New inexpensive trimode welder

/ New inexpensive trimode welder #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
I previously had an Everlast stick/? that I was very happy with, never got beyond stick.
Farm sold, only need light duty but would like flexibility.
With a 400 dollar budget, what else should I be looking at?
No aluminum. Want something easier and less skill demanding than rods. Which I barely mastered.
Ready for new machine and different way of welding steel.

may I assume I want something with a spool of wire inside?

Is there an Everlast equivalent to this:

I remember buying welding rods these folks made
thanks Drew

/ New inexpensive trimode welder #2  
I’ve heard great things about Prime weld !

Attachments

• 58756EA4-AEC5-4F10-BA29-B24818F0E5BB.png
    58756EA4-AEC5-4F10-BA29-B24818F0E5BB.png
    535.8 KB · Views: 192
   / New inexpensive trimode welder
thanks, that's a different trimode...didn't realize plasma cutters were this inexpensive.
Now which made in USA welder should I buy for 400 bucks?....................

/ New inexpensive trimode welder #4  
Made in USA would be nice but I don't think for $400 you'll get closer than 'Sold in USA by a US company'.

Note that Forney's manual says:
120VAC, 20A outlet,
30A breaker recommended

I think any small welder should be dual voltage, 120/240. A 120v welder on ordinary household outlet will only do about 90 real amps output. Not quite enough for many common projects.

My $149 Amico turned up to about 2/3 on the volts and current dials, trips a 20 amp breaker after a minute or so plugged into 120. On a 240 outlet it burns far hotter, even though it is advertised as 130 amp output using either 120 or 240.

(If you decide to go for one of the really cheap welders on Amazon then be sure to add the $29 third-party 3 year warranty!)

I like the handle on that Forney. That's convenient for a hand-carry welder, to wrap the cables around.

thanks California, I had a special 30amp 240 line put in my barn for my last welder.
Now I have a 15amp plug in an old garage. Weak.
Simplest thing to do is fire up the generator, needs the exercise anyway, and think I have about 45 amps at 240 there.
Gen is right near where I would weld out in the driveway anyway.

If I don't want to weld aluminum, which of the IGs do I want? Something simple and easy to us, preferably without gasses.

/ New inexpensive trimode welder #6  
Defiantly not USA made and a bit over your $400 limit;
MIG 170 Welder with 120/240 Volt Input

TITANIUM

MIG 170™ Professional Welder with 120/240V Input​

The TITANIUM MIG 170™ Professional Welder is a versatile MIG/Flux-core welder that works with or without shielding gas

$569.99

And the triple + your budget a multi purpose 120/240 unit;
1655901825869.png

/ New inexpensive trimode welder #7  
Seriously doubt you are going to find anything in class of welder sufficient for your needs made in USA that will be for $400 or less....

If you only need to do hobby welding and using steel then why not a MIG only.... Have a Hobart Handler 140 and love the machine.... Does everything I need to do up to 1/4 inch materials.... But it's suggested retail price today is $599....

/ New inexpensive trimode welder #9  
for a little over 2x your budget Lincoln power mig 140 MIG/Stick/fluxcore 120 only but easier to carry around and cheaper than Hobart 210MVP (MIG/Fluxcore) or everlast powertig 255 (TIG/STICK). The Hobart is nice, but MIG/Fluxcore only, step controls for wire speed/heat, & definitely works better on 240 than 120 unless you are only doing thin stuff. The Lincoln gets the job done on lighter stuff, infinite controls, is easier to transport & since you have Stick experience, you can fall back on that as needed when thicker jobs come along using 1/16th sticks & multi-pass. The Everlast is a great machine, but over 5x your budget & unless you are doing SS or Aluminum probably not needed -- pure argon for TIG. I also love my StickMate, but that is 240 only & Stick.

/ New inexpensive trimode welder #10  
I doubt that you really want to run a generator just to weld at home. Maybe today's welders do better on 110v, IDK, but when I was shopping some years ago, 220v was apparently way better back then.

Has welder technology gotten better to the point that 110v 15a is really enough for say 3/16 material without a limited duty cycle kicking in? I had a cheapo 110v welder years ago. Got tired of being able to weld for so little time and went to a Hobart 187 on 220v. Never an issue since.