Wooden Fence Posts

/ Wooden Fence Posts
Horses, I know …. Don’t say it… but my 16 year old daughter and wife seem to have won this battle. They are currently at a boarding facility @ $1100 per month, so they need to come home.

/ Wooden Fence Posts #22  
Iman - The primary purpose of my barbed wire fence is to keep cattle out. Secondarily - it's to establish the perimeters of my property. Because I choose EverSharp barbed wire - it does a pretty good job of keeping people out also.

/ Wooden Fence Posts #23  
Check facebook marketplace for an old Danuser 3pt post pounder. Search for post pounder and or post driver. Usually go for $800 to $1500 around me. Their 3pt pto powered driver can drive 6" post into soft ground in a few hits. Right now my soft clay/sand ground is concrete hard due to the lack of rain this summer. I have to auger out with a 4" drill prior to pounding them in and its still slow going. When you are done putting in posts sell it on facebook and get your money back. Any cat 1 tractor will be able to handle to the old danuser no hydraulics required. Just check the rubber wheel to make sure it is in good shape and will lift the sled. Parts are still available from danuser.

/ Wooden Fence Posts #24  
Iman - The primary purpose of my barbed wire fence is to keep cattle out. Secondarily - it's to establish the perimeters of my property. Because I choose EverSharp barbed wire - it does a pretty good job of keeping people out also.
Sounds kind of like it's still open range around there.

/ Wooden Fence Posts #25  
For horses, I installed high tensile wire 26 years ago. You will hear horror stories from many people about how a horse got hurt. I will tell you a horse is an animal that's suicidal. A horse can get hurt on any fence. wood, pipe, mesh, barbed wire, etc. My experience with high tensile has been great. The only fence damage I've ever had was inflicted by a machine. (tractor or mower) Trees that fall on it, are cut off and the wire springs back up.

High tensile relies on being electrified... AND the horse being trained to avoid it. Actually, any fence has to be electrified for horses because they will rub on it and tear it down.

As a horse newbie, listen to experience. It'll save you money and heartache. If you want more details on building and maintenance... pm me.

/ Wooden Fence Posts #26  
lol! The fence we removed was so old it had hand cut cedar posts. the barb wire was mostly rusted away. Many of the posts had fallen over from rot.

edit. If you go for the auger, make sure you have (or install) a PTO clutch. If you hit a big rock the auger stops. It is time consuming (shipping time) and frustrating changing a broken PTO shaft.
Just cut up a live stock panel and use the rods for shear pins. Been doing that as long as they been making panels. Never fixed any pto. Fenced hundreds of acres. Fencing 200 more after it cools off. T posts are here already.

/ Wooden Fence Posts #27  
Horses, I know …. Don’t say it… but my 16 year old daughter and wife seem to have won this battle. They are currently at a boarding facility @ $1100 per month, so they need to come home.
I've never paid more than 600 for a horse, much less that much to put him up.

/ Wooden Fence Posts #28  
Just cut up a live stock panel and use the rods for shear pins. Been doing that as long as they been making panels. Never fixed any pto. Fenced hundreds of acres. Fencing 200 more after it cools off. T posts are here already.
Do you got a picture?

/ Wooden Fence Posts #29  
Borrow or buy a manual post hole digger. Do about 5 as fast as you can. Then put it in the barn and buy an auger. Your perspective on the auger being overkill will be changed forever.