trailer modification

/ trailer modification #21  
Well, if I had your money$$$$. Spending $7-8000 on a new trailer aint worth it for something that hasnt been used in 2 years untill this week, and probably wouldnt be used more than a couple or three times a year in the future. But to be honest, I have already been looking for a bigger trailer, but then I would want a newer truck to pull it with. Then to pay for the new equipment, I would be looking for work to help pay for it, then I would need insurance and stuff. I can make do with what I have, but I dont like the mower tail wheel hanging off the back of the trailer.
Just tie a red shop rag on it and carry on. You can legally hang over 10 ft here. Just have to mark it.

/ trailer modification #22  
On a 5x8 trailer I had, that I hauled a Ford 1100 with a bush hog behind it, most of the bush hog overhung the back of the trailer. To get the balance right, I took the easy way out and extended the tongue! It became a 5x9 and hauled a lot of stuff once I was done with it. My brother used it to haul scrap and when he passed, I ended up with it. Guess I should put it back to use...
David from jax

/ trailer modification #23  
Could you turn the tractor around and have the mower wheel over the tongue? Or shorten the top link to raise wheel up so it does not drag? (I do that with mine)

/ trailer modification #24  
Could you turn the tractor around and have the mower wheel over the tongue? Or shorten the top link to raise wheel up so it does not drag? (I do that with mine)
Yea and stack concrete blocks on mower to balance weight. Better to have the tailwheel bash your truck bed in a turn than have some poor soul put it through their grill.

/ trailer modification #25  
You could add a 2 inch receiver to the rear cross member of the trailer. Fab up an arm of sorts to extend back or up to hold the tail wheel or mower deck. Elevate the arm enough so the wheel does not drag on turns. Could remove the arm like a normal trailer hitch when not needed.

/ trailer modification
Interesting concept. I need to think about that for a bit.

/ trailer modification #27  
I hate modifying trailers. And hate the thought of advising anyone to do so. In this sue happy world we live in.....anything that goes down the road behind my truck was made by a manufacture with their stamp of approval on it. Not chance on it coming back on me if something goes wrong....that's cheap insurance and piece of mind.

/ trailer modification #28  
I like the folding up of the tail wheel. Doesn't mess with what works and takes nearly no time. You'd have to move the mower about 500 times to equal the time you spent on the dovetail. No to mention, the mods you need to make when the dovetail drags too. Maybe replace the bolt on the tail wheel with a pin and keeper?

My tail wheel hangs off the brush cutter when I move it. But it doesn't hang past the ramp legs, so it's not an issue.

/ trailer modification
Blowed a tire on the trailer today, of course it ruint the fender. I have been thinking/leaning toward selling the trailer and buying one a little longer and heavier. I built this trailer several years ago and it has served me well, but I am just feeling my axles are a little light for the weight of the tractor. I could put heavier axles under it, but I would still be stuck with the short lenght. Getting to old to crawl around rebuilding things. Leaning toward a gooseneck if I can find a good one without buying new.