If You Were To Get A New 6 Ft Finish Mower - What Would You get?

/ If You Were To Get A New 6 Ft Finish Mower - What Would You get? #1  

wirlybird

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3038 E, John Deere 3032E, John Deere 756, John Deere X585, John Deere 332
Ok, I'll clarify a little.
Considering replacing my 6 foot finish mower.
The main thing I would like is not only a rear discharge but one with a good discharge pattern. Not one that discharges in clumps like mine does.
Mine has a "chute" type discharge at the rear so it restricts the discharge some and causes clumping. I first took the chains off and it was a little better then took the chute off and it is much better but it also blasts the left rear wheel with clippings turning it into a big green grass ball!
I've seen a few that look like they discharge across the whole back of the mower. Wondering how well these work?

It also needs to be a pretty heavy duty mower. Not so much blade wise but just overall construction.
The areas it will be used on are not perfectly smooth!

Thanks for suggestions. Used in great shape is also an option.

/ If You Were To Get A New 6 Ft Finish Mower - What Would You get? #2  
The Brush Hog 6ft RFM I had was rear discharge, left a gorgeous cut on uneven yard, and was built as thick and heavy as a rotary cutter. If only my tractor could have pulled it faster. 25 hp not enough if you have hills.

/ If You Were To Get A New 6 Ft Finish Mower - What Would You get? #3  
the only mower that I REALLY WANT at this point is a Ventrac 4520 (not sure of the specific model yet)

/ If You Were To Get A New 6 Ft Finish Mower - What Would You get? #4  
In 2009 I bought a phoenix 6' 3 pt hitch finishing mower for my Kubota L3800. No complaints. I was a little too rough with it at first so I had to replace wheel forks a couple of times and the belt tightening system had to be rebuilt but works fine now. I would buy again. Nice thing about rear discharge is the underside of deck does not need as much clean up as a side discharge. :D Getting the blades on and off requires a 3/4" breaker bar.

/ If You Were To Get A New 6 Ft Finish Mower - What Would You get? #5  
I have the 7' estate finishing mower ( rear discharge ) from Agri-Supply and it leaves a nice finish as it discharges all the way across the rear, but unless you just want a finish mower, a nice 60" zero turn lawn mower will get the chore done faster, I have a 52" and a 60" Gravely ZT's and they are what I mostly use.

/ If You Were To Get A New 6 Ft Finish Mower - What Would You get?
The Brush Hog 6ft RFM I had was rear discharge, left a gorgeous cut on uneven yard, and was built as thick and heavy as a rotary cutter. If only my tractor could have pulled it faster. 25 hp not enough if you have hills.
Is it Brush hog or Bush hog? Model number by chance? Not finding much yet but like the sound of it.

/ If You Were To Get A New 6 Ft Finish Mower - What Would You get? #7  
I'd get another landpride, mine won't die after 30 years

I have the 7' estate finishing mower ( rear discharge ) from Agri-Supply and it leaves a nice finish as it discharges all the way across the rear, but unless you just want a finish mower, a nice 60" zero turn lawn mower will get the chore done faster, I have a 52" and a 60" Gravely ZT's and they are what I mostly use.
I considered a large Z turn but first thing is I won't use it anywhere else.
I also tried one out on one of these areas and it was a rough ride.
I'll look at Agri. 7 is too big since I can't trailer it! But a 6 is good.

/ If You Were To Get A New 6 Ft Finish Mower - What Would You get? #9  
I have an old big bee that is a rear discharge , It cuts very good and does not clump . My original woods was a side discharge and it was terrible For leaving rows of grass, cutting more often helps alot but with gas prices it is costly. We have had so much rain i cant keep up with it,

I have an old big bee that is a rear discharge , It cuts very good and does not clump . My original woods was a side discharge and it was terrible For leaving rows of grass, cutting more often helps alot but with gas prices it is costly. We have had so much rain i cant keep up with it,
Yea, diesel is out of control. Cost me more to fill two gas cans yesterday than it used to cost to fill my Tahoe!