Comparison The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten

/ The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten #21  
^^ Ask the farmer when his $100,000 combine is setting in the middle of a half harvested field while he waits for a JD Field Tech to come out with a laptop to reset a code.

I paid about $4,000 less than green and haven't had any major problems, or any problem that I couldn't resolve myself.
$100k combine? Maybe in 1980.

/ The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten #23  
Easy to have $1.25M in a large combine with a corn head and a bean head.

That's absolutely insane; at that price I can understand why I've never seen a new combine in a field around here.

/ The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten #25  
I'm OCD and overthink every purchase. Good side is I can't remember the last time I regretted a purchase. :)
Ha! I can relate to that. Sometimes I drive the wife a bit crazy by over-evaluating purchases.

/ The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten #26  
^^ Ask the farmer when his $100,000 combine is setting in the middle of a half harvested field while he waits for a JD Field Tech to come out with a laptop to reset a code.

I paid about $4,000 less than green and haven't had any major problems, or any problem that I couldn't resolve myself.

I gotta laugh at this. You’re all over the place and making comparisons that make no sense.
You equate a farmer with a “$100,000 combine” with repairing your lawn mowing equipment?
That would be a well used combine -the new ones are $500,000-$750,000. Not all JD equipment requires a laptop to reset codes. The $100,000 model would be very old and probably not require that.

/ The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten #27  
21 years ago I went to a JD dealer and asked about a new machine on their lot that I was interested in purchasing. He basically said "There it is" and walked away. So did I. ;)

Does not say a thing about the quality of the machine. But man, that left a lasting bad impression.
I had the same experience with a GM dealer. I asked the price on an S-10, or whatever they were called in 2001. He walked over to a truck, read the price of the sticker, and walked away. I went down the road to the Ford dealer and bought a truck.

/ The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten #28  
I had the same experience with a GM dealer. I asked the price on an S-10, or whatever they were called in 2001. He walked over to a truck, read the price of the sticker, and walked away. I went down the road to the Ford dealer and bought a truck.

Says a lot more about the dealership than the manufacturer.

/ The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten #29  
I have often bought cheaper stuff and regretted it but have also often been satisfied. I buy stuff all the time and don’t like it but it’s often nickel and dime stuff. Usually if I don’t feel like I can buy high enough quality I do without and/or wait.

I live in an area with some of the best farm ground in the world. I see a lot of JD equipment on this high dollar land. Lots of other colors to, but I agree, in the ag world JD does set the standard. In the homeowner stuff like most of the people on this forum have I’d say it’s JD and Kubota.

/ The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten #30  
$100k combine? Maybe in 1980.
I think my brother inlaws combine may be that vintage or older. Smaller JD that suits the smaller fields in the Skagit valley. It's also one that he can do his own wrenching and repairs on. Keeps it indoors and does goes through it every winter.
He also maintains his "Lemon Orchard " where there are several more of the same vintage to cannibalize for spare parts that are no longer available.