Guy uses fake check to steal Massey tractor...recognize him?

/ Guy uses fake check to steal Massey tractor...recognize him? #51  
It isn't. But read up on Civil Asset Forfeiture and how many departments essentially fund their entire annual budget by mis-applying it.

Civil Asset Forfeiture applies to much more than just cash (e.g., cars, truck, boats, homes, land, buildings, etc.). If you worry about it, then you should also worry about losing more than just cash.

/ Guy uses fake check to steal Massey tractor...recognize him? #52  
There used to be a police car around here with a sign on it saying it had been confiscated from a drug dealer.

/ Guy uses fake check to steal Massey tractor...recognize him? #53  
This entire issue makes me want to photo the VIN of the vehicle picking up anything I sell. Ya, it could be stolen too, but fake ID's are easy to get, at least according to a news show I saw a couple of years ago.

/ Guy uses fake check to steal Massey tractor...recognize him? #54  
I think you mean "You and I both!" ;)

Torvy's original sentence was "Sorry, the teacher in me cannot let it go sometimes." Your reply was to agree, saying "You and me both [cannot let it go]," where "cannot let it go" was unnecessary to convey your meaning, thus was correctly omitted as an ellipsis in order to avoid repetition.

The test for whether to use "me" or "I" in your reply is to remove the "You," then see if the sentence still make sense. We would not ordinarily say "Me cannot let it go." Unless, perhaps, we were quoting Tonto from the old Lone Ranger series.

(Ducking now!) 🤠
Yes, I was being very facetious..... I normally use "xxxx and I ". I cannot even stand it when someone says "me and xxxxx" did whatever.

/ Guy uses fake check to steal Massey tractor...recognize him? #55  
I don't think it's a crime to pay with cash. I think it's then just a he said she said as to whether an item is paid for when using cash. If you write them a check then you have proof they were paid.
I guess what I was saying was I wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of having to try to explain my whole story about going to purchase equipment, vehicle, etc and take a chance on the police confiscating my legit money, plus I don't really cotton to the idea of having to divulge all my legitimate business dealings.

/ Guy uses fake check to steal Massey tractor...recognize him? #56  
My wife works at a tractor dealership. A few years ago, a guy came in and bought a new zero turn mower. A few days later they discovered his check was bad. The mower was about $5000.

After a few phone calls, the mower was located at a pawn shop about 30 miles away. The boss called the pawn shop and said "I'm coming get my stolen mower". The pawn shop said "it will cost you $3000".

Turns out the pawn shop was right. The thief showed the pawn shop a receipt for the purchase of the mower. The mower dealership is responsible for making sure the check is legitimate. The pawn shop had covered his a$$ and did not loose any money on this theft.

/ Guy uses fake check to steal Massey tractor...recognize him? #57  
It isn't. But read up on Civil Asset Forfeiture and how many departments essentially fund their entire annual budget by mis-applying it.
Plenty of cases where police see the cash and then bring in a drug sniffing dog and surprise, surprise, surprise...NOT...the dog detects drugs on the money and they take it.
There is an abominable amount of cash in circulation that has drug residue on it that is passed around day in and day out.
Then of course there is the chance of counterfeit money also. You take that bag of cash to bank and they find counterfeit bills mixed in it and you are in deep sh**.

/ Guy uses fake check to steal Massey tractor...recognize him? #58  
I purchased a tractor 5 hrs away in another state 2 months ago. Private party sale. No way was I going to tell a total stranger that I was arriving with $14,600 in cash. He was willing to take cashiers check so that's what I did. I use a small local bank so doing the withdrawal at another branch was a no go. Plus I met him on a Saturday afternoon.
Sure wish PayPal would allow large money transfers like that.
I like the suggestion of having a pho t o of the check ahead of time in order to confirm.

/ Guy uses fake check to steal Massey tractor...recognize him? #59  
I purchased a tractor 5 hrs away in another state 2 months ago. Private party sale. No way was I going to tell a total stranger that I was arriving with $14,600 in cash. He was willing to take cashiers check so that's what I did. I use a small local bank so doing the withdrawal at another branch was a no go. Plus I met him on a Saturday afternoon.
Sure wish PayPal would allow large money transfers like that.
I like the suggestion of having a pho t o of the check ahead of time in order to confirm.
Most of the hot check schemes are repeated situations and all they do is go Bankrupt and then the
The government will send you a notice not to contact or harass them for recovery.
5 years ago .lost 80 th. on this method after this heard he again used it to get 25th. . no need to notify an entitled gov, they know.
ken

/ Guy uses fake check to steal Massey tractor...recognize him? #60  
We have bought cars with a personal check before. I talking brand new cars or trucks from dealership. I’ve asked them how do they allow that. They photo copy our ID’s and run a credit check. They can usually tell by the credit check if we’re good, a long extensive history.

Did they run a credit check on this guy? Was the fake ID of a real person with a good credit history?