New inexpensive trimode welder

/ New inexpensive trimode welder
As a relevant aside, under what conditions would I need a stick welder?
Burning through the paint on my trailer so I could get to metal, instead of properly preparing the surface? which I know how to do.
Burning extra thick material which I likely won't be using or be able to pick up?

Can I ditch stick?

Some rods were finicky, discussions on what rods to use were some of my favorite discussions on this site.
Not that I remember much of it...so likely a good idea I start over as MIG newbie.
But if it costs 1500 bucks to get into the US game, well I'm sorry. Not going to happen.

well now this looks interesting if I really can ditch stick:

says made in USA, 550 entry point. Not bad. Costs twice as much as imported because we pay our people better. I'm ok with that.
lots of 300 dollar alternatives on Amazon, keeping in mind California's good experience. I've bought lots of HF stuff too, not usually what I would ever consider "good tools".
But if I need three different phillips head screwdrivers, they all don't have to be the good stuff. My favorite tool, the most used one, now I just might spend little more on that.

I owned a Radio Shack for five years. Pretty familiar with basic electronics. Welders are not rocket science.
If I can get an inexpensive, relatively, MIG welder from a major US brand, that's going to be my first choice.
US service center. I'm told Miller, Hobart and one other make a lot of their equipment here.
I think my needs are best served by one of the major name rebranded but supported imports.

But yes I will look at Everlast also.

My budget is 500 but I need to save room for helmet, gloves, etc. I had a nice welding stand before, HF, worked fine.

/ New inexpensive trimode welder #22  
"The MIG180 comes with upgraded Tweco 100 Style torch Made in the USA..."

Interesting that it says it also comes with an aluminum spool gun in addition to the regular torch.

I have the primeweld Cut50 plasma cutter and it seems solid to me so far. It was very well packed for shipping.

/ New inexpensive trimode welder #23  
Defiantly not USA made and a bit over your $400 limit;
MIG 170 Welder with 120/240 Volt Input

TITANIUM

MIG 170™ Professional Welder with 120/240V Input​

The TITANIUM MIG 170™ Professional Welder is a versatile MIG/Flux-core welder that works with or without shielding gas

$569.99

And the triple + your budget a multi purpose 120/240 unit;
View attachment 751085
The HF unit lacks the beans for me, I do spray transfer MIG 95 % of the time which requires a minimum off 200 amps at the torch.

I also have a Hobart 190 MIG and it's a nice machine. Had it at least 10 years and ran miles of wire through it with 0 issues. Wide open it's borderline spray transfer but it will do it. Nice thing about the Hobart is the consumables (tips and shields) are available at any Tractor Supply. I use INE wire in it in 10 pound spools.

400 bucks won't get you much welder today and it will be offshore made.

/ New inexpensive trimode welder #24  
Burning through the paint on my trailer so I could get to metal, instead of properly preparing the surface? which I know how to do.
Burning extra thick material which I likely won't be using or be able to pick up?

Can I ditch stick?

What do you want to use the welder for? Fab work or sheet metal repairs (body panel patches)? Inside? using new steel or pieces you can easily clean up? MIG should be all you need & you'll have less spatter & no slag (but you'll want 023 wire tips & sleeve for sheet metal). Fab work or thicker repairs (need more penetration) Outside in wind? Fluxcore or Stick unless you can rig a wind shield to keep the gas where you want it -- spatter & slag will need cleaning & you'll need to change the polarity if changing to fluxcore. Repairing dirty/oily/rusty equipment outside in wind while under the vehicle in mud? Stick & I'll deal with the slag when I get it back indoors and change into dry clothes. Up to you, but I like having the "right" tool for the specific job I'm attempting. PS If you need 6010 for a specific job like gap filling, make sure the inverter machine will handle it. A lot of the cheap inverter machines won't. Finally ... did you like stick welding? I actually prefer it to MIG unless the feed rate and power are dialed in perfect. I can see the puddle with stick better as well. YMMV

Some rods were finicky,
Cheap rod oven will keep your 7018's in good enough shape & dessicant/sealed containers for the rest unless they need to be "refreshed".

Cheapest Amazon I could find with a quick search.

www.amazon.com/Electrode-Ovens-110-Analog-Thermostat/dp/B01HVP80LW/ref=psdc_13400511_t2_B086WLFLNB

Electrode Ovens, 10 lb, 110 V, Analog Thermostat​

Brand: BEST WELDS
4.7 out of 5 stars 26 ratings

-5% $74.52$74.52
Was: $78.30$78.30

See more product details
and

www.amazon.com/Forney-93097-Storage-Container-8-Inch/dp/B000NPGQ4Q/ref=psdc_13400511_t2_B01HVP80LW

Forney 93097 Rod Storage Container, 14-3/8-Inch, Red​

Visit the Forney Store
4.8 out of 5 stars 343 ratings

Amazon'sChoicein Arc Welding Rods by Forney

-19% $13.99$13.99
List Price: $17.20$17.20

One-Day

& FREE Returns
Made of high impact polypropylene plastic
  • 14 3/8-Inch overall length
  • Includes four internal compartments to separate rod
  • Screw type cap with rubber o ring provide clean, dry, air-tight storage for electrodes
  • Store up to 10 pounds

/ New inexpensive trimode welder #26  

Can I ditch stick?

Some rods were finicky, discussions on what rods to use were some of my favorite discussions on this site.
Not that I remember much of it...so likely a good idea I start over as MIG newbie.
But if it costs 1500 bucks to get into the US game, well I'm sorry. Not going to happen.

well now this looks interesting if I really can ditch stick:

says made in USA, 550 entry point. Not bad. Costs twice as much as imported because we pay our people better. I'm ok with that.
lots of 300 dollar alternatives on Amazon, keeping in mind California's good experience. I've bought lots of HF stuff too, not usually what I would ever consider "good tools".
But if I need three different phillips head screwdrivers, they all don't have to be the good stuff. My favorite tool, the most used one, now I just might spend little more on that.

I owned a Radio Shack for five years. Pretty familiar with basic electronics. Welders are not rocket science.
If I can get an inexpensive, relatively, MIG welder from a major US brand, that's going to be my first choice.
US service center. I'm told Miller, Hobart and one other make a lot of their equipment here.
I think my needs are best served by one of the major name rebranded but supported imports.

But yes I will look at Everlast also.

My budget is 500 but I need to save room for helmet, gloves, etc. I had a nice welding stand before, HF, worked fine.
This is the unit I'm going to order. Seems to be rated really high and the Spool gun would be nice .

/ New inexpensive trimode welder #27  
Good luck. Let us know how it works for you.

/ New inexpensive trimode welder #28  
As I recall, my Hobart 187 mig welder was around $600ish years ago, and the spool gun for it was going to be another $200? I didn't buy the spool gun because I rarely weld aluminum.

Being able to get a 180 mig with this many positive reviews for $550 today including a spool gun looks like a pretty solid deal.

/ New inexpensive trimode welder #29  
From experience, the only 'spool gun' worth any beans is a 'push-pull' spool gun and I don't believe the included one is that. I don't have one. If I need to weld aluminum, I use my TIG and appropriate filler rod.

/ New inexpensive trimode welder #30  
Yes there is. It's a new unit called the PowerMTS 141Si. But it has HF start capability and a foot pedal option. More advanced and better warranty. Built-in gas solenoid for TIG. Even Separate gas inlets for mig and tig. In stock. Give me a call. https://www.everlastgenerators.com/product/mig/powermts-141si

Attachments

• 141Si BUNDLE.png
    141Si BUNDLE.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 84
  • 141Si - Panel.png
    141Si - Panel.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 72
Last edited: