Issues? Yanmar built John Deere 755

/ Issues? Yanmar built John Deere 755 #1  

paulfun9

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40
It was suggested that I repost this here as I was told my tractor was built by Yanmar for John Deere and I might get a more informed response.
It’s a 755 hydrostatic that we have had for a long time.
The rest of this will be copied from the original post https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/threads/john-deere-won’t-move.452327/

Copied from original post:
As some might already know I am stuck doing all the chores while my husband is away taking care of a sick family member. I don’t want to bother him with problems and issues that arise here on the home front. So I have started posting on some of the sites he frequents to try and attain some help and insight with things I am not that great with.

This morning as I started to get ready fo a day of cleaning up along the tree line with one of our tractors it just didn’t want to cooperate. It’s a John Deere 755 that we have had for many years and is the smallest of them. We use it for cleaning up the tree line out back because it’s able to get in between trees and such that the others simply don’t fit and works great for picking up the fallen branches and rip out excess overgrowth with the grapple.

Anyway this morning I hooked up our dump trailer and parked out back, went to the barn and when I started the tractor it wasn’t working as it normally does. The loader seemed to hesitate and rise in a bouncing manner. Before it even reached a height good to clear as you back out, just quit moving completely. I tried moving it and it started to move then shuddered and stopped.

I guess I am hoping it’s something simple that Can be fixed easy, but just have no clue where to start. My guess is I won’t be able to fix it without help from someone that is better with tools. So I guess what I’m asking is does anyone have a clue what might be possible causes or has it just outlived itself?
Leave it alone? Call the local young lad that is willing to try and fix anything and give some Ideas on what needs done? Use one of the other tractors to push it onto a trailer and haul it to the dealership, and pray they use some Vaseline when they screw me you know where?

If I had at least an idea of what could be wrong it would be an easy choice.

I have received some responses and updated with more information in the original post, such as I have checked all fluid levels, tried simply changing the filters. All electrics work properly and lights on the dashboard come on as they should like the PTO light. I am not sure if the loader and steering went out at the same time but the tractor moved forward and back just a bit before it stopped moving at all and the 3 point will not raise. Simply put nothing hydraulic seems to work.

Currently I have used a come along to lift the loader and pulled it out of the barn in order to get one of our other tractors out to finish the job at hand. In neutral it rolled fine no tires locked or anything like that.

Any help is appreciated
And Thank You in advance
Janet.

/ Issues? Yanmar built John Deere 755 #2  
Janet,
I had seen your post on the other forum, but didn't jump in there. It's been a hectic day on my end too.

Question, When was the last time the hydraulic filter and fluid was changed? A clogged filter seems to be the obvious problem here as the flow of the fluid has stopped working.

John Deere J20C is the fluid to use for both Deere and Yanmar compact tractors. That is Deere Hy-Gard or Yanmar TF500A. There are name brand manufactures meeting the J20C as well, like Shell Rotella HD Premium hydraulic Fluid, TSC Universal Premium hydraulic Fluid and a few others. Never use anything that says JD303 or 'compatible with'

IF things still don't work smoothly, then it's possible internal seals in the hydraulic system have failed. Like the piston seal under the operators seat area.

Bret

/ Issues? Yanmar built John Deere 755
I honestly don’t know what exact fluid has been used or is in it right now other than Shell Rotella 5 gallon pails of hydraulic fluid that are stacked beside it. My husband usually takes care of all the maintenance and the date that was written on the filter was Dec 2021. I am almost positive he did an oil change and hydraulic fluid change all filters and fixed a leaking seal on the front axel then I will look closer at what type oil he has in it today.

He is actually pritty good at making things simple for me and has fluid, filters and miscilanious stuff for each machine stored on shelves right beside each ones parking space. So as I mentioned before I did change the filter with its matching spare.

Thank You
Janet

Needed to edit because I typed the wrong date. It was Dec 2021 written on filter not 2022

Last edited:
   / Issues? Yanmar built John Deere 755 #4  
I will try and pull the strainer out as it was also mentioned in a private message I received.

Any tips before I start ?

Thanks
Janet

/ Issues? Yanmar built John Deere 755 #6  
Probably need to drain fluid first.

Looking fo a good size container for it now. I made a bit of a mess when I changed the filter. Good thing I learned is ashes from the coal fire are real good at absorbing spilled fluids.

Janet

/ Issues? Yanmar built John Deere 755 #8  
Looking fo a good size container for it now. I made a bit of a mess when I changed the filter. Good thing I learned is ashes from the coal fire are real good at absorbing spilled fluids.

Janet
Many of us have used kiddie pools to collect the fluid. A few tend to be placed out to the curb when Fall time arrives.

Yes, the Shell Rotella HD Premium fluid is UTTO J20C specified. It meets Deere's requirements.

I want to first thank everyone for thier patients, understanding and help! It is very much appreciated!

After opening the drain plug on the very rear I barely got any fluid to drain at all, about a pint then just a very slow dribble.
Knowing it takes a lot of fluid as I have watched him just pour from a 5 gallon pail I was shocked and dumbfounded at the same time because the dip stick was still showing it was full.

So I searched the closet and office till I found the paperwork and manuals that came with it. Dummy me should have looked first in his old file cabinet. There it was under the J files along with every other piece of paper from every John Deere he ever owned. My lord I don’t think he ever threw anything away!

Anyway I found there is a second drain plug on the side of the transaxle and once I opened it everything drained fairly quickly. A little messy as I could only find a 5 gallon pail and an old hot baloghny jar so I used what I had and made my sister cover the hole with her finger when the jar was full then dumped it into the pail.

I know now why he has so many tools because that filter for the pick up didn’t. Want to budge after getting the cover off and I cut my finger trying. Searched the toolboxes and found a real nifty little thing that puts outward pressure when you squeeze it that fit right in there and it just pulled out with no problem.

The filter was covered in a thick gooey silverish sludge and something told me the filter change was due in Dec. 2021 not just done.
So I headed into town and purchased an other filter after using the parts washer on this one, figured I best replace the other one again. Holy S that filter costs more by itself then one can imagine! Is there a cheaper source?

Anyway back to the tractor replaced the filter again, installed the pick up screen as it’s been referred to after blowing it dry from the inside out with the low pressure air line he has. If I read the gauge correctly it was set at 20 psi so I hope that didn’t hurt anything. I was worried that the stuff from the parts washer would contaminate the hydraulic fluid.

After tightening everything back up and cursing like a sailor as I balanced myself on a chair trying to pour 4.75 gallons of hydraulic fluid into a poorly fitting funnel without spilling it all over the place. I let it sit for a while for the fluid to settle, then topped it off to replace what ended up on the floor.

Once it was full, I crossed my fingers, started it up and held my breath as I pulled on the joystick and Holy Cow it raised the loader, it all worked and once I realized I had put the hi low selector in neutral to pull it out of the barn and stuck it back into gear it started moving as it’s supposed to.

So again Thanks to everyone who helped!
Janet

/ Issues? Yanmar built John Deere 755 #10  
Thanks for the report!

Somebody sooner or later will research the same problem and your post will guide them through resolving it.

Last edited: