Best fuel additives

/ Best fuel additives #1  

Brady D

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1910, Case farmall 95, John Deere 317g
What is the best diesel fuel additive for an old tractor?

/ Best fuel additives #3  
check out opti-lube,been using there products for 5 years,in the winter we use the xpd in the summer we use there lubricity xl,very pleased with it in older and newer diesel engines

/ Best fuel additives #4  
My question is, what are you hoping to achieve by using an additive. If that old tractor has survived this long presumably without using fuel additives, I say don't fix what isn't broken.

I'm following interesting discussions about diesel additives and which brand additives work best in what regions of the country. I didn't realize that diesel isn't all the same across the country. I recently took delivery of a new RAM EcoDiesel and I was surprised when I read this in the owner's manual;

"Under normal conditions the diesel fuel filter should be replaced every 20,000 miles (32,000 km) (every other oil change). If the vehicle is being used in severe operating conditions, or in certain geographical areas of the country (Pennsylvania, New York, Ohio, Maryland, West Virginia, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa, Missouri and Nebraska) due to fuel cleanliness issues, it’s recommended to replace the fuel filter every 10,000 miles (16,000 km)."

This prompted me to start looking around. Granted, this is about modern diesel engines and their emission systems and HP fuel delivery.

I use Power Service treatment for the diesel tractors and other land maintenance equipment mainly to prevent gelling in the winter (I buy off-road diesel in bulk) and to up the cetane above 50.

In my EcoDiesel and the RAM 3500 Cummins, I use Everyday Diesel Treatment, this also boosts the cetane but provides additional lubricity for the high-pressure fuel pumps.

/ Best fuel additives #5  
I typically use Diesel Kleen (aka, Power Service) or Sea Foam. Both available locally at Walmart. Best ? Needed ? I am not a chemist, mechanic or pretend to know any details. I have (2) engine mechanic friends who have both told me it's a good idea to keep stabilizer / treatment in my fuel. My tractor can sit idle for two week stretches of time. 1989 model JD.

/ Best fuel additives #9  
I have a 40 year old Yanmar tractor. I decided to use an additive because the diesel that was available when the tractor was made is no longer available. Apparently the sulfur that used to be present but no longer is has reduced the lubricity of the diesel fuel. I also wanted to use something that might clean the injectors because I have no idea how the tractor was treated before I bought it. The additive I chose was Power Service but I really don't know if it is any better than other brands. I do know that my tractor started faster after I added the stuff. This could have been coincidence because the tractor had been sitting for so long before I bought it and just running it may have made it work better. But the stuff is cheap and doesn't hurt the tractor and I want the thing to run well for another 40 years. Like my over 80 year old Ford 9N.
Eric

/ Best fuel additives #10  
77029EBF-DC35-48F2-A076-E2EC5EE2E02C.jpeg