My Evolution of Burning Fires

/ My Evolution of Burning Fires #1  

WVH1977

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40, Hitachi EX100, Gravely Pro-Turn 152
I started my burning career with burning sticks in the burn barrel behind the house. Then I graduated to using a rake and pitch fork in piles on the ground. After that I started drinking beer with music, friends and hot dogs while burning bigger piles with the rake, chainsaw, axe and pitchfork. Cleared about a 1/4 acre of brush and trees at my parents house burning and drinking everything in site. It took a lot of beer and late nights to clear that land!!

As I got older, I quit drinking, bought house, land and tractor. Started bigger fires and used the tractor bucket to clean up around the fire. Bought a grapple and started really burning piles of brush.

15A89F4A-ECCD-44FF-A4FA-0E54D801EED6.jpeg

Finally, I have reached the pinnacle. I now use an excavator and tractor to move and burn even bigger piles of brush/stumps. Don't drink beer anymore though and have money in the pocket.

A58C8A1E-05C0-4185-A2C9-F3300C02CA32.jpeg
935D1264-B5F7-4E2D-A8E4-81C4F04146BD.jpeg

Also, as with everything else discussed on this site tractor and equipment related, the excavator and tractor are getting smaller everyday and I find my self wanting bigger tractors and excavators!!!! Maybe next thing will be a D9 Dozer!!! :LOL: As lots of folks on here say, BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR!!!!

/ My Evolution of Burning Fires #3  
Good story. When I was a kid the neighbors up the road had a huge boulder they wanted gone; it was so close to the house that we could barely squeeze between the two. Every night over the course of several years they would go out, build a big fire next to it and socialize. After a while the rock would get brittle and they would knock a piece off with a sledge hammer. Eventually they got it whittled down enough so that my father could hook onto the remnants with the Willys pickup and drag it off; giving them a place to build their garage.

Your excavator would have made that job go a lot quicker. 👍

/ My Evolution of Burning Fires #4  
I know what you mean about burning progressing on the property.

I started by burning all of the tree branches in a 3' diameter fire ring, it took for ever but I enjoyed the process for a couple of years.

Then I built my brush forks for the MF tractor and had a big cleared area close to the road.

I would pile the branches with the tractor as high as the FEL would place them.

I would also pack the pile down with the bucket.

The burn pile is about 14' diameter and about 8' tall.

I start the fire using a "Big Max" 500,000 BTU propane torch and I think the flames can be seen from space...

Now I only need to sit and watch the burn pile fire for about 2 hours.

KC

Fall burn pile 2022 1 of 2 .jpg
Fall Burn Pile 2022 2 of 2 .jpg

/ My Evolution of Burning Fires #5  
I started my burning career with burning sticks in the burn barrel behind the house. Then I graduated to using a rake and pitch fork in piles on the ground. After that I started drinking beer with music, friends and hot dogs while burning bigger piles with the rake, chainsaw, axe and pitchfork. Cleared about a 1/4 acre of brush and trees at my parents house burning and drinking everything in site. It took a lot of beer and late nights to clear that land!!

As I got older, I quit drinking, bought house, land and tractor. Started bigger fires and used the tractor bucket to clean up around the fire. Bought a grapple and started really burning piles of brush.

View attachment 765042

Finally, I have reached the pinnacle. I now use an excavator and tractor to move and burn even bigger piles of brush/stumps. Don't drink beer anymore though and have money in the pocket.

View attachment 765043View attachment 765044

Also, as with everything else discussed on this site tractor and equipment related, the excavator and tractor are getting smaller everyday and I find my self wanting bigger tractors and excavators!!!! Maybe next thing will be a D9 Dozer!!! :LOL: As lots of folks on here say, BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR!!!!
Sounds like a blast, sorry the drinking didn't work out:)

Best,

ed

/ My Evolution of Burning Fires #6  
I've heated with wood stoves for more than 30 years. So anything larger than my wrist gets cut to length and split.

The little stuff goes through the chipper shredder. The wife likes the way the gardens look when mulched that way.

A burn is for evenings when friends are around.

/ My Evolution of Burning Fires #7  
You havnt had a big enough fire if you didnt load it with a machine and the fire dept show up.

2yrs ago I had a big enough fire. They showed up, I spread out the stumps I was burning and wet everything down. I didnt call them nor did I need them.

/ My Evolution of Burning Fires #8  
Here in Cali and just recently having a wild fire at my doorstep, I tend to keep fires relatively small (4 ft. diameter) and easy controllable.... Being a pyro is ok if you must, just not in my neighbor hood.... Also just complete portable water tank system with tank and pump and hose to move to site where fire is to help control fire so it does not get out of hand...

/ My Evolution of Burning Fires #10  
Pryo, Hmm...?

My bi annual burning of slash from my trees and property has nothing to do with pleasure of starting/watching fire!

It is a chore that I've slashed my time invested in to a minimum.

All of us posting here have survived many stressful and life threatening experiences.

In Montana I live in a forested community that has a "fire wise" rating, and our only problem is with 1 neighbor, just a baseball throw away, the USFS.

They do not perform any clean up and have started many fires first listed as "prescribed burns".

Thanks for the advise, but California is at the top of 5 states i'll not even step into.

In Montana, our loggers have slash piles 10 times the size of mine and I wouldn't dare call any of them a pyro.

And F.Y.I., I do have hand tools, tractor, working water hose with good well pressure, and a 2" gas powered water pump (and year around creek with plenty of water near the burn pile) when burning.

My previous post was about reducing days of labor spent to burn to now only hours of labor to burn.

1 more thing: We had a wildfire a few years back at the front door and another wildfire at the back door at the same time, with smoke (mostly from CA) so thick you couldn't cut it, and I still have a cough from that smoke and we were evacuated for over 2 weeks.

KC

enough said, maybe too much...