease points had been greased - all oil & lube ports were completely full.

One added thing I have done. One at a time - remove each/every wheel nut - a daub of Blue Loktite - re torque each nut. For me, a half day job - 56 wheel nuts in total.

When we say - choose a dealer carefully - it's not that he has a great smile and handshake. It's that he knows his job and does it properly & completely. Best to ask the tough questions BEFORE you purchase the tractor than ask for an explanation later.

/ New Tractor: Three Point Hitch Came Apart (see pictures) #9  
Owning a tractor is/can be considerably different than owning a car. With a car - drive it, take it in for service when called for. With a tractor - it's best to be quite familiar with most every aspect of the Owner Manual at the time of purchase. Know what routine maintenance is expected and when. Know what to expect - what are indicators of a problem - how to prevent or correct many conditions.

The Owner Manual is designed to enlighten the new owner. Not grace some dusty shelf and be pulled out only when a problem arises.

OK - I now step down off the soap box.

/ New Tractor: Three Point Hitch Came Apart (see pictures) #10  
This topic has a combination of dealer prep, and operator check, in this case, they were both missed. Low criticality, but a message none the less. Yes, the dealer should have checked the three point lift arm turnbuckle, and it's a worthwhile operator check too. There are many fasteners which the operator could not be expected see nor check pre-operation. Those are certainly manufacturer and dealer responsibility.

And there are some operator adjustable fasteners, which, yes, the dealer should assure, and the operator should be aware of for operation, as the operator could have adjusted them. For a loose turnbuckle on a brand new tractor, yes, I would think a thought about the dealer, and I would kick myself too. Yes, I would tell the dealer what I'd found, but I'd stop short of waving the ugly stick, it was partly my responsibility too. Later in ownership (at the first 50 hour check, or after first operator adjustment) that nut becomes the operator responsibility.

My dealer delivered and installed the mid mount mower on my new tractor last summer, as it was not available when he delivered the tractor. An hour after he'd left, he texted me to check two adjusting nuts for tightness, he didn't recall tightening them completely. I checked right away, they were tight. Not perfect, but adequate for me.