Starlink

/ Starlink #2,392  
Buy a second unit.
With all the people waiting for their first unit, I doubt a second unit would come quickly. If you could get one would you also be required to pay the full monthly service fee instead of the mobility fee?

/ Starlink #2,393  
Starlink "caught me" using the system outside my service address.

Oddly, it never caught me when I was away. But when I returned to my service address and fired it up, I got a message ... bitching ... about not be in the assigned location. Even though, I once again was at home base.

The system would not "wake up" and provide any service. I added the portability option, and it still didn't change. But I left it alone (and rebooted it) and eventually it was back to normal.

However, I am frequently getting an error regarding "Starlink has detected you are using a non-Starlink wifi router. Please only use the Starlink wifi router." I have been using a Netgear r9000 router (using ethernet cable) with Starlink wifi turned off. It has been problematic enough that, for now, I reset to factory config and am only using the dishy, the Starlink wifi router, and cable. Seems pretty primitive that it bitches if I want to integrate another device into the network?

/ Starlink #2,394  
I'm sorry to hear that it is giving you grief. Have you contacted support?

I think that Starlink wants their router to do the nameserving (DHCP), or be cut out of the loop entirely. (Starlink router shutdown option, which requires a factory reboot to turn back on)

Did you have your router running a different subnet to Starlink? Have you considers just moving the house network to a different address space than the Starlink router or McFlatFace?

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #2,395  
I will double check these numbers, but I believe the Starlink router uses 10.0.0.1 by default. And its DHCP serves up 10.0.0.x addresses. I have not tried to change that, and am not sure you even can?

My Netgear router is 192.168.1.1. I prefer to use that address for a router since (in the future) it will sync up to all my home devices which already use 192.168.1.x addresses. (Except for testing of a few components with Netgear/starlink, all my home devices still connect to my old network.)

I have tested three devices connecting to the Netgear router, then onto Starlink. Phone, tablet, TV. Mostly testing streaming video. Either direct to a TV (using wireless), or first to my phone then screen casting to TV (also using wireless.) Most of the time it works, but then, at times, the error message about using a "non-Starlink wifi router" pops up seemingly randomly.

I will add the Netgear router back in today, and see if the error message returns. If it does, I can always reset to factory config again. I have not yet opened up any service ticket with Starlink.

/ Starlink #2,396  
I'm using an older Netgear router attached to the dongle from Starlink.
I've had no warning messages, the Starlink WFI is active as well as the Netgear R6220 WFI.
I have connected to each of them at different times with different devices.
Speed test when going through the Starlink are higher then through the Netgear.
Actual performance I don't see any difference most of the time.
The Netgear seems to max out around 80 MPS while the Starlink can be 200 but is usually around 100-120 MBS.
One thing that really irritates me is that because the ground station that my system is using must be in NYC
all these website that try and locate you try assigning me to stores in NYC or NJ and I have to change the stores to my location.

/ Starlink #2,397  
If it were me, I would try moving the Netgear to 192.168.N.0/24 (where N>=2). The 10.0.0.X address(es) seem to be reserved for the dish. My Starlink router came with its address at 192.168.1.X, so I moved the house off of that, and things have been fine since. I have read over on Reddit that the Starlink router is limited to 127 addresses in the 192.168.1.n (192.168.1.0/12) network, but I haven't seen anything official.

All the best,

Peter

/ Starlink #2,398  
I will double check these numbers, but I believe the Starlink router uses 10.0.0.1 by default. And its DHCP serves up 10.0.0.x addresses. I have not tried to change that, and am not sure you even can?

My Netgear router is 192.168.1.1. I prefer to use that address for a router since (in the future) it will sync up to all my home devices which already use 192.168.1.x addresses. (Except for testing of a few components with Netgear/starlink, all my home devices still connect to my old network.)

I have tested three devices connecting to the Netgear router, then onto Starlink. Phone, tablet, TV. Mostly testing streaming video. Either direct to a TV (using wireless), or first to my phone then screen casting to TV (also using wireless.) Most of the time it works, but then, at times, the error message about using a "non-Starlink wifi router" pops up seemingly randomly.

I will add the Netgear router back in today, and see if the error message returns. If it does, I can always reset to factory config again. I have not yet opened up any service ticket with Starlink.

if your plugged into the wan or internet port on the netgear, the starlink router doesn't know the netgear subnet, due to nat. if you have it plugged into one of the switch ports, that could cause a issue.

/ Starlink #2,399  
Starlink "caught me" using the system outside my service address.

Oddly, it never caught me when I was away. But when I returned to my service address and fired it up, I got a message ... bitching ... about not be in the assigned location. Even though, I once again was at home base.

The system would not "wake up" and provide any service. I added the portability option, and it still didn't change. But I left it alone (and rebooted it) and eventually it was back to normal.

However, I am frequently getting an error regarding "Starlink has detected you are using a non-Starlink wifi router. Please only use the Starlink wifi router." I have been using a Netgear r9000 router (using ethernet cable) with Starlink wifi turned off. It has been problematic enough that, for now, I reset to factory config and am only using the dishy, the Starlink wifi router, and cable. Seems pretty primitive that it bitches if I want to integrate another device into the network?
That doesn't make much sense. A big selling point of the Starlink system is that you can use the included router or replace it (via simple removal if you have the round dish system or putting router in bypass mode for the rectangular system) and use your own router. Tons of people do this. I've never heard of that error message you listed before and I pay pretty close attention to Starlink.

As a side note, even if you did have to leave the Starlink router in place you can connect another router or mesh system to it and use that as your primary wifi network. Works fine. And for the vast majority of use cases the double NAT situation isn't an issue.

/ Starlink #2,400  

Devices I connect to my Starlink system, via wifi or direct ethernet, get 192.168.0.x IPs. Never seen a 10.x address in my system.