If You Were To Get A New 6 Ft Finish Mower - What Would You get?

/ If You Were To Get A New 6 Ft Finish Mower - What Would You get? #41  
I had one of these and found it to be a POS. Cheap plastic or no bearings at all, light duty deck, crappy wheels, gear box failed within 5 years. The landpride replacement is built like a tank in comparison, still going 30 years on.

I'd get a rear discharge finishing mower that has 4 run flat wheels you can just drop on the ground and go, greasable everything with zerks that can be accessed without removing safety covers, bearings in the wheels, easy clean fabricated deck (not stamped) that doesn't hoard grass clippings, beefy spindles. Rounded front corners on the deck to slide past trees instead of sharp corners that tear off bark and get caught on rocks and fence posts.
The Woods finishing mower was free and probably the late 80's or early 90's model. That one was built great. As with most things, they don't make them like they used to. Definitely get one with enough wheels to just drop it and go for sure.

/ If You Were To Get A New 6 Ft Finish Mower - What Would You get? #42  
Well, I would not get a damn 4' wide finish mower to mow the acres my family cuts... It works, but it's too small. I can whip around on the 8N with it, and get a pretty good job done on the "lawn" acres in 2 or 3 hours. When I run the same area with the Walker with the 42" deck, it takes way longer, but the trimming is done tight. Of course, the Walker beats me up with no suspension, and a lot of rougher ground.
Going to look at a JD 272 later today. At least that puts me at a 6' cut. It's a stopgap as I'm still working on getting my 6' finish flail going.
It's almost like my father and uncle just wanted to spend as much time as possible cutting grass... I like the grass cut, and I'll be cutting just as much, but the equipment is for sure going to get bigger/faster, and anything I need to do fussy trimming around is going to get simplified somehow... There's way too many other things I would like to be able to do than just cutting grass. (and yes, I love seat time, but I can be in the seat doing other things too.)
Trimming? What’s that?? 🤨 Seriously though, I’m with you, keep trimming to an absolute minimum.

/ If You Were To Get A New 6 Ft Finish Mower - What Would You get? #43  
It also depends on how rough your ground is. Today I mowed the 5 acres with my neighbor's zero turn. Was thinking of getting one, but wanted to try one before I bought one. My "lawn" is more like pasture topography. Not smooth at all. The zero turn beat the snot out of me. I'll take my tractor and the 7' finish mower any day over the zero turn.

My 2¢.
You should have said "over THAT zero turn".

NOT all zero turns "beat the snot out of you".

My front deck Grasshopper rides decent and it's diesel engine is very fuel efficient.

SR

/ If You Were To Get A New 6 Ft Finish Mower - What Would You get? #44  
You should have said "over THAT zero turn".

NOT all zero turns "beat the snot out of you".

My front deck Grasshopper rides decent and it's diesel engine is very fuel efficient.

SR
You should have said “rides decent on my property” 😉

/ If You Were To Get A New 6 Ft Finish Mower - What Would You get? #46  
My property is pretty bumpy. Enough that it affects the speed I can mow with my X758 garden tractor. That's one of the reasons I went with the Bad Boy Rogue zero-turn. It has front and rear suspension that really does smooth things out and make mowing easier and faster. It also has a suspension seat.

/ If You Were To Get A New 6 Ft Finish Mower - What Would You get? #47  
Not only "mine" but everyone's property I've tried it on.

SR
Bring yours over and we'll race! Trade seats for fun part way through. Bring your kidney belt.

/ If You Were To Get A New 6 Ft Finish Mower - What Would You get? #48  
I 'm wondering why if someone owns a tractor their yard is so rough.
Our yard was very rough when we first moved here.
I've spent a lot of time smoothing up our 8 acre lawn with the tractor.
Still has a few slightly rough spots, but night and day smooth compared to what it was.

/ If You Were To Get A New 6 Ft Finish Mower - What Would You get? #49  
Bring yours over and we'll race! Trade seats for fun part way through. Bring your kidney belt.
Better idea, you bring your tractor and mower here, I can supply any kind of terrain that pleases you, to test them both.

How many acres do you want to mow??

SR

/ If You Were To Get A New 6 Ft Finish Mower - What Would You get? #50  
I 'm wondering why if someone owns a tractor their yard is so rough.
Our yard was very rough when we first moved here.
I've spent a lot of time smoothing up our 8 acre lawn with the tractor.
Still has a few slightly rough spots, but night and day smooth compared to what it was.
Well, I can only speak to our place, but the "yard" is old fields, and horse pasture. Has there been time in the last 50 years to manicure it, sure... Then drive across it once when it's wet, and you have new texture to bounce across from the ag lugs.
Don't drive when wet? That isn't really an option as we're the drain for our section of mountain. You can literally hear the water running underground in areas of our place. Doesn't take much for the top to go to mush. We have enough slope that running turf tread isn't an option on any of the tractors. The Gator, and the Walker run on turfs (and slide around), but that's about it.