Issues? Yanmar built John Deere 755

/ Issues? Yanmar built John Deere 755 #11  
Wow! Nice job, and congratulations. Stepping into someone else's shop (even if it is your spouse's), and finding what you need to get it done is, I think, impressive. I have wandered around endlessly in other people's shops trying to find items, lost, and not getting their logic for tools or parts.(y)(y)

Thick, gooey, silverish, sludge does give me a little concern. Mainly the silvery stuff, as that sounds like metal particles. As expensive as the other hydraulic filter was, I would be inclined to change it again in about 20 hours, cut it open with a can opener and have a look at what was inside. If it isn't clean, I would let the second one go for another 20 hours and repeat. If 40 hours of work later, you are still getting sludge, I would be very tempted to drain the hydraulic fluid (again), put in enough diesel fluid to make the hydraulic work, run it for five minutes or so and drain the diesel, clean the tank filter, and replace the spin on filter again.

I suspect that the old spin on filter clogged and went into bypass at some point in time, forcing the tank filter to do all the filtration. The tank filter is pretty coarse, so that means a fair amount of particles floating around in the system, even with an oil change. So, it may take awhile for your spin on filter to get the remaining gunk out.

All the best,

Peter

/ Issues? Yanmar built John Deere 755
Finding his tools isn’t hard, He is actually very organized and as you open a drawer you can see everything clearly. It’s just there are so many tool boxes, they take up the entire wall in the garage. What’s not in a toolbox is hanging on a peg board with a paint stencil of the tool that is supposed to be hanging there.
What I don’t know is where the funnels are, or his drain pans? I have seen them being used but they are no place in site.

I was told in my other thread that what I describe sounds like water contamination and I would like to change my description to a milky, grayish/white gooey substance. I think that might be a better description.

If that still points to concern I will head your advice and change the filter even if it means I need to use this tractor for some things that were planned for one of the others. As stated it’s not our only one and really only gets used for cleaning out overgrowth and downed trees out back where it’s size is an advantage. I actually got 90% of that done with the Kioti and used the backhoe to drag things that were in tighter spots out to where I could get to them with the loader and bigger grapple.

For now I am relieved it’s working again and thankfull for all the help and advice I have been given.

Janet

/ Issues? Yanmar built John Deere 755 #13  
Yes, milky sounds a lot better. (And your husband does sound super organized!) And, yes, the whitish gummy mess on the screen filter very much sounds like water contamination to me, too.

Was the actual fluid that you drained out milky?
Or did it perhaps start to drain with some clear water?
Does the dipstick oil now look milky?

If the answers are all no, I would just go and use the tractor and figure that the heat from using it will drive off any residual water.

If the fluid was milky, but now looks clear, I would be inclined to use it, and do the early filter change to check on it.

If you had actual water, or if the new oil now looks milky, I would be inclined to do the drain, fill with diesel, run it, cycle the cylinders, and then drain it while warm routine. Diesel fuel is actually hygroscopic, so it will help absorb any residual water. Refill with new fluid and a new spin on filter, as I believe you can reuse the tank filter if it is clean looking. Any residual diesel will just lower your hydraulic oil viscosity slightly.

Finally, is the machine stored under cover? I.e. where/when could water have managed to drain in to the hydraulic system? Were the caps on top tight?

All the best,

Peter

/ Issues? Yanmar built John Deere 755 #14  
Janet what was the filter number and price?

willy

I don’t know how to clearly define what the fluid looked like as it drained out. I was having a hard time not making a mess and dropping the glass jar I used.
I guess I would have to say it wasn’t milky and drained with an inconsistent color. Hope this makes some sense but as it drained the color changed and after it slowed down it appeared to me that some of that thicker sludge, was coming out with the fluid but didn’t seem to be mixed well with the fluid. I guess you would call it spurts of it intermittently coming out that you could see with the fluid.

The fluid that came out looked only slightly darker than the new fluid as it sat in the pail. I did pour it all into an empty container with a lid after I was done so he can look at it when he comes home.

I will have to look at the numbers on the filter again tomorrow as I just don’t remember them right now. I got the new one at Napa because they are closer than any of the John Deere dealerships. But am wondering if maybe I should have tried the Kioti dealer Hubby says he is fair with his prices. Just didn’t think Kioti while working on a John Deere but now am thinking he might have them being he services other brands also.

Janet

Almost forgot. For the most part it is stored inside the barn but it did have to sit out for an extended timeframe due to a few projects he had that were taking up room inside.

No the dipstick is showing very clear clean oil now. I checked it several times after I was done and drove around a bit to make sure I didn’t have to add anymore.

Janet

Last edited:
   / Issues? Yanmar built John Deere 755 #17  
Almost forgot. For the most part it is stored inside the barn but it did have to sit out for an extended timeframe due to a few projects he had that were taking up room inside.

No the dipstick is showing very clear clean oil now. I checked it several times after I was done and drove around a bit to make sure I didn’t have to add anymore.

Janet
I believe he will be proud of you. Sound like you did a better job of fluid and filter replacement than the previous shop.

Glad you had the manuals too. I was looking over the TM1360 tonight seeing what you had to deal with.

TM1360 John Deere - Yanmar Technical Shop Manual 655 755 855 955.pdf

/ Issues? Yanmar built John Deere 755 #18  

Janet
Having clean oil after all your efforts sounds like great news! I suspect that it bodes well going forward.

I suspect that the breather cap/plugs on top of the hydraulic reservoir sucked in water when it was stored outside. In many tractor designs, water can sit in a groove around the cap and either wick in, or be sucked in as the temperature changes day to day. If the tractor needs to be out again, I would suggest using an old dishpan or feed bowl to keep that section of the tractor dry.

I don’t know how to clearly define what the fluid looked like as it drained out. I was having a hard time not making a mess and dropping the glass jar I used.
I guess I would have to say it wasn’t milky and drained with an inconsistent color. Hope this makes some sense but as it drained the color changed and after it slowed down it appeared to me that some of that thicker sludge, was coming out with the fluid but didn’t seem to be mixed well with the fluid. I guess you would call it spurts of it intermittently coming out that you could see with the fluid.

The fluid that came out looked only slightly darker than the new fluid as it sat in the pail. I did pour it all into an empty container with a lid after I was done so he can look at it when he comes home.

I will have to look at the numbers on the filter again tomorrow as I just don’t remember them right now. I got the new one at Napa because they are closer than any of the John Deere dealerships. But am wondering if maybe I should have tried the Kioti dealer Hubby says he is fair with his prices. Just didn’t think Kioti while working on a John Deere but now am thinking he might have them being he services other brands also.

Janet
Inconsistent color would be consistent with water contamination as well, so that is a very helpful observation. Spurting is heavy sludge getting siphoned through the drain hole, also consistent with water in the fluid, and not the oil not being being changed in eons. I think that the fact that the overall color is similar is a great sign. As in a really great sign.

Tractor filters can be had all over; quality filters can be had in rather fewer places. When you need one ASAP, it is what it is, and a small price to pay for keeping your larger investment going, and you being able to use the tractor for useful chores. I wouldn't sweat it.

All the best,

Peter

Janet what was the filter number and price?

willy
Filter number is 551586 and they wanted all but $60.00 for one

Janet

/ Issues? Yanmar built John Deere 755 #20  
This one was super milkey. I had to use a cloths hanger to clean the Pan. Easier for me being just a gear Trans. no doubt. Had to replace the Screen. Someone put the Ghetto rig on the one in it. Welding and the brass screw is what it looked like replacing the Old screen. It was bent up but was dirty and slimed up also. The very bottom looked like Crisco!!! Whale oil was my guess. Stunk!!! I don't think a powershift would have lasted that long.

Attachments

• Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 265