Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft..

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #11  
I'd get the Hi Lift. It has a removable handle.
You've got to be careful with those, also. I once was jacking the back of my truck up, the jack slipped, and the handle went spiraling high over the truck and landed in front of the truck.

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #12  
You've got to be careful with those, also. I once was jacking the back of my truck up, the jack slipped, and the handle went spiraling high over the truck and landed in front of the truck.

Yes. I drill through my handle and put a pin or bolt through it. On truck bumpers, they get on a good tilt before wheel comes up. you have to chock the front wheel because if it rolls forward you can gouge your tail gate. Or bust your grille if on the front. I carry one in my old metal bumper truck. Can't use one with the newer plastic bumpers.

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #13  
I carry a 12 ton bottle jack and a more power puller now , several times in the past a hilift jack caused more trouble than the original problem. I do have several but they are normally used as spreaders or clamps.
A 3 ton 30 ft more power puller is the thing to have and my horse trailer weighs 9000lbs empty so the 12 ton bottle jack is the safest thing.

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #15  
I have a lever action chain hoist like this one that I find is the best for pulling where it sounds like you plan to use a high lift: 1/4 ton Lever Manual Chain Hoist
They also make them in 3/4 ton and 1 1/2 ton sizes. I've been very happy with them and would not replace them with a high lift jack, I have no interest in doing plastic surgery to reshape my face via a jack handle...

Aaron Z

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #16  
Hi Lift jacks by nature are unstable so you need to block wheels to keep vehicle from moving forward/backward or sideways..... Also the ratchet mechanism is crude but effective, so stay out of range of handle, jack can ratchet down on its own and handle will fly up, if you are not careful and it will be looking to hurt you.... Are they effective, YES are the safe MAYBE, do I like mine NO.....It is last resort to move or lift or tug things (with chains) ....

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #18  
With all the lawsuits and mandated safty devices(supposed safety,think gas can) how has hi-lifts remained on the market?

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #20  
I carry a 12 ton bottle jack and a more power puller now , several times in the past a hilift jack caused more trouble than the original problem. I do have several but they are normally used as spreaders or clamps.
A 3 ton 30 ft more power puller is the thing to have and my horse trailer weighs 9000lbs empty so the 12 ton bottle jack is the safest thing.

I use a rail road toe jack for them trailers. Watch for one in pawn shops or flea markets.