customer services frustration

/ customer services frustration #31  
Here is my situations, I bought my tractor at a dealer 600 miles away from my residence. It was a good deal and it was what I was looking for so I went for it, it was second hand with low hours. Without going too much in details and in a rant here there was a few things that they did that was annoying and not totally honest but being this far and second hand its not like I expected services from them after the sale anyways. There is a closer Massey Ferguson dealer from my residence at 200 miles away so I figured I would not do business where I purchases the tractor but would establish a ''relationship'' to the closer dealer 200 miles away. I order all my filters in advance for my next regular maintenance from them and I also order a 3 point stabilizer bar, nothing major I know but No issues. Then I called them to purchases a third function kit, they take all my information but never hear back from them... Then when I was ready to do my maintenance and change my oil and filters I notice they gave me all the wrong filters 😒 not impress, called them and they told me they would take them back and reimburse me, then they asked me if I purchases my tractor there ? I said no ... at that point I knew what was going on... again they took my information and said they would call me back to process the new order for the right filters... The next day no news so I called them back, they said the guy in the parts is alone and they are prioritizing their client who purchases their equipment there first and I will get a call once they get to it and she assure me they would .... Fair enough I can understand that but also knew they never called me back for the third function kit so I move on and contact back the dealer 600 miles away where I purchases my tractor to re ordered my filters. I intended to tell the dealer 200 miles away how I felt and that they lost a future customer on a future sale once they call me but they never did...

Is this type of situation common when dealing with a dealer that you didn't purchases your equipment there ?
Would you buy anything at a dealer like this ? tractor or implements. Like if they are properly supporting their existing customer who purchases equipment there and not others because of staff shortage I can understand and respect that but be up front and say it, is this too much to ask ?

I also understand I put myself in this situation and I only have myself to blame. I guess I figured any dealer would be happy to take my business. There is other dealers in between these two but I my going to run in the same scenario over and over...

I will bring my filters back next time I go by, is it worth sharing my frustration with their business and giving them the chance to redeem themselves ?
You mentioned yourself to blame and I am glad you have that humble perspective on the issue.

When you dont buy local, you should not expect that local dealer to bend over to help you. That said, you also should not be given the wrong parts.

You are a remote user, so it is going to pay dividends if you take more ownership of the machine. By that I mean do your own parts research, figure out which parts you need, how to source them on the internet or locally (folks here can probably help). Don't rely on a dealer 200 miles away.

I bought local and my dealer is exceptional. I no doubt paid more than I might have if I shopped other states..but my dealer knows that. I can only remember one time they sold me a side mirror kit for my RTV (I gave them the part # to order mind you) and turns out it only worked for the non-cab version. They took it back and refunded me the difference even though it was really my fault. So those good dealers are out there.

/ customer services frustration #32  
Here is my situations, I bought my tractor at a dealer 600 miles away from my residence. It was a good deal and it was what I was looking for so I went for it, it was second hand with low hours. Without going too much in details and in a rant here there was a few things that they did that was annoying and not totally honest but being this far and second hand its not like I expected services from them after the sale anyways. There is a closer Massey Ferguson dealer from my residence at 200 miles away so I figured I would not do business where I purchases the tractor but would establish a ''relationship'' to the closer dealer 200 miles away. I order all my filters in advance for my next regular maintenance from them and I also order a 3 point stabilizer bar, nothing major I know but No issues. Then I called them to purchases a third function kit, they take all my information but never hear back from them... Then when I was ready to do my maintenance and change my oil and filters I notice they gave me all the wrong filters 😒 not impress, called them and they told me they would take them back and reimburse me, then they asked me if I purchases my tractor there ? I said no ... at that point I knew what was going on... again they took my information and said they would call me back to process the new order for the right filters... The next day no news so I called them back, they said the guy in the parts is alone and they are prioritizing their client who purchases their equipment there first and I will get a call once they get to it and she assure me they would .... Fair enough I can understand that but also knew they never called me back for the third function kit so I move on and contact back the dealer 600 miles away where I purchases my tractor to re ordered my filters. I intended to tell the dealer 200 miles away how I felt and that they lost a future customer on a future sale once they call me but they never did...

Is this type of situation common when dealing with a dealer that you didn't purchases your equipment there ?
Would you buy anything at a dealer like this ? tractor or implements. Like if they are properly supporting their existing customer who purchases equipment there and not others because of staff shortage I can understand and respect that but be up front and say it, is this too much to ask ?

I also understand I put myself in this situation and I only have myself to blame. I guess I figured any dealer would be happy to take my business. There is other dealers in between these two but I my going to run in the same scenario over and over...

I will bring my filters back next time I go by, is it worth sharing my frustration with their business and giving them the chance to redeem themselves ?

I've run into dealers of vehicles and other things that are like that. I've even had new car dealers attempt to refuse warranty coverage because I did not buy from them.

As far as your filters and other parts, shop online. I am sure there are MF dealers that offer parts online. You might be pleased at pricing as well.

/ customer services frustration #33  
I wish that the OP would tell us the Brand the dealer was selling. It may be that those dealers are directed by the home company to be that way. I have a Mahindra tractor that is 13 years old. I bought it from a dealer 100 miles away. I have never had any trouble with my machine; so I have never had a need of them. I have a independent tractor repair facility locally and he is great to deal with. I also have a local Hydraulics company and I took a ram that had a blown seal to them. I just popped the ram off and took it to them. $80 covered it.

I will grant that my machine gets an easy life and that keeps down the number of things that need servicing.

Any company that would treat me the way yours did to you would never get any business from me ever again. I would even go as far as selling my tractor and going to a different brand. Business is business and there is no reason a company should feel any different that. Sorry to hear about your trouble, but please let us know what company this is.

/ customer services frustration
I wish that the OP would tell us the Brand the dealer was selling. It may be that those dealers are directed by the home company to be that way. I have a Mahindra tractor that is 13 years old. I bought it from a dealer 100 miles away. I have never had any trouble with my machine; so I have never had a need of them. I have a independent tractor repair facility locally and he is great to deal with. I also have a local Hydraulics company and I took a ram that had a blown seal to them. I just popped the ram off and took it to them. $80 covered it.

I will grant that my machine gets an easy life and that keeps down the number of things that need servicing.

Any company that would treat me the way yours did to you would never get any business from me ever again. I would even go as far as selling my tractor and going to a different brand. Business is business and there is no reason a company should feel any different that. Sorry to hear about your trouble, but please let us know what company this is.

I wasn't very clear about it on purpose because I didn't want to directly mentioned the dealer since it is against TBN rules and my question was more are all dealers like this and not is the dealers selling this specific tractor brand are like this with that being said you have a valid question. The tractor listed on my profile is a 2706e Massey Ferguson and in the forth line from my initial message I mentioned that the closest Massey Ferguson dealer is 200 miles away.

Last edited:
   / customer services frustration #36  

I would send a well worded description of what has happened to Agco head office.....you are ordering filters/maintenance parts. This takes like 1 min on a computer to oder and is literally the butter on their bread after sale of the machine. You can always get you filters on line and delivered to your door .....in fact that might be Agco's plan for items like air oil and fuel filters

/ customer services frustration #37  

If that dealer has a website, as most do now, leave a NOT SO POLITE review and maybe save someone the hassle of trying to work with the dealer.

/ customer services frustration #38  
I'll inject a slightly different point of view here, from a parts counter perspective. I have experience in both auto and equipment parts.

If the counterman asked if you bought the machine from them it was likely an effort to get exactly the right information to assist in looking up parts. You would be surprised by how many different filters can be on the "same model" of equipment. Ditto for "recommended fluids". Sometimes figuring out even the basic items can be a daunting task. This lays at the feet of the manufacturer for not being on top of things. I have seen even very seasoned parts guys struggle with getting the right filters. Shame on the manufacturers for this. Any parts person can make a mistake. It happens to the best of them. The rubber meets the road in how they deal with it.

Quality counter people who work on commission usually have the customer's best interest in mind as they know that a happy customer will keep bringing them money. They won't try to screw you to make a quick buck. Very hard to find these types any more...

If the service manager said we try to take care of those who bought here first and we are very busy but we will get to you as soon as we can. That is honest can be respected, as you stated.

If the receptionist gave you that song and dance it is a pretty good indicator that the attitude of the entire business is like that. I would read it as "go away".

My basic rule of business is I don't beg people to take my money. Me and my wallet just walk away. I don't go out of my way to make a stink about it, just move one, but remember the experience for future reference should anyone ask.

As for after market vs. OEM that argument is as old as what kind of oil is best or what tractor should I buy? I have an import tractor and I can just about guarantee that any after market filter is better than the OEM crap that was on it. Ditto for all the fluids.

Having the OEM part numbers preferably from the old filters themselves is the best starting point to finding replacements Online catalogs are second best with a cross reference list coming up in last place. Measuring the dimensions and getting a physical fit is the first half of the battle. Making sure it functions as required takes a little more work. Leaning to be your own parts person is a challenge but can pay huge dividends in the end.

/ customer services frustration
I'll inject a slightly different point of view here, from a parts counter perspective. I have experience in both auto and equipment parts.

If the counterman asked if you bought the machine from them it was likely an effort to get exactly the right information to assist in looking up parts. You would be surprised by how many different filters can be on the "same model" of equipment. Ditto for "recommended fluids". Sometimes figuring out even the basic items can be a daunting task. This lays at the feet of the manufacturer for not being on top of things. I have seen even very seasoned parts guys struggle with getting the right filters. Shame on the manufacturers for this. Any parts person can make a mistake. It happens to the best of them. The rubber meets the road in how they deal with it.

Quality counter people who work on commission usually have the customer's best interest in mind as they know that a happy customer will keep bringing them money. They won't try to screw you to make a quick buck. Very hard to find these types any more...

Good point that I didn't consider...

It never cross my mind they would do such thing...

thanks for your perspective.

/ customer services frustration #40  
I bought parts from the dealer I bought from and every part they sold me was wrong. I had to give them the part numbers to order…. And then before they sent them to me I made them text me photos to ensure they were correct…. And judging from @Jchonline location and brand, I am using that same “exceptional” dealer…