Best truck under $10k?

/ Best truck under $10k? #111  
Back in 2007 I purchased a 1996 Dodge 1 ton 4X4 with a Cummins diesel, automatic, and 160K miles for $7k. It had a problem where it wouldn't always shift into overdrive. I fixed that problem myself (installed a rheostat on the tps). I have never used the truck for daily transportation and may set for a month unused at times, but there are often times when I definitely need a strong truck. When it get used it is usually for pulling a loaded trailer or hauling something heavy. I also installed a heavy duty snow plow to use on my 1/4 mile long driveway and at various friend's homes.

It now has 222K miles and has been trouble free, always starts easily and runs like a top with fairly decent fuel mileage. I have installed a flatbed as the original bed literally fell apart. Maintenance wise in the 15 years I have owned it I have replaced a front wheel U-joint, some steering ball joints, replaced the tires and a starter motor. I recently had the tranny rebuilt (I am not really sure I had to, but did it anyhow because of the horror stories you hear about the Dodge trannies). I have manually re-sown the torn seat covers (Can barely tell where I did it). It could stand a paint job, but I have no intention of doing that. I love that truck and have no intention of ever selling it. I haven't priced it in the used market, but I am sure it is worth more than what I paid for it 15 years ago. I don't think I could have done better with any truck nor could I do better going forward with any other truck. Sometimes you get lucky.

/ Best truck under $10k? #112  
I was 29 in the photo... 39 now. I will definitely update it by the time I turn 49.
I'm doing the math, my math isn't very good but did you start this website when you were 15? You're 39 now, you "joined" in 1998, 24 years ago. I assume you started it, maybe you purchased it. I don't really know the history before about 2002. Sorry for off topic post.

/ Best truck under $10k? #113  
Maybe its been said already, but nearly anything can pull a small utility trailer, and that does most jobs a 2wd Ranger can do, with a few advantages.
For sure there's lots of other reasons to get another vehicle, and as a spare, a cheap pickup is pretty useful.

/ Best truck under $10k? #114  
Back in 2007 I purchased a 1996 Dodge 1 ton 4X4 with a Cummins diesel, automatic, and 160K miles for $7k. It had a problem where it wouldn't always shift into overdrive. I fixed that problem myself (installed a rheostat on the tps). I have never used the truck for daily transportation and may set for a month unused at times, but there are often times when I definitely need a strong truck. When it get used it is usually for pulling a loaded trailer or hauling something heavy. I also installed a heavy duty snow plow to use on my 1/4 mile long driveway and at various friend's homes.

It now has 222K miles and has been trouble free, always starts easily and runs like a top with fairly decent fuel mileage. I have installed a flatbed as the original bed literally fell apart. Maintenance wise in the 15 years I have owned it I have replaced a front wheel U-joint, some steering ball joints, replaced the tires and a starter motor. I recently had the tranny rebuilt (I am not really sure I had to, but did it anyhow because of the horror stories you hear about the Dodge trannies). I have manually re-sown the torn seat covers (Can barely tell where I did it). It could stand a paint job, but I have no intention of doing that. I love that truck and have no intention of ever selling it. I haven't priced it in the used market, but I am sure it is worth more than what I paid for it 15 years ago. I don't think I could have done better with any truck nor could I do better going forward with any other truck. Sometimes you get lucky.

$7000 paid year 2007 is equal to about $9700 in today's Dollars.

So1996 Dodge pickup with with flatbed, failing paint & over 222,000 miles is worth over $9700 ?

Maybe so in view of new truck prices.

/ Best truck under $10k? #115  
Bought 96 cumins 2500 extended cab 4x4 new. It’s now got 250K kilometres on it. It spent most of its life with a 2500 lb. Camper on it towing a fully loaded 10 K trailer mostly over some rough roads. All suspension parts have been replaced with heavy duty after market parts. The transmission , well upgraded, replaced last year. Had to do quite a bit of rusted sheet metal work. That was done by myself and far from commercial quality. The frame is good. Commercial rust coat every year and four applications of my own rustproofing. ( pressure wash, rust inhibitor paint, final spray on coat of roofing goop mixed with diesel. All interior portions of frame were coated.)

No idea of the present value?? But it is the last truck I intend to own.

Attachments

• 95FB6348-3961-4C35-B7D7-011328004A46.jpeg
    95FB6348-3961-4C35-B7D7-011328004A46.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 85
  • 08B044F4-7DFD-44F5-8B69-10FE447F3B2F.jpeg
    08B044F4-7DFD-44F5-8B69-10FE447F3B2F.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 87
   / Best truck under $10k? #116  
I'm doing the math, my math isn't very good but did you start this website when you were 15? You're 39 now, you "joined" in 1998, 24 years ago. I assume you started it, maybe you purchased it. I don't really know the history before about 2002. Sorry for off topic post.
Muhammad started this site in his teens. I do believe his father added a lot of advice in the early years but don’t think he had any hands on help.

Muhammad definitely deserves allocates for his accomplishment.

/ Best truck under $10k? #117  
I didn't see it mentioned, but for 10k I think you could find a fairly nice, older, lower mileage Nissan Titan. Overall they are pretty reliable trucks. Little things will need to be taken care of like clocksprings and manifolds and axle vent, but easy stuff for most of you I am sure. And if you find one with the Big Tow package you can tow right up to 10k. Add to that an interior that is pretty comfortable, and even for older models, the interior has aged well.

/ Best truck under $10k? #118  
What was he doing that he needed a pickup bed?

Yes you need a place to put a trailer..just like a tractor and any thing else.
I have no idea, this was probably 20 years ago. Probably the usual homeowner stuff...lumberyard/home center, messy stuff going to the dump, etc.
If you're a suburbanite, you probably don't have a very large yard, and may or may not have an easily accessible place to store a trailer where it's not in the way. Even where I live, there isn't a convenient place to store one that's acceptable to the family aesthetics officer.

/ Best truck under $10k? #119  
With smaller trucks being so popular, I have seen Tundras for less than similarly trimmed Tacomas. I usually search in about a 500 mile radius.

As of this moment, the cheapest Tacoma with 4x4 within 500 miles of me is a 1999 single cab, $10,999 and has 289k miles. It is considered a 'great' deal. smh

Just switching the parameters from Tacoma to Tundra, the cheapest is a 2002 SR5 extra cab (cab and a half), $7850 and has 214k miles. Also a 'great' deal. Even with today's gas prices, the $3000 difference can get me at least 7800 miles ($5/gal at 13 mpg).

I have to check the Carfax, too. I lived near the salt infested north long enough to know better than to buy an old truck from up there (or the coasts). I'd probably try to buy this Tundra as it is actually pretty close and has not been in salt-prone areas much (a few years in Kansas). Unfortunately, the home-boss put a cap of 150k miles.

/ Best truck under $10k? #120  
03-07(Classic) Chevrolet/GMC GMT800 full-size; I've owned 4 of them, and intend to buy another one day.