Need advice on buying best value on small loader/backhoe

/ Need advice on buying best value on small loader/backhoe #11  
You can find a decent full sized TLB - JD 310, Case 580, CAT 416/420 with 2-3000 hours for $40-50K range - this is a much better buy and will do everything you need then you can resell it for similar $ or keep it.

Or you can get a more experienced JD/Case/CAT full sized TLB with 4000+ hours for $25-35K if you are patient and know what to look for in these older machines, they will work a long time if properly maintained.

/ Need advice on buying best value on small loader/backhoe #12  
I trained on a Case 580 about a hundred years ago in heavy equipment class. Incredible machine.
I was a mechanic at a Case dealer and worked on many 580's in the late 70's - great machines - so you know what the full size TLB can do, what's the reservation on getting an experienced machine?

/ Need advice on buying best value on small loader/backhoe #13  
You can find a decent full sized TLB - JD 310, Case 580, CAT 416/420 with 2-3000 hours for $40-50K range - this is a much better buy and will do everything you need then you can resell it for similar $ or keep it.

Or you can get a more experienced JD/Case/CAT full sized TLB with 4000+ hours for $25-35K if you are patient and know what to look for in these older machines, they will work a long time if properly maintained.
Or you can get a very very experienced machine for 8 k like I did.

She sure is Old, Ugly, and been beat on, welded on but imo the Ford 550 has already paid for itself, and still amazed just How strong of digger the hoe is.
I almost bought an add on hoe for a new ish JD 50 hp tractor, and adapted it. Really Glad I didn't

If the OP does not need 4x4 I think really decent TLBs can be had for 16-25 K

/ Need advice on buying best value on small loader/backhoe
The TYM units have either a Yanmar, Deutz or a Kukje engine. For instance, the T574 has the Kukje, the T554 has a Yanmar (this is the RK55). Kukje was the parent company of Branson. TYM bought Kukje some years ago and has slowly been merging the Branson and TYM tractor brands. The T754 (RK75) uses the Deutz.

Who made the 37 hp?

I was a mechanic at a Case dealer and worked on many 580's in the late 70's - great machines - so you know what the full size TLB can do, what's the reservation on getting an experienced machine?

If I knew how to buy quality used iron, I'd do it in a minute. You could not offer the family enough money to buy the '63 Massey 35 (Perkins diesel). But, we can't afford to buy a very expensive machine and then have unexpected major megabuck repairs.

To be honest, I'd much prefer the full sized machines we used in heavy equipment operator school. The difference between those machines and these tiny things is ....... But the cost of the good stuff ........ astronomical. :-(

Or you can get a very very experienced machine for 8 k like I did.

She sure is Old, Ugly, and been beat on, welded on but imo the Ford 550 has already paid for itself, and still amazed just How strong of digger the hoe is.
I almost bought an add on hoe for a new ish JD 50 hp tractor, and adapted it. Really Glad I didn't

If the OP does not need 4x4 I think really decent TLBs can be had for 16-25 K

Beauty does not get the work done. I've only used 4x4 on the JD once and I don't see doing without as a major problem.

Just wish I knew how to access those seasoned deals.....

/ Need advice on buying best value on small loader/backhoe #18  
If I knew how to buy quality used iron, I'd do it in a minute. You could not offer the family enough money to buy the '63 Massey 35 (Perkins diesel). But, we can't afford to buy a very expensive machine and then have unexpected major megabuck repairs.

To be honest, I'd much prefer the full sized machines we used in heavy equipment operator school. The difference between those machines and these tiny things is ....... But the cost of the good stuff ........ astronomical. :-(

And that's the problem: The guys who understand how to buy quality used iron don't have to to worry about unexpected major megabuck repairs.

When looking at used machines, those guys rarely miss important warning signs. But if they do, they simply shrug and fix it themselves for the price of parts. "Major megabuck repairs" just aren't a part of their world.

If you are looking to buy for value, it's like anything else: You are more likely to find real value in tractors that cost more and give you long term use and resale than you will in tractors whose main attraction is that they cost less initially.

That goes for anything whose useful lifespan is counted in decades instead of years.

rScotty

/ Need advice on buying best value on small loader/backhoe #19  
And that's the problem: The guys who understand how to buy quality used iron don't have to to worry about unexpected major megabuck repairs.

When looking at used machines, those guys rarely miss important warning signs. But if they do, they simply shrug and fix it themselves for the price of parts. "Major megabuck repairs" just aren't a part of their world.

If you are looking to buy for value, it's like anything else: You are more likely to find real value in tractors that cost more and give you long term use and resale than you will in tractors whose main attraction is that they cost less initially.

That goes for anything whose useful lifespan is counted in decades instead of years.

rScotty
Or at least that is the marketing ploy of brands that price high. You will get as much useful life from a Toyota as you will from a Lexus, but you pay a premium for that fancy badging. Even worse if you pay a premium for a brand like Mercedes.

Year after year, objective evidence shows that price and reliability are not directly correlated, but people continue to spew that nonsense as if it were gospel. Don't let facts get in the way of a good opinion.

/ Need advice on buying best value on small loader/backhoe #20  
Last edited: