The members here are better off growing and eating a lot of garlic.๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ

/ The members here are better off growing and eating a lot of garlic.๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ #1  

jkk04

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 410 backhoe, MF 30 industrial tractor, IH TD-14 dozer, New Holland TZ24DA
***Health benefits of garlic***
1. Better Blood Pressure
2. Lower Cholesterol
3. Reduced Risk of Heart Disease
4. Garlic for Colds and Flu
5. Better Athletic Performance
6. Stronger Bones
7. Improved Memory
8. Super Skin

/ The members here are better off growing and eating a lot of garlic.๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ #2  
That's not enough to grow. Take 40X that crop.

The clove ball needs to be the size of a baseball. Thai garlic with the purple streaks has a nice heat and flavor.

1665880855102.png

/ The members here are better off growing and eating a lot of garlic.๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ
The garlic sprouted very well 2 weeks after planted

1.jpg

/ The members here are better off growing and eating a lot of garlic.๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ #5  
The garlic sprouted very well 2 weeks after planted

View attachment 768865
If you live in the north, I would highly recommend locating yard tree leaves of oak and maples to cover them before the snows arrive. It's the only way we can grow 2 year garlic up here.

/ The members here are better off growing and eating a lot of garlic.๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ #6  
If you live in the north, I would highly recommend locating yard tree leaves of oak and maples to cover them before the snows arrive. It's the only way we can grow 2 year garlic up here.
I grew garlic in Alaska, I never covered it, I mean the snow covered it, but that's all. It didn't grow quite as big there, but it grew just fine.

I still live where it gets cold, just not as cold as it did in Alaska, and I don't cover it here either.

If the garlic sprouts and the frost burns it down, don't worry they will come back and grow just fine in the spring.

SR

Last edited:
   / The members here are better off growing and eating a lot of garlic.๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ #7  
I grew garlic in Alaska, I never covered it, I mean the snow covered it, but that's all. It didn't grow quite as big there, but it grew just fine.

I still live where it gets cold, just not as cold as it did in Alaska, and I don't cover it here either.

If the garlic sprouts and the frost burns it down, don't worry they will come back and grow just fine in the spring.

SR
That's good to know. I finally got my garlic in the ground Monday, as well as some onion sets which never got planted this spring.
Today they got snowed on... hopefully they will be OK.

/ The members here are better off growing and eating a lot of garlic.๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ #8  
I've got 70 cloves in. Some were up through the leaf cover about 4 inches just last week.
It's taken me four years to go from 10 plants to 70. This number gives my wife and I all the garlic SHE wants in the kitchen (I always push for more) With enough to plant again.
We don't like the big bulbs, golf ball size is fine. a couple of cloves from one of those is enough for just about any cooking need we have. That said, she made a wonderful potato, white bean, garlic and kale soup the other night. That took 6 good cloves and was tasting just right.

Garlic is pretty reliable, I just find a different area to plant in the garden every year. Crop rotation and all that. I do plant close, and harvest the scapes when they come. We like those as well.

eta

I'm just learning that besides hard neck and soft neck garlic varieties, there are also short day and long day types.
It's good to start with the variety that does well in your growing region and then branch out.
I've got about 15 plants in that came up from New Mexico when my daughter moved from there. They grow fine, but are very small. I need to do a "taste off" to see if they are something special or not. I'm no good at making judgement when it's the only flavor on my palate.

Last edited:
   / The members here are better off growing and eating a lot of garlic.๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ #9  
I don't know what I grow. I just buy a few bulbs in bulk at the grocery store and plop those in the ground. Usually I never get it into the ground until spring so end up with small bulbs... this year I had the harvested bulbs in a box in the bed of my truck and the next day there was mouse skat in it. I'm not eating THAT... :(

/ The members here are better off growing and eating a lot of garlic.๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ