Ford 1720 cranks won’t start

/ Ford 1720 cranks won’t start #1  

neil04530

Hi all, up until now no issues with starting. Cranks over with no smoke. Here’s what I’ve checked so far:
-neutral switch, PTO is disengaged. Is there another safety? (It has no switch on seat)

-changed fuel filter, bled line

-glow plug light comes on. Then when I turn key it cranks. Checked fuse block on firewall that has 3 fuses and found the middle 10 amp panel fuse blown. Replaced fuse, same result. Started tracing wires. Looks like middle fuse wire goes to fuel shutoff solenoid. Pulled solenoid and it functions OK. Tracing the same wire further back, found a spliced wire that goes to alternator.

what else can I check?
Thanks

/ Ford 1720 cranks won’t start #2  
Hi all, up until now no issues with starting. Cranks over with no smoke. Here’s what I’ve checked so far:
-neutral switch, PTO is disengaged. Is there another safety? (It has no switch on seat)

-changed fuel filter, bled line

-glow plug light comes on. Then when I turn key it cranks. Checked fuse block on firewall that has 3 fuses and found the middle 10 amp panel fuse blown. Replaced fuse, same result. Started tracing wires. Looks like middle fuse wire goes to fuel shutoff solenoid. Pulled solenoid and it functions OK. Tracing the same wire further back, found a spliced wire that goes to alternator.

what else can I check?
Thanks

If a diesel is turning over and won't start it is usually a fuel issue. The fact that the fuse to the fuel solenoid was blown is still of concern. I would check into that a little further.

Also I would make sure the fuel is flowing well from tank to filter. Then check lift pump (if so equipped) and make sure it is operating properly. Have you checked engine oil level? Sometimes the lift pump diaphragm, on a mechanical pump, can fail and dump fuel into the crank case. Finally you can loosen the injectors and see if fuel is coming out. This is how I would start the elimination process.

I hope this helps!!

/ Ford 1720 cranks won’t start
If a diesel is turning over and won't start it is usually a fuel issue. The fact that the fuse to the fuel solenoid was blown is still of concern. I would check into that a little further.

Also I would make sure the fuel is flowing well from tank to filter. Then check lift pump (if so equipped) and make sure it is operating properly. Have you checked engine oil level? Sometimes the lift pump diaphragm, on a mechanical pump, can fail and dump fuel into the crank case. Finally you can loosen the injectors and see if fuel is coming out. This is how I would start the elimination process.

I hope this helps!!
Ok, will check oil situation and injectors for flow. Thanks

/ Ford 1720 cranks won’t start #4  
Ok, will check oil situation and injectors for flow. Thanks

I just reread my post and wanted to add a correction: Loosen the lines at the injectors and not the injectors themselves. And, if you have an electric lift pump or no lift pump at all then there would not be any fuel dumping into the crank case.

Sorry, it seems my brain moves just slightly faster than my fingers, which are not very fast, when trying to type the words..... Sometimes the odd word or idea gets missed.

I just reread my post and wanted to add a correction: Loosen the lines at the injectors and not the injectors themselves. And, if you have an electric lift pump or no lift pump at all then there would not be any fuel dumping into the crank case.

Sorry, it seems my brain moves just slightly faster than my fingers, which are not very fast, when trying to type the words..... Sometimes the odd word or idea gets missed.
yes I would‘ve opeNed just the lines anyways. Will do in the next day or so. Not sure about the lift pump.

Removed fuel shutoff solenoid, reconnectEd positive wire and grounded the body. When I turned start key the plunger worked ok. Re-installEd solenoid and connected wire. Cracked nuts to bleed lines at injectors. Turned start key, some fuel came out. What caught my eye is the connection tab on the solenoid was hot and smoking….fuse didn’t blow??
Maybe the plunger is hanging up when installed? I will pick up a new solenoid tomorrow and see what happens.

/ Ford 1720 cranks won’t start #7  
Removed fuel shutoff solenoid, reconnectEd positive wire and grounded the body. When I turned start key the plunger worked ok. Re-installEd solenoid and connected wire. Cracked nuts to bleed lines at injectors. Turned start key, some fuel came out. What caught my eye is the connection tab on the solenoid was hot and smoking….fuse didn’t blow??
Maybe the plunger is hanging up when installed? I will pick up a new solenoid tomorrow and see what happens.
You can pull the rubber plunger off the solenoid and install it that way. See if it starts. You do need to loosen an injector line or two, at the injector, to make sure fuel is all the way to injectors. Just snuff the intake to kill it.

/ Ford 1720 cranks won’t start #8  
Shutoff solenoid has a pull-in coil & a hold-in coil. Sounds like the pull in works, but the hold-in doesn't? If current is kept applied to the pull-in coil it will burn out, which sounds as if it is happening. If the solenoid is external to the injection pump & just acts on the linkage (like on Kubota D series engines) then just bypass it to check. Then you can either replace (expensive!) or rig up a stop cable which is what I did on my Cushman Turf Truckster (Kubota D950)

Roustabout, what do you mean”pull the rubber plunger off the solenoid“? The plunger is just a plain rod, no tip.

/ Ford 1720 cranks won’t start #10  
You might want to connect a jump box (or jumper cables) to your fuel solenoid posts and apply 12 volts to the solenoid from the outside battery to see if it still heats up and/or opens correctly. Could be a wiring harness/dash/switch problem that the jump box will bypass.