customer services frustration

/ customer services frustration #1  

Rockbadchild

Veteran Member
Tractor
2076E Massey Ferguson
Here is my situations, I bought my tractor at a dealer 600 miles away from my residence. It was a good deal and it was what I was looking for so I went for it, it was second hand with low hours. Without going too much in details and in a rant here there was a few things that they did that was annoying and not totally honest but being this far and second hand its not like I expected services from them after the sale anyways. There is a closer Massey Ferguson dealer from my residence at 200 miles away so I figured I would not do business where I purchases the tractor but would establish a ''relationship'' to the closer dealer 200 miles away. I order all my filters in advance for my next regular maintenance from them and I also order a 3 point stabilizer bar, nothing major I know but No issues. Then I called them to purchases a third function kit, they take all my information but never hear back from them... Then when I was ready to do my maintenance and change my oil and filters I notice they gave me all the wrong filters 😒 not impress, called them and they told me they would take them back and reimburse me, then they asked me if I purchases my tractor there ? I said no ... at that point I knew what was going on... again they took my information and said they would call me back to process the new order for the right filters... The next day no news so I called them back, they said the guy in the parts is alone and they are prioritizing their client who purchases their equipment there first and I will get a call once they get to it and she assure me they would .... Fair enough I can understand that but also knew they never called me back for the third function kit so I move on and contact back the dealer 600 miles away where I purchases my tractor to re ordered my filters. I intended to tell the dealer 200 miles away how I felt and that they lost a future customer on a future sale once they call me but they never did...

Is this type of situation common when dealing with a dealer that you didn't purchases your equipment there ?
Would you buy anything at a dealer like this ? tractor or implements. Like if they are properly supporting their existing customer who purchases equipment there and not others because of staff shortage I can understand and respect that but be up front and say it, is this too much to ask ?

I also understand I put myself in this situation and I only have myself to blame. I guess I figured any dealer would be happy to take my business. There is other dealers in between these two but I my going to run in the same scenario over and over...

I will bring my filters back next time I go by, is it worth sharing my frustration with their business and giving them the chance to redeem themselves ?

Last edited:
   / customer services frustration #2  
Back to the wallet took precedent over common sense deal and now you are screwed. Should have considered that when you bought it.

Sometimes a buck saved will cost you 2 bucks down the road.

Not all dealers are like that but a lot are an as independent businessmen they can be.

My dealer isn't, glad of that and I see that scenario played out every day there (I work there part time). My dealer don't care if they sold you the unit or not. The labor and parts cost is the same. The only difference is, when it comes to service, the customers who purchased their tractors there get preference and everyone else waits.

All is fair far as I'm concerned.

/ customer services frustration #3  
If you moved from 600 miles away they would crap on you as well? I bought my tractor 1000 miles away and brought here when I moved. Because I bought it local before I moved I cheated the local dealer?

I just bought a used tractor that was traded in from a JD dealer but it is not a green tractor, now the local dealer that did not have one to sell NOR replied to any request to buy one can treat me like crap?

I'm sure glad I can do my own repairs and order on line. I would NEVER give such a business even a passing thought again.

/ customer services frustration #4  
The only vote you get is with your wallet and taking your business elsewhere; and telling his customers your story. Let the market decide.

/ customer services frustration #5  
Is this type of situation common when dealing with a dealer that you didn't purchases your equipment there ?
Would you buy anything at a dealer like this ? tractor or implements. Like if they are properly supporting their existing customer who purchases equipment there and not others because of staff shortage I can understand and respect that but be up front and say it, is this too much to ask ?

I also understand I put myself in this situation and I only have myself to blame. I guess I figured any dealer would be happy to take my business. There is other dealers in between these two but I my going to run in the same scenario over and over...

I will bring my filters back next time I go by, is it worth sharing my frustration with their business and giving them the chance to redeem themselves ?

I hate to give a regional answer to what ought to be a universal question. But that's the world today.

Where I live - in the rural mountainous part of the western US, what you describe is NOT common and is pretty much unknown. If I knew a dealer who treated another person that way I wouldn't patronize him regardless of what he was doing for me. My neighbors wouldn't either. It would be nice if we could say that good manners are universal, but not so. I have friends in other areas who feel just as justified as I do but in the completely opposite direction.

Truth is that we don't know where we stand. Right now the USA population is deeply divided on all kinds of business and governmental ethical issues. What may be a common attitude in one place is very different in another.

Eventually that division is itself going to be a bigger problem than any one issue. So as you read responses, don't be surprised if you get totally different answers.

Oh, and BTW. I don't see that you are to blame at all. From my perspective it sounds like you accidently ran into someone who puts profit over good manners. They exist. Some even thrive. How is that your fault?

When you stop by, I always figure it costs no effort at all to ask if the way they acted is their deliberate policy or some sort of mistake. After all, it might have been a mistake. If not, then confronting an issue is the only way I know that stands any chance of changing things.

rScotty

/ customer services frustration
Back to the wallet took precedent over common sense deal and now you are screwed. Should have considered that when you bought it.

Sometimes a buck saved will cost you 2 bucks down the road.

Not all dealers are like that but a lot are an as independent businessmen they can be.

My dealer isn't, glad of that and I see that scenario played out every day there (I work there part time). My dealer don't care if they sold you the unit or not. The labor and parts cost is the same. The only difference is, when it comes to service, the customers who purchased their tractors there get preference and everyone else waits.

All is fair far as I'm concerned.
common sense is only what is common to you …and i am not screwed by any means it’s just a pain to deal with … Initially it cross my mind it was going to be that way but i was like you can order filters from any shop it’s not like it’s time consuming or hard … but i guess it is more complicated then i expected … I agree it is fair game they don’t own me anything especially for technical support or shop time get your customer first that I understand completely. Where I am from dealers in general want business and it’s first arrived first serve, I bring my Canam quad to polaris dealer for upgrades or repair they don’t care it’s money if they don’t have time they say no and i go somewhere else…I guess this dealer has more business that they can afford, my dad dealt with them a while back and never had problem getting parts despite never purchasing anything there… anyways like i said first time I encounter that and wanted to know how common it is so i know next time … but sound like it’s the common then not.

/ customer services frustration #7  
I guess that I'm fortunate with the two dealers I work with. I bought in one state and get service from my original dealer and the one next to my other property 1,200 miles away in another state.
The only questions I had with second dealer was the information to set up an account there.

/ customer services frustration #9  
It was a used tractor... if you had bought it privately would they still be treating you this way? Their behaviour is a good way to NOT grow a business; and, sadly is likely one reason why some manufacturers are veering away from small dealers and bigger businesses.

/ customer services frustration #10  
First, if the dealer is busy, then they MUST service the new tractors they sold - maybe that means first. But it may have helped to answer that question "where did you buy" simply by stating it was used from an individual. I hope they call you to schedule. But I would order filters and do the inspections and oil changes for now.