My Evolution of Burning Fires

/ My Evolution of Burning Fires #11  
Alot of the issue of fires getting away from someone is not waiting. Not waiting for the correct conditions. I wait for a wet day, rain in the forecast, next to no wind. Some areas never have a good time to burn, I believe those mostly have yearly forest fire issues.

To get rid of junk wood I have started to use a 275gal oil tank with the top cut off. Limits the need for conditions to be perfect. I still wont burn if theres a wind.

/ My Evolution of Burning Fires #12  
Good story. When I was a kid the neighbors up the road had a huge boulder they wanted gone; it was so close to the house that we could barely squeeze between the two. Every night over the course of several years they would go out, build a big fire next to it and socialize. After a while the rock would get brittle and they would knock a piece off with a sledge hammer. Eventually they got it whittled down enough so that my father could hook onto the remnants with the Willys pickup and drag it off; giving them a place to build their garage.

Your excavator would have made that job go a lot quicker. 👍
There is a LARGE boulder known as Giant Rock out here in the desert. Supposedly it is the largest “boulder” in the US. Anyway, for years people built fires against an overhang area of the rock and this happened.

ed19ccfe-a4ef-4eb7-9a29-41752cbcd409-png.765229

Attachments

• ED19CCFE-A4EF-4EB7-9A29-41752CBCD409.png
    ED19CCFE-A4EF-4EB7-9A29-41752CBCD409.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 590
   / My Evolution of Burning Fires #14  
My burn piles kept getting larger and larger as well so I bought myself a PTO wood chipper. Big mistake, too much work chipping branches and then the issue of what to do with all the chips. Just so many flower beds to put them in so I sold it (for more than I paid for it) and went back to roasting. way more fun anyway.

/ My Evolution of Burning Fires #15  
Love burn piles, great way to spend weekend time. Never been as large as the OP's post however. Been clearing and burning an area for our home for years. Finally built last year, and I miss it. Starting the process on another piece of land, and will start clearing other areas near the house, just to pretty it up. I have been thinking of a chipper as well, perhaps chipping all my trails in the woods and fields would be nice.

/ My Evolution of Burning Fires #17  
I’ve had many large burn piles on the last 2 properties. Some stacked by hand, some with machines. Those have been burned out in the middle of a large pasture.

My current pile is in the rear of the property, near a wooded area.

I’m not burning that one until it rains!

Here’s a few pics..

20170222_120355_Original.JPG

IMG_2782.JPG

20190406_151619_Original.JPG

20180429_131200_Original.JPG

20170222_120355_Original.JPG

20150326_141011_Original.JPG

/ My Evolution of Burning Fires #18  
Here’s a short video with a Beavis impression. I guess you could say I’m a cultured sophisticate AND a pyromaniac!

My fence lines do look nice now

/ My Evolution of Burning Fires #19  
20200607_204758.jpg

A medium sized one. A few years ago I cleared a spot for a cabin, this is everything that wasn't firewood grade. I even dug up the stumps of about 10 trees and burn them also. The area is a nice mowable clearing in a mature hardwood forest now.

/ My Evolution of Burning Fires #20  
It's getting harder and harder to have a burn pile in CA. Calfire charges over $100 for a burn permit besides a yearly tax of over $100 AND more fees in the property taxes. To burn you have to notify the fire dept. that morning and confirm it is a burn day. Here it is only green/wet in the winter so burning can't happen after April. My neighbors and I have piles so large they sometimes burn for multiple days.