New inexpensive trimode welder

/ New inexpensive trimode welder #12  
I have used my Hobart Handler 100 to do 1/4" successfully ( and this is there bottom of the line wire unit). I am sure their multiprocess (a few models higher) would work well.
I keep looking for a used multiprocess, seems to be rare around here.

/ New inexpensive trimode welder #13  
The only drawback to high end 120 Volt AC MIG welders (140 amp +/-) is the most will require a 30 Amp circuit no matter what the welder manual tells you....

/ New inexpensive trimode welder #14  
Two more options: One trimode Non-US Everlast outside budget, but looks really nice. And budget Everlast MIG/Fluxcore only.

1655914485422.png

1655914402443.png

/ New inexpensive trimode welder #15  
I previously had an Everlast stick/? that I was very happy with, never got beyond stick.
Farm sold, only need light duty but would like flexibility.
With a 400 dollar budget, what else should I be looking at?
No aluminum. Want something easier and less skill demanding than rods. Which I barely mastered.
Ready for new machine and different way of welding steel.

may I assume I want something with a spool of wire inside?

Is there an Everlast equivalent to this:

I remember buying welding rods these folks made
thanks Drew
In a prior life I used to stick weld a lot. A couple years back my girl friend asked me to patch a well expansion tank that had sprung a leak. She had one of the little 110v mig welders that you're looking at. I couldn't do it. It was embarrassing. I kept sticking wire and ended up with something that looked like a hedgehog was hiding in the tank. Your results may be varied.

/ New inexpensive trimode welder
I doubt that you really want to run a generator just to weld at home. Maybe today's welders do better on 110v, IDK, but when I was shopping some years ago, 220v was apparently way better back then.

Has welder technology gotten better to the point that 110v 15a is really enough for say 3/16 material without a limited duty cycle kicking in? I had a cheapo 110v welder years ago. Got tired of being able to weld for so little time and went to a Hobart 187 on 220v. Never an issue since.
Thanks, the gen has a big rv 50 amp 240V output, plus another 240V 30 amp circuit. I can use either

I kept sticking wire and ended up with something that looked like a hedgehog was hiding in the tank.

I can sure appreciate that, visually too.

I remember posting my first stick weld pics here about six years ago.
Discovered I was better at grinding than welding.
And I see all these videos I guess of MIG welding where it looks so easy.
I doubt it is, same issues of pool, depth, etc?
first you need a good helmet, that I learned. But if it doesn't have 15 selectable grinding settings that's fine too...
gosh I had all this equipment and it all got sold. Now to start over from scratch. Some of that silly stuff I bought I never used.
I had more welding magnets. Plus you get them as gifts, and some of those strange clamps I never ever used.
Apron, gloves, helmet, a spool of wire with the welder, maybe a rolling stand. Had one of those before, very handy.
And of course a good Bosch hand grinder with a big stack of flap disks

Welding sticks seem to get stale or get moisture in them, like old fireworks. May I assume MIG doesn't do that?
That would be an advantage.

You really should talk to Mark@Everlast.
I certainly was happy with my Everlast welder, and I think I talked to Mark back then.
I sure don't owe Amazon any more business. But they sell Everlast also.

some of these Chinese units seem built to high specs, like the one Lou showed.

I'm curious. How much does one have to spend to buy a Mig welder built in the US? What is the entry price point?

My dream tractor, a Massey 4707 was built in China. My Volvo is owned by the Zhejiang Geely Holding Group.
Pretty hard to distance yourself from China, even if you could.

but maybe one last time, I send my money to an American company.
I'm sure their sales dept will appreciate that sentiment.

I should google least expensive US made welder.
wondering if it's a tombstone buzzbox whose patent expired 50 years ago.

/ New inexpensive trimode welder #20  
Apron, gloves, helmet, a spool of wire with the welder, maybe a rolling stand. Had one of those before, very handy.
And of course a good Bosch hand grinder with a big stack of flap disks

Welding sticks seem to get stale or get moisture in them May I assume MIG doesn't do that?
Comments from a cheapskate amateur, I recognize you are looking for quality and willing to pay for it:

I bought one of the cheapest dual-voltage flux welders on Amazon. $149 + $30 for a 3 year third-party warranty. Amico 130A. 18 lbs. Its small, I don't need a rolling cabinet for it, I store it in a drawer of an old legal-size filing cabinet. It welds great. Something like this plus maybe a higher-amperage stick welder, also cheap, might meet all your needs for occasional DIY projects.

You have been discussing pro-quality gear but aside from pride of ownership I think there are a lot of less expensive options that will do the same work. Search Amazon (because of the third-party warranties offered alongside everything). You might meet your goals and actually stay within that $400 budget.

Now if you need pro or production-quality gear - that's another world, talk to a real welding store that will have continued support for their expensive welders.

As for mig wire going stale - I keep 4" spools in an ammo can with desiccant pouches. Don't weld enough to need 10 lb spools and they would likely rust in our winter ocean-fog air.