The questions about invisible fence for dog

/ The questions about invisible fence for dog #11  
~10 years ago we fenced in about two acres using the buried wire version. On occasion the Newfie would take the shock to get to the pond, the boxer always respected the wire. I think most dogs can be trained to stay inside the perimeter.

/ The questions about invisible fence for dog #12  
I used pet safe stubborn dog brand.
Put the collar on walked her over to the area. The collar begin to vibrate on her neck. She didn't like that at all. After that, I never tired to train her again. She pretty much self trained.

You set how close they can get to the wire before it vibrates, then beeps, then shocks if they refuse to get out of the range you set.
I've had this for about 5 yrs. Lightening hit the wire and burn out the control box. Replaced it and haven't had another issue

/ The questions about invisible fence for dog #13  
Reviving and old thread cause I need all'ya's unvarnished opinions of the wireless fence systems you may have. The reviews on line from on-line vendors are all over the place: Either five stars or one star.
I can't go with an in ground wired system. This would be near impossible for us.
Pet Safe is the obvious choice, but I'm not entirely sold on it.. The range seems too small for us at a radius of 100 feet. Ideally we want 175 feet. I also don't trust any device that has rechargeable, yet non-replaceable batteries.

How tough and long lasting are the Pet Safe collars? Our dog was very hard on the Havahart collars, and we had to buy a replacement every two years. It was also almost impossible to get skunk stink out of the collars, and the webbing that held the collar antennas in place would be trashed after a few months.
So, if you have a wireless fence system, I respectfully request an honest review of what ever system you have.

Thank you in advance! :)

/ The questions about invisible fence for dog #14  
I have no knowledge of a wireless system. I can tell you - a buried wire system is not the way to go either. Good friend had two Alaskan Huskies. The system worked when the dog were relaxed or playful. They see a deer, moose, skunk - etc. The buried wire didn't even faze them. He spent quite a bit of time burying a whole lot of wire too.

/ The questions about invisible fence for dog #15  
I have no knowledge of a wireless system. I can tell you - a buried wire system is not the way to go either. Good friend had two Alaskan Huskies. The system worked when the dog were relaxed or playful. They see a deer, moose, skunk - etc. The buried wire didn't even faze them. He spent quite a bit of time burying a whole lot of wire too.
Same. My GSDs would respect the buried wire until external stimulus overcame the fear.

I don't know how a wireless would be different unless it goes to constant shock if outside the area.

/ The questions about invisible fence for dog #16  
I read somewhere that there’s a GPS based system that was smart. If a dog ran past the boundary, it will continue to shock as long as he continues to move away from the boundary area and will stop shocking if it started back towards the boundary. Pretty nifty way to herd dogs back.

/ The questions about invisible fence for dog #17  
Reviving and old thread cause I need all'ya's unvarnished opinions of the wireless fence systems you may have. The reviews on line from on-line vendors are all over the place: Either five stars or one star.
I can't go with an in ground wired system. This would be near impossible for us.
Pet Safe is the obvious choice, but I'm not entirely sold on it.. The range seems too small for us at a radius of 100 feet. Ideally we want 175 feet. I also don't trust any device that has rechargeable, yet non-replaceable batteries.

How tough and long lasting are the Pet Safe collars? Our dog was very hard on the Havahart collars, and we had to buy a replacement every two years. It was also almost impossible to get skunk stink out of the collars, and the webbing that held the collar antennas in place would be trashed after a few months.
So, if you have a wireless fence system, I respectfully request an honest review of what ever system you have.

Thank you in advance! :)
Havent had a shock-collar systemin about 7 years. Decided to go with an actual fence because it was too easy for the dogs to run past if they saw something they wanted to chase. Just too untrustworthy with certain breeds IMO.

I tried the petsafe radius thing. Didnt like it. Too many blind spots that it just couldnt get a signal through. ANd elevation changes screw with it too. ANd the "radius" seem to vary which made it very difficult to train a dog. One day they may be able to go to a certain area, next day they get shocked. Really confusing for a dog because any "shock-collar" system relies heavily on training the dog.

With regard to battery.....tech for rechargeable stuff has came along way in a few decades. You say you dont trust rechargeable but not replaceable batteries.....do you trust your cell phone?

Anything with replaceable batteries....is likely only going to be water resistant and not water proof. I had an innotek brand sealed collar and rechargeable. The "shock" unit could be mounted on any collar by simply burning through two holes in the collar.

/ The questions about invisible fence for dog #18  
I have no idea where the OP is located. There is NO WAY I would trust any type of control system. I have a little brown Cocker Spaniel. Ideal snack for coyotes, cougars, owls or hawks. These systems will not protect my dog from predators. Brownie is either in the house or outside, WITH ME.

/ The questions about invisible fence for dog #19  
I read about one person who had an invisible fence. Seems his dog would go to the point where the warning sounded until the battery died. Then it went where it wanted.
We had a dog that did this. Very smart Golden. She would run along the invisible fence and stay far enough away for the color to beep but not shock. When the beeping stopped, she knew she would not be shocked, and would escape. My wife could not figure out how the dog kept escaping until she was home one day and saw the dog running along the "fence" at the goldilocks distance to get a beep but not a shock. The collar stop beeping and the dog was gone. :eek: :ROFLMAO:

That was one smart dog. Well behaved too except for that escaping bit. :ROFLMAO:

Later,
Dan

/ The questions about invisible fence for dog #20  
Another option ... Is a Fi collar. It's a gps based location collar. One can set a home distance from the base unit. When the collar leaves that area without a mated cell phone, you get a text msg. Of all the locator collars I've used, this is the best. Even texts a message when the collar battery is low and needs a recharge. If you decide this is for you, msg me for a code to get a freebie.

Attachments

• IMG_1307.JPG
    IMG_1307.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 35