Branson 4720h Engine replacing rings

/ Branson 4720h Engine replacing rings #1  

Bob Nelson

Bronze Member
Tractor
Branson 2400h, New Holland TC33d, Ford 1720, Kubota BX2350d
I am looking to replace possibly some pistons and rings in my 4720h. I contacted 2 different dealers and found the price for a set of rings on ONE cylinder at approximately $250. Read that $1,000 for a set of rings for all 4 cylinders. Pistons were about $230 each.
I have never heard if these kinds of prices. I am looking at trying out Chinese parts at these prices. Just ridiculous.
Anyone have ideas on other sources or ideas?

/ Branson 4720h Engine replacing rings #2  
I am considering Chinese parts at these ridiculous prices.
Anyone have ideas on other sources?

Branson is headquartered in South Korea. Most of Branson's manufacturing is in South Korea.

Chinese parts may be a tad cheaper but probably not much.

I recommend biting the bullet and using Branson OEM parts.

/ Branson 4720h Engine replacing rings
A chinese rebuild kit is in the 500$ range vs well over $2,000 with Branson. $230 for one fuel injector. Unbelieveable.

Every where I look at rebuild kits for nearly every other brand the prices are similar vs Chinese. The tractor is great, but this kind of pricing makes owning one long term unlikely. I have owned Ford, NH, Kubota, Deere, etc, etc. Never saw anything like this.

/ Branson 4720h Engine replacing rings #4  
I haven't had to do it yet, but there has to be a parts supplier in Korea that would be more reasonable.
I know that my water pump a couple of years ago was $435 plus shipping which I thought was a bit past ridiculous.

/ Branson 4720h Engine replacing rings #5  
A chinese rebuild kit is in the 500$ range vs well over $2,000 with Branson. $230 for one fuel injector. Unbelieveable.
I speculate that South Korean tractor brands (Branson/TYM/LS/Kioti) outsell Chinese brand tractors in the USA at least 300:1 in units. This is a pretty understandable message to me.

I recommend biting the bullet and using Branson OEM parts.

You work hard for your money. Spend it as you wish. Good luck.

/ Branson 4720h Engine replacing rings #6  
The forums "say" these are Cummins engines, maybe they have what you need?...

Yes.Cummins designed the engine A2300N2. I am in the process of cross referencing these. I have one supplier that said they may be able to match up the parts once removed.

The Cummins A2300 is used in hundreds of applications such as backhoes, skid steers. Each is slightly a different design. All those parts are reasonable, but Branson has decided to seriously make repairs painful.

I do this as a hobby. I am just amazed at the price. I can see why, even though the basic tractor is well made, maintenance costs and availability of parts makes owning it difficult. It is no wonder why most folks stick to Kubota, Deere, NH, etc.

/ Branson 4720h Engine replacing rings #8  
That is crazy pricing. Please keep us updated on what you find and how the rebuild goes. I have the same engine in mine.