trailer modification

/ trailer modification #1  

muddstopper

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ventrac, Steiner
Thinking about adding a dove tail to my trailer. I build this trailer probably 10-15 years ago to hual my landscape equipment. Trailer has a 7ft bed and is 18ft long. Since building the trailer, things have change, I retired and no longer do any lanscapeing work, sold all the equipment. I recently bought a ls 342 with loader and 6ft titan bushhog. When it is all loaded on the trailer, the tailwheel hangs off the back end. I am thinking about adding a dove tail to the trailer, but am wondering if this means I will also have to move the axles. The dove tail will add some weight, but I wouldnt be loading any more than I am already loading on the trailer. the trailer pulls great as is, I just dont want to get in a situation where I add weight to the rear and trailer starts acting stupid when towed. Moving the axles isnt that big a deal, just a lot of work for a old man crawling around on the ground.

/ trailer modification #2  
When I built my 6.5ft x 10ft long single axle trailer I found a simple rule of thumb that worked out well for me. place your axle in the middle of the deck plus 1 inch back for every foot of length.

but you are right it will add weight to the rear and I would probably slide the axle back a bit.

/ trailer modification #3  
You may have to move the axles.

/ trailer modification #4  
Just buy another trailer. Modifying trailers is way more work than it’s worth.

/ trailer modification #6  
Or just move the equipment forward a little. For an empty trailer just put some weight (blocks, sandbags, etc) up front.

/ trailer modification #7  
Axle or load placement is not a perfect sienllllle. When I'm loading a machine, they are shorter than the trailer, so I just make sure I seen the front sink some so there is weight added to the hitch.

/ trailer modification
When I built my 6.5ft x 10ft long single axle trailer I found a simple rule of thumb that worked out well for me. place your axle in the middle of the deck plus 1 inch back for every foot of length.

but you are right it will add weight to the rear and I would probably slide the axle back a bit.
That is how I placed the axles when I built the trailer. I have built several using that formula and they all towed well.

/ trailer modification
Turn the trailer over to make moving axles much easier.

Bruce
Good suggestion. I can turn it over easy enough with the fel. I would probably just buy new mounts instead of trying to reuse the old ones.

/ trailer modification
Just buy another trailer. Modifying trailers is way more work than it’s worth.
Well, if I had your money$$$$. Spending $7-8000 on a new trailer aint worth it for something that hasnt been used in 2 years untill this week, and probably wouldnt be used more than a couple or three times a year in the future. But to be honest, I have already been looking for a bigger trailer, but then I would want a newer truck to pull it with. Then to pay for the new equipment, I would be looking for work to help pay for it, then I would need insurance and stuff. I can make do with what I have, but I dont like the mower tail wheel hanging off the back of the trailer.