Starlink

/ Starlink #2,371  
We have had Starlink since February and I had to power it off/on last Friday. That is pretty good since DSL and MoFi would require at least weekly, if not daily, resets. MoFi with Verizon has been broken for weeks now and we need to find some time to get it fixed. The wife spent a day on the phone with Verizon when it first failed, then they dropped her call, but the device started working. However, it was dead again in 24 hours. 🤬 The lights are all correct but we can't connect to Verizon's network and a friend of ours has the same issue.

We want the Verizon connection as a backup to Starlink.

We just had a strong front move through and Starlink went down when we had a voltage issue. Really need to get the shelf fixed in the utility rooms so I can install the UPS..... Cant' blame that on Starlink. :ROFLMAO:

Later,
Dan

/ Starlink #2,372  
Starlink just announced a portability option:

STARLINK

Starlink is excited to announce Portability as an add-on feature for all Starlink customers. Portability enables customers to temporarily move their Starlink to new locations and receive high-speed internet anywhere where Starlink provides active coverage within the same continent. To see active coverage areas, please view the Starlink Availability Map.

You can enable Portability for $25/month on your account page. Once enabled, Portability will take effect immediately, and you can disable Portability from your account page at any time.

To learn more about Starlink Portability, please read our FAQ page.

Thank you for being a Starlink customer!

The Starlink team

Space Exploration Technologies Corp | 1 Rocket Road, Hawthorne, CA 90250
Questions? See Starlink FAQs

At $25/mo, it could be a cost effective option for vacationers

/ Starlink #2,373  

STARLINK

Starlink is excited to announce Portability as an add-on feature for all Starlink customers. Portability enables customers to temporarily move their Starlink to new locations and receive high-speed internet anywhere where Starlink provides active coverage within the same continent. To see active coverage areas, please view the Starlink Availability Map.

You can enable Portability for $25/month on your account page. Once enabled, Portability will take effect immediately, and you can disable Portability from your account page at any time.

The Starlink team

So if you had family/friend in a grid that had availablilty instead of wait, you could get them to buy the dish and add portability and have it at your house while you pay bill. That is until your ship came in. It might be worth a try.

/ Starlink #2,374  
Interesting map, a narrow swath across upstate NY in the wait list area.
I've had mine for several months now and while the service is much better then what I had it's not as spectacular
as most post that it is.
And my location is in the wait listed area.

/ Starlink #2,375  

STARLINK

The Starlink team

pretty sure that 25 is on top of the normal price

/ Starlink #2,377  
Yes, the $25 is definitely on top of the normal subscription. I don't think he implied otherwise. $25 more is still much less than getting a LTE hotspot or any other type of separate portable ISP.

I'm curious what, if anything, Starlink will do to facilitate this portability option for owners of the original round dish, which has a permanently attached cable. Un-installing that cable to the roof (or pole, whatever) would be infeasible to take the dish with you. People with the rectangular dish have it fairly easy... Just go up on the roof, disconnect the cable and then have a second cable to use when portable.