Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft..

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #31  
"When is a near 4ft lift not enough?"

When your lifted jeep is high-centered on a boulder. I find they are more dangerous when you are lowering them. Hint: keep your head out of the path of the handle. That headache lasted almost a month.

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft..
A piece of plywood works as great jack pad....
So does a piece of diamondplate. But on a slope, that floor Jack can get entertaining, too

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #34  
I have the 4 foot jack. Unless you're using it as a winch, stay with the 4 footer.
I'm not sure what these really are used for. Tall Jeeps? You have a pic or link?

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #35  
Because their hand is forced when Wallyworld or some large distributor has a reverse auction to see who the low bidder is that gets sold in their store, the cheap one wins. Go cheap and off shore or go home.

...because American consumers are “Why should I pay more?“
…never mind quality or preserving a manufacturing base.
I average 2 times per year in WalMart. And then it's because I can't find what I need anywhere else locally. WalMart only has power because the consumer gives it to them.

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #36  
I like my 4 foot Hi-Lift jack for two reasons and only use it when these reasons come up. When I need a tall jack, like when something gets stuck in the dirt and the jack sinks some before the vehicle starts to rise, and when the jacking point is fairly high up, and when I need a low jack for something like my forklift that has jacking points that are very low but where the Hi-Lift can get its toe into. I have used my Hi-Lift twice at least on my 8000 lb fork lift. I get it high enough to get some blocking in place and then switch to a hydraulic floor jack once there is clearance. Though I have seen folks use their Hi-Lift to pull stuff I would much rather use a come-along. I have never needed a 5 foot jack. I guess if I was jacking stuff with really tall jacking points, like some tractors maybe, then a 5 footer would be handy.
Eric

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #37  

Bruce

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #38  
I purchased 2 of the taller version for a club, but if I bought another for myself, i think i'd get the shorter version. One was the TSC make which was awful. Brought it back and got a highlift.

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #39  
A bulldozer lag makes the best platform I’ve ever used for a hi lift. I wish that I hadn’t lost it. :(

I wore out my power puller, I’ve bought all new parts except the frame, now it’s scattered all over my shop floor waiting to be put together. Today I borrowed this, which my father bought around 60 years ago. 190C6127-FDE5-4084-AE70-0F5A9EB07986.jpeg

/ Hi-Lift Jacks... debating 4ft vs 5ft.. #40  
I have 4 4 footers. I have no idea why they would make a 5'. Using them to change a pickup tire is dangerous, (any bumper jack is). BUT, . . lifting a truck box to stick a 4x4 between the box and frame, lifting an implement drawbar to hook up, lifting a tractor axle to spin the tire while putting chains on, pulling posts, breaking tire beads, lifting buildings, jacking up pole barns, clamping (need more than one), and many many more tasks, NOTHING beats a High-Lift. Don't know about other brands. As with any tool, common sense is a requirement.