cannot remove PTO SHAFT FROM TRACTOR — RESOLVED!!!

/ cannot remove PTO SHAFT FROM TRACTOR — RESOLVED!!! #1  

S854

Silver Member
Tractor
‘67 MF 135 Deluxe / ‘22 Kioti CK2610 HST/Bad Boy ZT Elite 54”
I put my Danuser F8 on my MF135 about a month ago… everything went as smooth as can be expected attaching a PHD during the attaching phase… Poked several holes in the ground with no issues…

Now I’m trying to get the thing off… unfortunately the PTO shaft is stuck on the PTO drive… the spring-loaded release collar moves forward easy enough…it feels normal… the spline on the PTO shaft moves about an eighth of an inch in relation to the splined drive (with the collar released)… so I don’t think the issue is with the splines themselves…

I’ve tried:
Seafoam DeepCreep in the release collar, also, sprayed in at both ends Of the splines…
A crowbar to pry the splines apart
Engaging the PTO (engine off) and tapping the U-joint back and forth rotation wise
come-along attached to the splines to pull it away from the tractor
Heated the splines (gently) with a torch
Extending and compressing the shaft (lifted the auger and moved it forward and aft)
Crowbar prying while rotating the shaft by hand and tapping the U-joint with a hammer

…and probably a few things I have forgotten…

it feels as though there’s a “mechanical” interference keeping it in place… like one of the ball bearings under the release collar isn’t retracting…

Anyone else experience this kind of thing? …and how was it solved?

/ cannot remove PTO SHAFT FROM TRACTOR — RESOLVED!!! #2  
Try move the collar backwards. Some collars you have to push forward to release, others you have to pull back to release.

/ cannot remove PTO SHAFT FROM TRACTOR — RESOLVED!!! #3  
Sometimes it just takes time to get it just right, but it should come off.

Raise the phd so that the shaft is parallel to the ground (as little angle as possible) and then try to remove it.

Make sure the pto is in neutral - that sometimes helps.

Is your pro shaft in two sections? If it is, unhook the phd and pull forward with the tractor very slowly to separate the sections of the shaft. You will end up with the piece attached to the pto still hanging - should be much easier to then detach.

If none of that works, walk away from it until tomorrow and try it again.

/ cannot remove PTO SHAFT FROM TRACTOR — RESOLVED!!! #5  
Perhaps you're turning your release collar the wrong way. I have to turn mine to the right to get the balls to release which to me is counterintuitive.

/ cannot remove PTO SHAFT FROM TRACTOR — RESOLVED!!! #6  
I pull back on the collar to release the PTO shaft from the tractor. Then pull back on the PTO shaft. When attaching - pull back on the collar - push the PTO shaft forward.

/ cannot remove PTO SHAFT FROM TRACTOR — RESOLVED!!! #7  
As has been suggested above.

That being said, I always 'lanolin' spray both the PTO and the PTO shaft prior to attachment. Just something to remember.

Under this circumstance, perhaps you could ensure that the the implement is raised as horizontal as possible to ensure a 'straight' extraction.

Best of 'luck' and please let us know how you make out.

/ cannot remove PTO SHAFT FROM TRACTOR — RESOLVED!!! #8  
I bought a used winch. I could not remove the shaft from the winch to cut it to fit my tractor. Ended up having to disassemble the U-joint and use a hub puller to get it off. What I found was the the splines around the locking groove on the winch shaft were mushroomed which I was able to fix with some careful filing. The clearances are very small. I could feel it but it was a struggle to see it. I think ?? the shaft was too long for the previous owner and the locking pin got forced or pounded against the ends of the splines to mushroom them.

gg

Last edited:
   / cannot remove PTO SHAFT FROM TRACTOR — RESOLVED!!!

I pull back on the collar to release the PTO shaft from the tractor. Then pull back on the PTO shaft. When attaching - pull back on the collar - push the PTO shaft forward.
I followed Jeff’s link and found the owners manual for the Danuser buried in one thread…

what oosik so eloquently stated is exactly what the manual says to do… I’m so embarrassed…

6804A6D8-9280-4C2F-8A0F-789DB9D93DAE.jpeg

I haven’t been outside yet today, but I’m guessing this is gonna solve my issue…

/ cannot remove PTO SHAFT FROM TRACTOR — RESOLVED!!! #10  
Nothing to be embarrassed about.

I guaranty you that, if it disconnects flawlessly, say, the next four times, on the fifth time, it won't, and you'll go nuts trying to figure out what the heck you're doing wrong this time.....and then it will magically release.

Been there, done that on many different issues.