Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!! #156,741  
67°F and 0 rain

Very nice dinner with Sophie last night. Opted for the ribeye with Shrimp tempura special. Good, but maybe not as good as the sashimi and shrimp tempura I usually get.

Has been suggested and I agree, I should put together a large pot of homemade spaghetti sauce and meatballs using some of the homegrown tomatoes in the freezer. I agree.

Prayers for all
Be safe
Have a great day

/ Good morning!!!! #156,742  
Just when you think you've seen it all, something new can happen.

Yesterday, I decided to take a short drive to see how much construction work has been done lately in this area, and as I was coming back south on I35E to exit at Exit 460 and was in the exit lane with the driver’s window open because it was such a beautiful day when an 18 wheeler went by. I briefly saw something flash in front of my face and heard a crash. Then I saw my windshield was broken on the right side and a 3.0 oz wheel weight laying on the dash.

Obviously, the automotive wheel weight came from that truck, flew in through my open window and broke my windshield from the inside. If it had hit me, there would have been serious, if not fatal, injuries.

So now I have a new windshield ordered to be installed in 2 weeks.
Whew, thank God you didn't get hit in the head. Sometimes the weights are laying in the road, and the tires will pick them up in the grooves and sling them out fast.
Good morning!! The news of the the day 46˚F very cold morning. Heading to the mid 80s with lots of sun. Good tractor day and looking for treasures at the mega garage sale.
Hope you find some good stuff. We're all kind of bummed not getting to go...
Good morning.
51 and raining, .8” since it started, supposed to continue for a few days.

Yesterday wasn’t sunny, but it was dry. I got the little airplane put back together, speaker left with a happy new owner, puttered around and got some shop chores done.

About to go out to breakfast with my wife, today I start my 7th decade. I’m going to celebrate by flying a trip to Manchester,NH this evening. Not much else planned.
Happy Birthday, hope you get a big piece of cake, and prayers for you and your wife getting back going again strong.
Just got word I can now order a 2023 Subaru Forester for December delivery. The Mazda CX-5 I have a deposit on is now in Baltimore and may be delivered to dealer next week, so I’ll stick with it. Smaller vehicle.
A buddy of mine (engineer) is a car NUT. He just bought a CX-50 turbo model. Says he shopped a lot, and he's happy with it. He moved to Fort Collins, and did not want a CVT in the mountains.
I have seen people move out on a lot, building say a 40 by 60 ft poole barn and inside build a small apartment with a mezzanine deck for visits and living while building the permanent house. Then they have the shop space up front locked in and not subject to a veto by spouse
This is a great idea IMO too. I tried to talk my wife into it, but she was pregnant and did not want my FEL bucket as a headboard....
I am nervous. Been a long time since someone raced “my” bike. Keep thinking I have forgotten something, overlooked something, or missed something.

It was less stressful to help with “their” bikes!

Everyone stay safe out there!
With your thoroughness, I'm figuring it will be ok unless some freak thing happens. Hope the young man rider can adjust to the added weight, hp, and speed, and have a good ride. It was always awkward for me to try and change bikes, getting my comfort zone established again. I remember taking novice rider training on a Katana 1100, then getting off and onto my RZ 350 for my very first race.... What a difference.

Waiting for wifey and daughter to get back with more/different painting supplies. I might finally re-hang the pantry door that's been needing it for years....

/ Good morning!!!! #156,743  
Gee, Bird, how fortunate you are. That could have been fatal. Blessed.

/ Good morning!!!! #156,744  
Happy Birthday, Paul
And many more.

/ Good morning!!!! #156,745  
Dennis, not boring at all. I find it interesting. Took us a couple years to get the plan we are living in. Kinda a wild trip looking back. At some point after looking at any number of drawings we sat down and wrote down (in words) the requirements for the house. Tweaked them over time. What a tool. Like you, we drew our own. So were were able to get what we wanted. 15 years later and still feel that way. Once we had a good plan I made a scale model using foam board. Even a car & truck in the garage and mock furniture to get a sense of space. Only made 2 changes, eliminated a slider door in master suite and location of the fireplaces in the bedroom suites.

I had never had a real shop, so thought I was being generous claiming end of the garage. So wrong. Have expanded the shop once, the tractorshed 3 times and a 4th being seriously considered.

Have fun (and share)

Last edited:
   / Good morning!!!! #156,746  
59F and cloudy @ 12:30 ... heading up to a high of 62F with a slight chance of a light rain shower in the next six hours.

Yesterday's high was only 62.2F, still well below normal temp (70F) for this time of year. But I enjoyed the sun.

Slightly below temps will continue until next Friday when the bottom drops out, with highs only in the low 50's and lows in the high 30's. There are a couple of days (Wed, Thurs) with highs in the 70's though.

Thankfully, it's predicted to be mostly dry throughout that period, with only a slight chance of of a little rain today. Historically October tends to be one of our drier months.

Looks like a high pressure system to the north will keep the rain from Ian mostly at bay. Hurricane Center now predicts that what is left of Ian will turn and head southeast so it would appear that we've mostly dodged the bullet from that as far as rain goes.

Started moving stuff out of the barn and sorting it, once that's done will need to work on getting it tarped up.

Got hay wagon moved over to the house yesterday, along with much of the dimensional lumber that was stored in the barn. There are still a couple of pallets of lumber left to move however before I can finish sorting and organizing that.

Also gathered up and staged more scrap metal for the trip to the recyclers.

Continued grading work in front of pole barn.

Located rippers for box blade and got those installed, although I still need to grab a linch pin for one of the retainers and lock it in.

Rental company dropped off rough terrain scissor lift, guy that dropped it off said he didn't see any issues with where I plan to operate it:

IMG_2026 copy.jpg

It's fairly easy to operate if a bit unnerving from 5' up while on the platform. The only issue I had was taking care to go light on the joystick on the clay I added on the front side of the barn to avoid digging in. I had run over the clay with the Kubota to compact it, but the dirt was a little dry for proper compaction and the additional weight (>8,000 lbs vs 2,500 for the Kubota) makes the scissor lift want to dig in.

The ground has continued to dry up down there yesterday with the sun we got. That will continue over the next five days.

Agenda for the rest of the day:

Check live trap which I rebaited yesterday.

Get that linch pin put in on the box blade.

See if I can locate the 2" hitch ball so I can move the log splitter out of the barn. If I can't (easily) find it, will probably just run down to Harbor Freight and pick up another one.

Probably grab another 4 gallons of diesel if I go out.

Get vapor barrier and geo-tex unloaded from the van and sweep out the cargo area.

Continue working on moving stuff out of the barn and work on sorting out stuff I have already moved out.

Finalize and place Menards order for some additional items.

Hope everyone is having a good Saturday ... (y)

/ Good morning!!!! #156,747  
I have seen people move out on a lot, building say a 40 by 60 ft poole barn and inside build a small apartment with a mezzanine deck for visits and living while building the permanent house. Then they have the shop space up front locked in and not subject to a veto by spouse

My early plans, while less expansive were similar. As we planned to relocate from Georgia to Hawaii we had 2 boxer dogs & 2 cats. The reality of finding a suitable rental were slim to none. Decided we could build a shed that would be livable as well as storage while building. Settled on a 16x20 two story plan. A full bath, but only partial kitchen it served use well 2 years while building. I figured what we saved in rental paid cost of construction. I figured it would be a great man cave/shop as I had already space planned at the house. Never happened. Shed morphed into cottage, full kitchen, large covered lanai, 1/2bath, even large carport, but not a workshop. No real regrets though as it has been nice financially and fun projects as I made changes.

/ Good morning!!!! #156,749  
Wow Bird, You were very lucky not to wear that. Sorry about your windscreen mate.
Happy Birthday to Paul and David too. I had my 74th the other day. I tell my wife I was a Christmas 'naughty.'
Raining here at the moment. Hope it dries before the truck comes with the cabin or it is going to leave trenches on my manicured lawn.
Have a great weekend all.

/ Good morning!!!! #156,750  

The realtor already said the county frowns upon that, that was my first idea. . But really, if built to code I can’t see why you can’t though.
I got $50k estimate for 30x40 pole barn built.