Branson 4720h Engine replacing rings

/ Branson 4720h Engine replacing rings #11  
Find a local diesel repair shop in your area and ask them if they can get Cummins parts. I see diesel shops around here with the Cummins sign on the side of their building. Walk in there and tell them what you need. I doubt there's any moving part in that Branson engine that they can't get directly from a Cummins catalog. Some of the other castings may differ, manifolds, head, maybe even the block. I doubt they differ on any important parts, but like water jacket flanges, mounting bracket holes cast in for alternator brakets, etc, those may well be different. But bearing sets, rods, pistons, valves, hell even crankshafts will be a direct bolt in.

Those engines were built under direct license from Cummins. They have to match on all specs to satisfy the license agreement.

/ Branson 4720h Engine replacing rings #12  
Find a local diesel repair shop in your area and ask them if they can get Cummins parts. I see diesel shops around here with the Cummins sign on the side of their building. Walk in there and tell them what you need. I doubt there's any moving part in that Branson engine that they can't get directly from a Cummins catalog. Some of the other castings may differ, manifolds, head, maybe even the block. I doubt they differ on any important parts, but like water jacket flanges, mounting bracket holes cast in for alternator brakets, etc, those may well be different. But bearing sets, rods, pistons, valves, hell even crankshafts will be a direct bolt in.

Those engines were built under direct license from Cummins. They have to match on all specs to satisfy the license agreement.
I tried that with a neighbor I was helping with 2400h engine and had no luck. Maybe the few shops I tried just didn't want to help. Ended up getting everything from a Branson dealer...

/ Branson 4720h Engine replacing rings #13  
The money saved on the front end buying off brands gets spent on repairs and rapid depreciation

/ Branson 4720h Engine replacing rings #14  
The money saved on the front end buying off brands gets spent on repairs and rapid depreciation.
Tis better to let them think you are a fool than open you mouth and remove all doubt. (Mark Twain)

/ Branson 4720h Engine replacing rings #15  
I am looking to replace possibly some pistons and rings in my 4720h. I contacted 2 different dealers and found the price for a set of rings on ONE cylinder at approximately $250. Read that $1,000 for a set of rings for all 4 cylinders. Pistons were about $230 each.
I have never heard if these kinds of prices. I am looking at trying out Chinese parts at these prices. Just ridiculous.
Anyone have ideas on other sources or ideas?
Are you 100% sure of that pricing and part numbers?

The Branson UK website lists the Piston + Rings at $240 and just the rings at $148, which would be a lot more reasonable and inline with pricing of other brands.

The money saved on the front end buying off brands gets spent on repairs and rapid depreciation

As far as the troll that always come with the off brands comment, well, I remember when the same BS was said about Kubota as well but evidently, some have short memory for what's convenient to them.

/ Branson 4720h Engine replacing rings #16  
As far as some of the Branson engines being Cummins I would be a bit dubious.
I seem to recall that that was actually an Onan engine that Cummins acquired with Onan.
I do know that my engine has nothing in common with any Cummins that I have found.
Mine is a DT3400T-ATAC which is a 208 cu. in. or 3409 cc.

/ Branson 4720h Engine replacing rings #17  
As far as some of the Branson engines being Cummins I would be a bit dubious.
I seem to recall that that was actually an Onan engine that Cummins acquired with Onan.
I do know that my engine has nothing in common with any Cummins that I have found.
Mine is a DT3400T-ATAC which is a 208 cu. in. or 3409 cc.
The DT3400 is a Kukje engine. I believe they came out with that engine after the 6640 tractors that had the Cummins B3.3 engine.

The smaller A series engines are very very similar to the Cummins if not the same. After all, those were made for Cummins with the Cummins sticker on it. While the ones on the tractors have a Kukje sticker. Of course, the only way to be sure was if someone managed to have parts from Kukje and from Cummins side by side to compare.

I also read on Branson group that someone who works on generators saw that Generac also uses these A series engines on some of their units. I tried to look at the catalog but they don't really disclose much info about the engines used on their units.

/ Branson 4720h Engine replacing rings #18  
Cummins bought out Onan to get their "small displacement" engines. So yes, they were originally an Onan design, but Cummins bought them out, and continued to put them in many different lines of equipment over the years.

The guy at the parts counter probably didn't know how to cross reference the parts. Anymore, if they can't look it up on a computer by your "make, model and year", often times they are lost.

/ Branson 4720h Engine replacing rings
I have somewhat of an update. I took the head off and it looks as pretty good on first examination. I am going to mic the cylinders today. If good for the hone/ring replacement I will go ahead and pull the pan and the pistons for examination. If not, the engine will need to be removed and bored. The later model (mine's a 2011) a2300s do not have a removable liner but can be bored. I do not want to remove the engine!

I found these photos and link. Note that these engines are made in China but have a "made in Korea" sticker identical to mine on them! I suspect they had China make the engines and installed them in Korea? Note the manufacturer date of September 30,2008.

/ Branson 4720h Engine replacing rings #20  
Wow, it's even supercharged!

I bet that it's made by Kujke and being resold by the Chinese seller. My experience with buying stuff from China is that you're rarely dealing with the manufacturer, it's usually a trading house.