Some one wanted to know if we'd buy an EV tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Some one wanted to know if we'd buy an EV tractor #42  
Corporatism, as we no longer have capitalism, is absolutely bending us over; our 'betters' in government and the 'private' sector basically work in concert to dictate our lives. It's not the market shoving electric vehicles down out throats, it's policy makers and the ultrarich. Nor is any of this being done for our benefit.

It's vomitous.

/ Some one wanted to know if we'd buy an EV tractor #43  
Some people lack the necessary understanding of power engineering. A fellow who claimed to be my friend proposed to me his plan to have a long-haul semi-tractor that would be electrically powered. A lawnmower-sized engine would run the generator that would charge a bank of lead-acid batteries. I think he wanted me to put up the money for the thing. I told him, "Give me a written plan and I'll look at it." Have not seen him since.

That guy had a CDL and surely knew the power rating of the diesel engine on a big rig. Maybe all he wanted was my money. "Sheesh!"

Politicians suggesting ideas like that are either crooks or idiots. Or both. The bad guys from Atlas Shrugged come to mind.

/ Some one wanted to know if we'd buy an EV tractor #44  
Some people lack the necessary understanding of power engineering. A fellow who claimed to be my friend proposed to me his plan to have a long-haul semi-tractor that would be electrically powered. A lawnmower-sized engine would run the generator that would charge a bank of lead-acid batteries. I think he wanted me to put up the money for the thing. I told him, "Give me a written plan and I'll look at it." Have not seen him since.

That guy had a CDL and surely knew the power rating of the diesel engine on a big rig. Maybe all he wanted was my money. "Sheesh!"

Politicians suggesting ideas like that are either crooks or idiots. Or both. The bad guys from Atlas Shrugged come to mind.

Corruption on a generational scale; the upper crust of society- politicians, media figures, business leaders, they're all intertwined through the generations through birth and marriage. It's weird and metaphorically, if not literally, incestuous. The west sold it's collective soul in the post-WWII era, and her grandchildren have spent the past 20 years bricking down the accelerator to hell.

/ Some one wanted to know if we'd buy an EV tractor #45  
First off, I'm an engine guy and I'm not looking forward to this EV age. but I know it's here whether we like it or not. I get a chuckle from the people with their very first comment, there's no grid to support it, unless you're living in a house with no electric, there is a grid. If there's any extra stress to the grid, it's because of the number of people is growing. I'd be willing to bet that with the first gas powered vehicles appeared on the streets, people were singing the same song, there's no grid to support these new fangled gas cars, where are we going to get gas. Yet, look where we are now! Change can be good, when was the last time you seen someone walk into a Home Depot and purchase a corded hand drill?
"I know it's here whether we like it or not." Therein lies the problem.
No, people were not "singing the same song" when gas-powered cars were becoming popular. Entrepreneurs expanded the gas-station infrastructure gradually and voluntarily in pursuit of profit, based on consumer demand. It was not necessary for the government to outlaw horses for transportation; consumers chose cars because they saw value in them. It all evolved naturally on the market without mandates, tax credits or fines. Same with the switch to cordless power tools. But today with EVs, bossy loudmouths think they have to force them on us because we're too stupid to know that they're good for us.
"If there's any extra stress to the grid, it's because of the number of people is growing." That is just not true. A few days ago, Rep. Thomas Massie asked Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg how much a family would have to spend to charge their electric cars compared to air-conditioning their house. As if to confirm the suspicion that these clowns have not thought this through at all, Buttigieg – the transportation secretary, for crying out loud – said he did not know. Massie, an engineer, then told him that the household would require four times as much electricity to charge their cars as to run the AC. So no, the stress won't be just because there are more households. Each household will be using massively more power. The generating capacity is not there, and might never be if the green nutcases succeed in shutting down conventional powerplants.
Yes, change can be good – when it arises spontaneously on the market. But this top-down insanity, if allowed to proceed, will bring widespread misery. Politicians always make things worse. Always.

Last edited:
   / Some one wanted to know if we'd buy an EV tractor #46  
I would guess that most of these smaller tractors are run for only a coupe hours at a time and not at WOT. I know I may have days where I mow for 4 hours, but mostly I move a bale or two and park it. There is plenty of time to recharge even on a 15 A circuit.

It's not all or nothing. For possibly most of us, the benefits of reduced maintainance and increased reliability will outweight the shorter run time.
You make an interesting point. I'd say a large percentage of TBN'ers fit the user profile you refer to, and there are advantages to an E-tractor in those situations. No farting around getting it started in cold weather to plow a driveway or letting it warm up for 20 min. to do a 10 minute project. Since you'd need multiple motors in it (drive, PTO and hydraulic pump) it would make things easier for tasks like tilling where sometimes 1st gear, low range is still moving too fast with engine RPMs at ideal PTO speed.
Big ag tractors that are used 12 hr/day everyday at planting or harvest time, maybe not so much.

Kind of moot in my case...if I follow in the footsteps of my father and grandfather I've got 10, 12 at the most years of tractorin' left, these won't likely be ready for prime time by then. My current tractor will probably outlast me.

Last edited:
   / Some one wanted to know if we'd buy an EV tractor #47  
   / Some one wanted to know if we'd buy an EV tractor #48  
Maybe to Mister suburban weekend cowboy, but not to agriculture. The average farm has more than one large tractor.
I live between corn and bean fields; I understand that grain farms need more energy than we can pack into batteries. Most tractors aren't used in grain farming. Mahindra is the largest tractor manufacturer in the world and they max out at 125 hp.

/ Some one wanted to know if we'd buy an EV tractor #49  
Maybe to Mister suburban weekend cowboy, but not to agriculture. The average farm has more than one large tractor.
No snark necessary. I'm far from being a "suburban weekend cowboy", but I'm not a farmer either. I'd suspect a large percentage of TBNers fall in the same category as me. I use my tractor when I need a tractor to do what I need to do. I may go several months without using it.
I don't know how things are in N.J., but there are plenty of smaller farms around here with only one tractor.

/ Some one wanted to know if we'd buy an EV tractor #50  
Around here profitable farms run about 2500 acres. I don't see how anybody could make a living with one tractor.
Maybe you're talking about a hobby farm where the owner makes money off the farm and uses it on the farm as a tax write-off. I don't call that a farm.

Status
Not open for further replies.