trailer modification

/ trailer modification #11  
Well, if I had your money$$$$. Spending $7-8000 on a new trailer aint worth it for something that hasnt been used in 2 years untill this week, and probably wouldnt be used more than a couple or three times a year in the future. But to be honest, I have already been looking for a bigger trailer, but then I would want a newer truck to pull it with. Then to pay for the new equipment, I would be looking for work to help pay for it, then I would need insurance and stuff. I can make do with what I have, but I dont like the mower tail wheel hanging off the back of the trailer.
Remove mower tail wheel during transport....

/ trailer modification #12  
Well, if I had your money$$$$. Spending $7-8000 on a new trailer aint worth it for something that hasnt been used in 2 years untill this week, and probably wouldnt be used more than a couple or three times a year in the future. But to be honest, I have already been looking for a bigger trailer, but then I would want a newer truck to pull it with. Then to pay for the new equipment, I would be looking for work to help pay for it, then I would need insurance and stuff. I can make do with what I have, but I dont like the mower tail wheel hanging off the back of the trailer.

Buy another used trailer and sell yours. You wouldn’t have to spend a lot that way.

/ trailer modification #13  
I had to do this one time on a 33 foot trailer I built to haul twin conversion vans. The guy I was building it for changed his mind on how long he wanted the trailer. I had mounted the axles, before the change. He didn't want to pay to move them, didn't want a 3rd axle, so I built it with axles in same place. Pulled like crap (as I told him it would!!) He paid to move them, and I added a hanger behind the rear axle and moved the front axle to the rear and that made it haul perfect. This was with 6 foot added, and a 10 ft dovetail.
Take a look at your hangers and see if you can add another set behind at same distance and just leave front set empty.
David from Jax

/ trailer modification
I had to do this one time on a 33 foot trailer I built to haul twin conversion vans. The guy I was building it for changed his mind on how long he wanted the trailer. I had mounted the axles, before the change. He didn't want to pay to move them, didn't want a 3rd axle, so I built it with axles in same place. Pulled like crap (as I told him it would!!) He paid to move them, and I added a hanger behind the rear axle and moved the front axle to the rear and that made it haul perfect. This was with 6 foot added, and a 10 ft dovetail.
Take a look at your hangers and see if you can add another set behind at same distance and just leave front set empty.
David from Jax
Kind of what I have planed if I decide to move the axles. thinking about a 2ft dovetail, to keep the axles in the correct weight balance I would need to move the center point about 14 inches. New spring perches used to be cheap, I havent checked in a while. Flip trailer upside down, weld on perches, probably wouldnt even have to cut the old ones off.

/ trailer modification #15  
Buy another used trailer and sell yours. You wouldn’t have to spend a lot that way.
I looked at buying a used 18-20ft 10k recently. There all compete junk or want $300 less than new. In some cases they want more than new.

I ended up ordering a new 20ft 10k from the manufacturer for $5200.

/ trailer modification #16  
I looked at buying a used 18-20ft 10k recently. There all compete junk or want $300 less than new. In some cases they want more than new.

I ended up ordering a new 20ft 10k from the manufacturer for $5200.
In the midwest, seems there are reasonably prices used "car hauliers" being sold. :unsure:

/ trailer modification #17  
In the midwest, seems there are reasonably prices used "car hauliers" being sold. :unsure:
I looked at one 18ft tilt deck that needed axles, tires, brakes, a deck and some rust repair. Guy wanted $4k for it. A new non tilt is $5200.

/ trailer modification #19  
If I understood correct the trailer pulls ok with tractor and mower on it. Tail wheel hanging off is a non issue in my book and doesn't require extending trailer. Most states allow load to extend 4 feet past stop & tail lights before flagging. What are your concerns about tail wheel hanging off rear? Deck siiting on trailer actually helps stabilize tractor.

/ trailer modification
If I understood correct the trailer pulls ok with tractor and mower on it. Tail wheel hanging off is a non issue in my book and doesn't require extending trailer. Most states allow load to extend 4 feet past stop & tail lights before flagging. What are your concerns about tail wheel hanging off rear? Deck siiting on trailer actually helps stabilize tractor.
Biggest issue with tail wheel hanging off is it dragging when turning on and off the road. Of course the dove tail would drag also, but it wouldnt be tearing up my tail wheel. What I think I am going to do for right now is remove the bolt that adjust the tail wheel height and fold the wheel back over the mower. Thats the quickest short term fix while I ponder what I want to do. I got my mowing done this week and mower most likely wont be hooked back up until spring.