Robin Suburu engine mount bolts

/ Robin Suburu engine mount bolts #11  
I used a piece of pipe to lengthen the wrench which jammed up against the tub. That worked, but getting the little buggers re-threaded onto the rear bolts is almost impossible. Not sure how I'm going to do that. Taking them off with a wrench was not bad at all once they were loose, but putting them on requires my fingers to hold the nut while I turn the bolts. I just don't bend that way. The left rear under the oil filter just might get left off. I have to wonder how the factory did it.
If you have a small, powerful magnet, place it on the wrench near the end and it should hold the nut in place in the wrench enough to at least get it started.

/ Robin Suburu engine mount bolts
Sounds like it might just work. Thanks.

I finally decided those nuts were NOT going on without something changing. So, I got out my trusty grinder and cut the rung out from between the two lower vents in the rear of the tub. Now I can reach in and simply start the nuts onto the bolts. I really don't think there will be a real loss of structural strength of the tub. Personally, I believe PT could do everyone a favor by cutting a 6" square out of both sides of the tub just behind the rear wheel. A hatch cover with bolts every two inches would keep the structural strength and the hole would allow unfettered access to the oil filter, fuel pump, voltage regulator, and the motor mount nuts. It would need to be cut without the engine in place. Now, everyone tell me I'm full of it. :)

/ Robin Suburu engine mount bolts #15  
@Rick_Taylor No, I don't think you are full of it, but how often do you need it? I remember a story about submarine servicing where the valve was replaced by cutting into the hull, changing the valve, and welding the hull back up. It changed my view of metal. If it is in the way, it can always be cut and rewelded.

@MossRoad, I was thinking of cutting the bolts underneath the belly pan. I always worry about fire.

All the best,

Peter

How often would I need it? Let me see. I have had to replace the fuel pump, the voltage regulator which necessitated lifting the motor, and of course numerous oil changes which require getting to the supremely convenient oil filter. So, I really think the hatches might be slightly handy.

/ Robin Suburu engine mount bolts #17  
How often would I need it? Let me see. I have had to replace the fuel pump, the voltage regulator which necessitated lifting the motor, and of course numerous oil changes which require getting to the supremely convenient oil filter. So, I really think the hatches might be slightly handy.
Hatch it is, then! (y)(y)

All the best,

Peter

/ Robin Suburu engine mount bolts #18  
So, I really think the hatches might be slightly handy.
Every DuraMax pick up I owned has had a hatch put in the right front fender liner so the fuel filter can easily be replaced.

/ Robin Suburu engine mount bolts #20  
0c4a6da7d1a1c4c2cddf662cfe3150ddcfce0d9cdd04ff3ec64e8cd118d623d8_1.webp