Generac Running, But No Power in House

/ Generac Running, But No Power in House #1  

drssg

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5700, BX2350
We recently had a short power outage for about ten minutes. Our Generac whole house generator kicked on, but we still had no power in the house.

I removed the cover from the transfer switch, and there is a manual switch that requires a tool (which is provided) to manually switch the house load between the utility and the generator. This switch was in the "up" position, which I believe means the house is still trying to get power from the utility.

I was inclined to manually flip the switch to provide power to the house, but I wasn't sure if there were other steps that I should take. I don't want to damage anything or injure a lineman.

I plan to have it checked by a professional next week, but in the meantime, is it safe to just manually operate that switch, if needed?

/ Generac Running, But No Power in House
I have a manual for the generator and a separate one for the transfer switch, but I don't really understand it. Here is a page that seems most relevant to me, but I'm not sure if it directly applies to my situation.
IMG_1156.JPG

I vaguely recall the installer telling me that I could just manually flip this switch, if it failed to automatically switch over, but that was years ago.

The "Manual Operation" section above is more complicated, but it kind of sounds like it applies to the initial installation checks.

The following section looks to me like I can just flip the switch, but I'm not sure.
IMG_1157.JPG

/ Generac Running, But No Power in House #5  
Best thing to do is turn off the breaker inside thr generator, then manually flip the yellow handle inserted inside the transfer switch, then REMOVE HANDLE. then turn generator breaker back on.
while your at it, check both transfer coils and make sure one of the 4 wires hasnt slipped off.

i find lots of switches that have issues simply because a wire fell off. If one wire is off, gently squeeze wire connector to tighten its grip and replace wire.
PLEASE NOTE: IF a wire has fallen off of one of the coils, and power is still off, turn off generator breaker, tighten and reattach wire , then turn generator breaker back on. The transfer swirch should flip over on its own without installing manual handle. NEVER LEAVE METAL MANUAL HANDLE INSTALLED IN MECHANISM as it will bind to cabinet facing and destroy transfer mechanism when power is restored.

that mechanism points up on utility power, and down when on generator power

/ Generac Running, But No Power in House #6  
Utility Loss >> Sense >> Gen Start >> Transfer.

Utility Restore >> Sense >> Transfer >> Gen Shutdown.

Since the generator started, it sensed the utility loss. Failure to transfer ... bad coil? Loose wire to coil as suggested?

GRS ... if the MLCB in the generator is switched OFF, will the coils still transfer automatically? I should know that, but it isn't coming to me at the moment.

OP, has it transferred normally in the past?

/ Generac Running, But No Power in House #7  
If the generator breaker is off, it will not transfer when utility power is lost. It needs power from gen to power coils.

/ Generac Running, But No Power in House #8  
I have had the same issue lately with mine. The outage goes on and off and on and off. The generator recognizes the outage and starts but the transfer switch is confused. Manually throw the transfer switch to the down position and everything will be fine. Sometimes the disconnect is not smooth and neither is the start up. DM me if I can be some help.

/ Generac Running, But No Power in House #9  
if you have alot of on off events, the newer generac units can be programmed to wait longer, up to 5 minutes, before they start up and transfer power. this prevents alot of false starts.

Best thing to do is turn off the breaker inside thr generator, then manually flip the yellow handle inserted inside the transfer switch, then REMOVE HANDLE. then turn generator breaker back on.
while your at it, check both transfer coils and make sure one of the 4 wires hasnt slipped off.

i find lots of switches that have issues simply because a wire fell off. If one wire is off, gently squeeze wire connector to tighten its grip and replace wire.
PLEASE NOTE: IF a wire has fallen off of one of the coils, and power is still off, turn off generator breaker, tighten and reattach wire , then turn generator breaker back on. The transfer swirch should flip over on its own without installing manual handle. NEVER LEAVE METAL MANUAL HANDLE INSTALLED IN MECHANISM as it will bind to cabinet facing and destroy transfer mechanism when power is restored.

that mechanism points up on utility power, and down when on generator power
Thank you for the advice, and I can follow that procedure if this happens again during another power outage.

I'm don't know how to access the transfer coils to check the wiring, but that's outside of my comfort zone. I'll get someone who (hopefully) knows what he's doing to check it out.

FWIW, I have a second electric meter and transfer switch in my barn. I didn't check that switch, but I also didn't have power in the barn during the outage. We also had a lightning storm recently that didn't hit our house, but it still managed to destroy several electronic devices, including a laptop computer, two ethernet switches, and a network camera. My wife happened to be in the basement at the time (which is where the laptop was located), and she said it sounded like a loud metallic snap. The laptop was noticeably hot and showed no signs of life. I don't know whether this could have also destroyed something related to the transfer switches.